WISHES IS GONE (leaving in May)

Exactly. The kids that are seeing these movies will grow up and have families and they'll be classic movies to them. Stuff that is classic to us will be as ancient as a silent film is to me ;)
And many of the movies on the list for the new show are classics from the childhood of those with little ones now, like Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast. They are "new movies" to me, but not my DD (in her mid 30's)
You've got to find what appeals to all and like it or not, newer movies appeal

Agreed!

It wouldn't be enjoyable for my family to experience a Disney that only showcases older/classic shows and characters. My kids wouldn't relate to it.
They are 5 and 6 and they don't get excited over classics like Cinderella or Peter Pan...the connection isn't there for them.

But magic happens the moment my daughter sees Elsa.

It's important to keep some of that old/classic Disney but it's also important to keep things relevant for a new generation of Disney lovers.

And the first time I saw Frozen and Zootopia and Moana my kids were there. So these movies are special to me too because we've discovered them as a family and my kids love for them is contagious. :)

Could you at least project on the back of the castle? Or are there projections already there? We normally watch Wishes from Frontierland and I have no idea what they'd do about projections back there. A few removable screens on Tom Sawyer Island?

At DLR they used the water screens for Fantasmic in the Rivers of America for the projections in Frontierland. It would be awesome to do something like that at MK, but I don't see them installing the water screens in ROA.

I will miss Wishes... the music is my favorite! That being said, I look forward to seeing what this new show has to offer!

Not sure if this was covered, but will they still have "Celebrate the Magic?"

And if so does that mean there will be three projection shows in a row CTM-HEA-CTM ? :confused:

Not sure if this was covered, but will they still have "Celebrate the Magic?"

And if so does that mean there will be three projection shows in a row CTM-HEA-CTM ? :confused:

CTM ended a while ago and has been replaced by a new projection show, Once Upon a Time. It only shows once a night, either before or after Wishes.

Wishes was new my first trip to WDW so it is special but based on what I've seen and heard I think Disney will create a worthy successor. Can't wait to see it!

CTM ended a while ago and has been replaced by a new projection show, Once Upon a Time. It only shows once a night, either before or after Wishes.

It seems like they'll have to show Once Upon a Time and then Happily Ever After. The names can't be a coincidence.

It seems like they'll have to show Once Upon a Time and then Happily Ever After. The names can't be a coincidence.

The only issue will be with how the schedule the evening events.
Right now OUAT is playing before Wishes, but once MISI moves to evening hours, it will be played after.
During the summer this won't be an issue with HEA at 10, but once it shifts back to 8 or 9 showings, something will have to be moved

I'm actually pretty unhappy about this. Usually when something leaves I'm okay with it. I usually get excited about new things.. but this one hurts.

I think the soundtrack always hit me pretty hard. We go every year for Christmas and see the Holiday version. Wishes and the holiday season always went well together. Our first time there for Christmas was the year my dad went into remission and I remember thinking how ridiculous it felt, but I "wished" that my dad would stay healthy and we'd never have to endure that again. So far, so good. But it always stuck with me.

I'm most likely going with my little cousins next October and always felt that Wishes (and the Nighttime parade) would be a special moment shared with them. I guess that won't happen.

With that said, I am excited for new things at Disney. Going as often as many of us do, Disney could get a little repetitive time to time. It's nice when they do change things up.

For today's children, who will eventually grow into adults, those "basic movies" are movies they grew up with & that are special to them. They certainly did have an impact! :)

People like to idealize their own childhoods - to the point that some never leave, and not in a good way :scared1: - but the reality is that times change & Disney would do well to incorporate a good mix of older and newer films.

I am in agreement. I love the classics, but to my children and grandchild, classics have additional films added.

I'm doing the same thing. I can't get the cost for 3 nights under $1000 for 2 people, and that is a lot of money for 2 days in the parks, mainly to see the fireworks. $420 for 2 2-day base tickets, I'm having a hard time with. Airfare is the same, and then a value resort for 3 nights, ick. Can't quite do it.

I love Wishes, and my last viewing experience was not ideal--someone stepped in front of me at the last minute, blocking a lot of my view. I thought, "Oh well, I'll see it next time". And now there may not be a next time. :sad:

I thought I was the only one! My daughter said that if I google Disney Addict I would hear "hello Nancy"

I have never seen Wishes from behind the Castle, I always figured there would be a next time.

Wow, I am so glad our trip is coming up in a few weeks so we can get to see Wishes one more time. I hope the new show is above and beyond spectacular. I hope they also bring back a nighttime parade since they sent MSEP to Disneyland.

announced today that it will be replaced in May with "happily ever after". I'm so sad!! What does everyone else think?

Honestly, I'm completely heartbroken :(
Wishes is very special to my family and it's our favorite thing in all of WDW. We haven't been there all together in 6 years, because we live half way across the world and it's just too expensive to go as often as we'd like. This summer we're finally going again. I just can't believe I won't get to see Wishes again with my parents, my brother and my husband at least one last time...I actually cried when I heard it was being retired. I know it sounds silly, but it feels like losing a friend without getting to say goodbye. I don't think this change is necessary at this time considering Wishes is still amazingly popular. With the new show at the castle, the newish parade and the new projection show before Wishes, I think there was no need to renew a still beloved classic which is a staple for many park goers. Not everything has to have Elsa in it...

Agreed!

It wouldn't be enjoyable for my family to experience a Disney that only showcases older/classic shows and characters. My kids wouldn't relate to it.
They are 5 and 6 and they don't get excited over classics like Cinderella or Peter Pan...the connection isn't there for them.

But magic happens the moment my daughter sees Elsa.

It's important to keep some of that old/classic Disney but it's also important to keep things relevant for a new generation of Disney lovers.

And the first time I saw Frozen and Zootopia and Moana my kids were there. So these movies are special to me too because we've discovered them as a family and my kids love for them is contagious. :)

Please forgive me for getting a little off topic here, but I think getting to see the movies in a movie theater really adds to the Magic and builds that connection you mention. Cinemark movie theaters host a Disney Screen in select theaters around the country. Each week they show a different selection of Disney films- some animated, some live action, usually tied together with a theme. It's super fun to get to see classics on the Big Screen again! Especially if the kiddos never had a chance to see them in a theater before.

http://images.cinemark.com/cinemark-disney-screen

I'm so crushed! Wishes is my all time favorite part of Disney a world. I love fireworks but these are so special to our family. Out last trip we only got to see Wishes once even though we were there a week. I was sad but knew we'd see it again. Not now! I was almost in tears when I heard. I know that's sad, I'm a grown adult but for real almost in tears.

Oh my goodness....... we LOVE LOVE LOVE Wishes!!! Have a trip in June to celebrate DD’s high school graduation- and she loves Wishes so much- she is going to be so disappointed when she hears this.
I sure hope Tink flies in the new show. It would really crush her if not.

I'm really worried that the shows will start to depend too much on projections. Listening to the music and watching the fireworks has been an awesome experience from other places around Seven Seas Lagoon like the Poly and Contemporary resorts for a long time. Even if you are somewhere that you can't hear the soundtrack, the fireworks are still a grand spectacle. If you spend the extra money for a theme park view room because you love seeing the fireworks every night, but the soundtrack starts to not make sense without seeing the projections and the fireworks are a bit sporadic, this will seriously degrade the experience for a lot of guests. I'm just saying the fireworks need to be able to stand alone and continue to be an amazing show no matter what your viewing location is.

So many take every change Disney does these days as negative. No change can possibly be positive, an improvement. It seems as though it's "cool" to "hate" on changes at Disney.
Thankfully, I'm not cool. Sure, they make mistakes. A bit too many these days. But not everything they do is to screw over the guest. Sometimes the complaints that it is their goal get old.
I'm optimistic about the change. It's too much of a centerpiece to screw up.

Anything is possible but I think drones is extremely unlikely.
I know little about drones but would they ever have them 1, over the head of thousands of people and 2, around where fireworks are in the sky?
I agree. The test that they ran at DS was cool but hardly capable at this point of being a replacement for fireworks.

I am crushed by this news! Wishes has such an importance in my heart and I have loved it since I first saw it on my 13th birthday! Since then, I always wanted my future husband to propose to me during the show. Luckily last month, my boyfriend proposed to me on our 10 year anniversary, right at the end of the show and it was a dream come true! We were really counting on seeing it in the same spot on our Honeymoon in October, but of course now that won't happen. :(

I am trying to find a way to get there and see it one last time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter