Wish Trippers...Unite!! Volume One

IluvMickey... we did not have a CD player in our villa, and I don't know if they have any to borrow from the caring center (next to the House of Hearts). Small ones are pretty cheap now adays, however, and Wal-Mart is only a few blocks away from the village. :goodvibes

Camster... I am the kind of parent who does not back down very well when I have a question. I think our oncologist still cringes when she sees me, after 5 years, because I never accepted the short answer. I always wanted to analyze the details for myself. I believe this resulted in better care from my daughter, but the loss of the "Prince Charming" label with the oncologist. For some reason, the nurses seemed to have a "you go guy" :woohoo: attitude after I had asked questions of doctors. :confused3

I had this same attitude with the Wish Trip Planner, who is a long-time acquaintance that I really respect. I was not going to just "leave well enough alone" however. For a perfectionist, there is no such thing as well enough anyway.:rolleyes1

I kept asking for what Lysi wanted, and I am sure it got kind of tiring to them to hear it. She was VERY professional and experienced though, so she tried hard not to let it show. She did a pretty good job of hiding whatever "What on earth does he want now" thoughts she may have had. :rolleyes:
The regional office staffer was a lot more upbeat about these challenges and never balked at answering my questions.

Make a Wish had a policy against allowing recipients to extend their stay at their own expense because they had been burned. On one trip, a family did this and then ran up a big bill for Make a Wish to pay. That is really TOO bad, because it spoiled things for others.

As far as rule violations here, I have not seen any "yield" sign. I don't know what that would be, but I do get PMs from the monitors when I break a rule. Now I have an infraction that is continuously listed on my CP. :eek:
warning2.jpg

They have always been very nice to me. I did spend some time today reviewing the rules, but there is a lot to remember.

I haven't gotten a pm from anyone like the one you showed. What did you do that they had a problem with? Anyway, I was referring to that triangle outlined in red at the left-hand bottom corner. I'm still new to the disboards - not quite understanding all the symbols!:confused3

As far as getting what I want for Amanda's trip - I need to get over the guilt factor. Like all MAW kids, she's been through alot and she deserves this trip to be everything that she wants. I will be asking until I get what Amanda wants!:woohoo:

I am sorry to post something sad on this beautiful site.

A family, who have a pre-trip report here and was visiting WDW at POP and arrived about the time we left, was involved in a tragic accident last week. There little baby Levi was killed. The Dad (Matt), sister Isabelle and mother Alicia should recover.

I do not know this family, but you feel that you come to know folks in a way when you read their trip reports. Please lift up a prayer for them.

Bill

I too was very persistant with getting info from our wish chapter. I kind of skipped the middle man (our wish grantor) and went straight to the wish coordinator at the headquarters in Des Moines. She was more than ok with me talking to her directly. I NEEDED to know our dates ahead of time (more than a few weeks out) because we were adding two days on our own and needed to find a place to stay for those two days. (Saratoga Springs Baby!! :banana: ) Plus I NEEDED to know our flights because my MIL is going with us and she needed to purchase a plane ticket also. We also talked a lot regarding car seats and strollers. She said that they get a wide spectrum of people....those who call them constantly and those they never hear from. I cannot imagine not having to talked to them at ALL. So I would not worry about bothering them as many times as you feel necessary....IT IS YOUR TRIP....make it what you want!!!!! :cheer2:

I found the comments about not feeling guilty getting a MAW trip interesting. I agonized a lot about Alize's trip. I know he'll enjoy it but not to the extent a lot of your kids have. In all honesty, I could take him anywhere that there is music and a crowd and he'd love it. This trip however will mean a lot to Charlie and me as a special time with our son. I've started my own pretrip but am very computer challenged so I don't know if I got it added to my signature correctly.:confused3 Karen

You did a great job adding your thread link to your signature. I just learned today how to add a link without it looking like a website address. Here is what you do:

Type in the title of the link, such as the title of your TR. Next, high-light the title by starting at the right end- holding the left mouse button down--dragging the mouse to the beginning of the title. Then, click on the button in the grey area above your text box that looks like a world with a chain link on it. Paste or type the internet address in the box that pops up. Then click okay. You will end up with a link that looks like normal text underlined, but will work as a link to the site.

Cool, huh? I am going to try that with my signature tonight, so I can save lines in the signature.

Keep up the good work with your TR.

Bill, beautiful poem.

I think that is a great idea, to have an ongoing, weekly updated, calendar of when folks are taking wish trips. I am not sure how it would work technically, because to have a fixed place to find it, it seems like it would have to be page 1 of a thread. Then each week, someone (whoever started it) would have to edit that post to reflect the new information. Otherwise, you could have a thread that is a dates only thread, where people would post there dates and we could refer to it. Every so often, someone would need to review the dates and make a post that summarizes the upcoming trips. I have seen something like that on the "Who's going in (fill in the blank for the month)" threads. Someone takes the initiative to update everyone's dates now and then. I guess the most current post could be updated as a link in the signatures of whoever wants to do this. I am sure game.

Can someone else think of a better way to do it?

I added alizesmom's pre-trip link. As people post their pre-trip links, I'll try to add them. Someone nudge me if I miss one. For those who don't have pre-trips/don't want to do one, then I guess I could just put their info on the spot. How does that sound? I can make changes if something else would work.

Secondly, you speak of a violation in your profile - is that what that "yield" symbol means? Why do we get it and what does it mean? Have been wondering.

The little exclamation point at the bottom left is to report an offensive post. That's probably what is doing Bill in. Someone keeps reporting him. But Bill, really, what are you saying. And did you get another infraction for posting that letter that I didn't get to read!?! You're going to get yourself kicked out! Better stick to this thread. LOL

I'm not feeling terribly well so am in a grumpy mood. Please don't take offense if I sound well, grumpy, or whatever. Its been a very long day.

And tomorrow is even longer. Wheee!

I didn't get a warning sign. The only infraction I was notified about was for my signature being too big, and they graciously did not give me points for that. Actually, I have found the monitors to be very polite, kind, patient and professional. They have given me some helpful information on posting rules. I have asked a few questions on the technical threads, and have learned a lot that way. Camster was the one asking about the yield sign thingy.

What letter are you talking about.... Oh, wait, I think you must mean the "letter" that Sarah or someone referred to in an earlier post. That was some other Bill, not me.

It would be great to post people's trip dates, even if they don't want to do pre-trip report.

Bill

Alizesmom, I felt very guilty at first when I even started asking to see if DD would quaify for the trip.....why....because in my mind she is cured from her original diagnosis, HLH. If you were to see her now, you would never know what her little body has gone through, she is a "normal" 4 year old. I had even told another family that we know from the hospital that we were not going to do a MAW trip. Then I got thinking about it one day. My DD has gone through A LOT, as I am sure every one else's child on here has. The difference for me was that all of DD's medical stuff went on while she was under 2. So, I said to myself, why is that any different from a child who is say age 8 or 9? She went through just as much as anyone else. She deserves this trip for what she went through,she just doesn't remember going through it. Like you said, mom and dad deserve the trip too. My DH and I practically spent three months apart during transplant time. I stayed in Iowa City with my daughter while my husband had to stay home and work, 2.5 hours away. He came down for a weekend here and there (he works every other weekend) and he was there for a few days around her transplant date. Otherwise we were on our own. This trip will be a time for us to be together also. DD1 has so far shown no signs of HLH, which is genetic. But she has been poked so many times in her short life so far, she deserves it too. Then there's my MIL who is going with us. We were living with her when we went through all of this, so I feel she needs this vacation too. She went through just as much as we did (plus I can't remember the last time she took a vacation!). So, I am grateful that we have been given the chance to take this vacation. I no longer feel guilty. Especially after reading all of the wonderful reports on here. The trip is not JUST for the child, it is for the entire family, a chance for them to feel like a family again. So, go, enjoy your trip and DON"T feel guilty!!!! :hug:

(hope I didn't ramble on too much there) :sad2:

Ok GKTW Trippies, I have a few questions for you-

The GKTW camera was referred to- is that a regular camera and video camera? How did that work? Is it available anytime? What did you take with you-memory card, or did they put your pics on a DVD or CD?

GKTW Activities-What were the must do activities and why?

For anyone with food allergies- Were they able to prepare a separate dinner that they could eat, or should we plan on bringing his dinner? Breakfast is easier because there is always cereal and fruit. Do they have dairy free ice cream at the ice cream parlor or did they do that specifically for your child? Were any allergy kids they made arrangements for not the wish child?

Did you do photopass? How many pics did you end up with? Did anyone do the photo session at the GF?

Thanks so much for your help!

Ooo Ooo Ooo! Pick me, pick me, I know the answer. The camera is a medium sized Video camera that records on a mini CD (that fits in the inner circle of your CD drawer). You have to pick one up at the Caring Center, but ask at the House of Hearts first, and they will call over. It comes with a shoulder strap case. They will give you several blank CDs to start and can get you more on another day if you need any. The thing can also take still shots, but we used our digital camera for that. The camera will tell you when the CD is full, just change them out.

IMPORTANT TIP: DO NOT FORGET TO ZIP THE CAMERA BAG SIDE POCKET AFTER BAG CHECKS!

24 hours before you plan to leave the Village you are supposed to bring the camera and disks back to the Caring Center. The camera room is in the corner to the left of the door. They will format your CDs so they can play in a DVD player and will also give you a normal sized CD of all the photos taken of you by Village staff while you are there. Pick all of this up at the House of Hearts before you leave There will be few other cool things given to you as well, like the World Passport.

We were told that there is no longer a place to download your digital camera or go on line at the Village. Make sure you have enough memory cards for your digital camera.... but if you need to, there is always Wal-Mart at the light on Bass.

I don't know anything about special menus.

We did Photopass. It is a MUST. We had pics for each character greet. If you forget to get these while at WDW you can get them online when you return. The website is on the back of the Photopass. The site also has a lot of cool options like a DVD format or a CD as well as printed pics you can buy on line. You can even upload your own pics from your computer to that site and have them printed or included on a disk. Cool huh?

Universal has a similar idea, but they give you one free pic after every character greet kiosk. An additional one candid shot taken by staff at the parks can be obtained for free at the end of the day.

I am definitely not a professional photographer and have a three-year old camera, but our pictures were better than the ones taken at Universal. You are not supposed to take your own pics at US character greets, but we were only asked not too at ET, where we got the WORST picture of the trip.

We never got to GF because we got the castle meal.

GKTW gifts can be purchased on-line. Perhaps you have seen the link on their website. There is no store at the Village where you can purchase this really COOL stuff. I am getting excited about buying some of these things on line, like the snow globe, Mayor Clayton tie, tote bags, key chain, etc.

At the House of Hearts inquire about a shipping discount for Village guests when ordering on line.

For anyone with food allergies- Were they able to prepare a separate dinner that they could eat, or should we plan on bringing his dinner? Breakfast is easier because there is always cereal and fruit. Do they have dairy free ice cream at the ice cream parlor or did they do that specifically for your child? Were any allergy kids they made arrangements for not the wish child?

Did you do photopass? How many pics did you end up with? Did anyone do the photo session at the GF?

Thanks so much for your help!

As far as the food allergies.....definitely read Who'syourmickey pre-trippie, ther is the name of a lady in there that she talked to from GKTW who dealt specificlly with food allergies, she should be able to help you out.

I am looking forward to doing photopass!!! I have read about the GF photo shoot but didn't figure we would have time, plus trying to wrangle 3 adults and DD4 & DD1 in a 20-30 minute session...didn't think we would get enough pics to make it worth the try this time.

Now my turn for ?'s I have been trying to go over my stuff today so that we will be ready for next week!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know some of these questions ere answered in trip reports, silly me thought I would remember the info, or at least who told the info so I could go back and look, but I didn't. :sad2:

Which lane was it that we are to drive in when we park so that we are directed to the parking for us Wish Trippers? Are there signs for handicapped parking...do we just follow those?

5dwarves I think mentioned where in each park to get the stroller. I know it is the front of the parks, but she was more specific as to which side, left or right to enter so that we were closer to them. Anyone help me there? :confused3

Did anyone use the VIP lounges at Epcot like the Wish lounge at MK??

Checking out, is it at an exact time? can you leave earlier? We don't fly out that day, we are going to Saratoga Springs, but I thought it would be nice to go to a park in the morning and then drop off the troops at the resort while I return the rental and then go back to the parks later that night.

I think that is it for now, I may have more later!!!!!! ;)

How do you get a photopass? Karen

When you get to the parks there will be photographers there. The first time you get your picture taken by them, they will give you a card (size of a credit card). Each time thereafter when you get your pic taken by a photographer, give them the card, they will scan it so the pics go into your account. Getting the pics taken is the free part. Getting the pics is the expensive part!! :lmao:

BradK on the theme park board has a good site that explains it......

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/photopass/

How do you get a photopass? Karen

To get a photopass, just approach any WDW photographer on your first day and they will start you up with one. I highly recommend this. It's free to use - when you get home, just go to the website and decide if you want to purchase any of the pix taken. We get one every year and I come home with at least 150 photos on mine! Sometimes, if the photographer isn't busy, he'll take 5-10 pictures of your party - like your own personal photo shoot!:thumbsup2 The photographers are usually at every character greet and at the most photogenic spots in each park.

The website is www.DisneyPhotoPass.com - check it out to see what it offers. What I like is that when I get home, I can check out the pix, add borders, signatures - whatever I want. I also understand there is a discount if you pre-purchase the CD of your photopass beforehand. I did this last year. Had 240 pix on my CD - paid about $100 for the CD, but was then able to print out as many pix as I wanted. Buying one 5x7 at WDW costs about $10 - so it's a deal if you want alot of your pix!:thumbsup2

Wait, wait, I know this one too!

PHOTOPASS: You will be given a photopass the first time you get a picture taken by a Disney CM photographer. Keep this pass and show it to each new photographer so they can scan it. If you are really a masochist, or really like standing in line, go to the photo store in the park's shopping area and wait in line with everyone else at the end of the day to order your pictures. You DO NOT need to do this at each park. It is all on one Disney computer network and can be accessed at any park (or just order on line when you get home). DO NOT lose your photopass.

At US, they give you little slips of paper when they take candid shots, do not lose these like we did or you can't get your one free candid pic to pick up at the end of the day.

PARKING: At Disney Parks, show your GKTW button to the parking attendant at the booth, they will direct you where to go. Follow that path. You may have to show it again to someone when you get farther in. We took our Handicapped Placard with us on the trip. We ended up following a blue line (the color of handicapped parking signs) all the way to where we parked. This was always really close in, even though we were never there at park opening. Remember to make a note of where you are parking, because all the rental cars will look the same when you get back. Use your auto-lock fob to make your horn honk and lights flash. This will help you find your car, and is always fun for freaking out the guys who happen to be walking past your car at the time.

At Universal we, strangely discovered one of the 7-Dwarves (I will let you guess which one..... Snow White already determined that I am Doc as you can read on our TR) was working as a parking attendant, but had morphed into a woman. She was quite put out when I had to fumble around for a US free-parking ticket that was in with our US/ IOA park tickets, and looked like one of these. For your own peace of mind, get these out in advance. You will be told where to go (one way or another) by the parking booth attendant. Don't worry too much about where you park at US as the moving sidewalks will get you where you need to be with ease.

STROLLERS: Stroller rental is always inside the gate, after you go through the turnstile. At SW it was a little ways in. At US it is on your left right past the turnstil, we kept this for both parks, so I am not sure where the IOA one is. At AK it was just to the right. At MK it is under the train track between the 2 tunnel entrances. Go past the tunnels and turn back around to find it. At Epcot, main entrance it was just inside. At the Epcot International entrance the same thing holds true. At MGM we did not get a stroller.

V.I.P. LOUNGES: We did not use the V.I.P. lounges at Epcot, but the Wish Lounge staff at MK told us that Wish Trippers have never had a problem using them to their knowledge. These are run by corporate sponsors, not Disney, but the folks there seem to understand about Wish Trippers.

CHECKING OUT: You have to be out of your Villa by 11:00 a.m. and this is a real time. I went back to check on something at 11:05 and our Villa was being cleaned already. After you remove everything from your Villa, you can either put it in your vehicle (fairly safe as the Village is gated) or they will keep your things for you at the House of Hearts. You are free to stay and enjoy the Village (pool, water play area, trails, mini-golf, train ride, Castle of Miracles etc.) after check out and grab a sandwich and ice cream at the Ice Cream Palace.

Take a picture with your own camera of the back of the photopass (side with photopass#). That way, if you do lose the photopass card, you can still have access to your pix on the website - just plug in the number from the card. If you don't have that number -- you can't get to your pictures!

Camster,

You are a genius! That is one of those, "Now why didn't I think of that," moments. Perhaps it is because I am not a genius like you.:thumbsup2

too funny, Bill - that also works for your ticket backs, Parking location, and Kids at the beginning of each day, so if one strays you can remember what s/he is wearing.

Plus, I always make the first photo on any new card - a photo of a card with my name, resort and dates of stay on it, in the event I lose my camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter