Winter Workouts - Dec. 2022 W.I.S.H. Thread

In my teens and 20's, there were sleepovers and house parties , some I hosted. Once I was old enough, I spent two NYE's in NYC. One year I went with a large group of people. We watched the ball drop in Times Square and guzzled champagne from the bottle...more champagne exploded on my face than I could actually swallow. We rented a room at the Marriott, but our hotel room was so crowded, there was nowhere to lie down and sleep. The other time we went to NYC, we watched the fireworks from SOHO. I remember many nights spent in nightclubs...the most ridiculously expensive way to celebrate, but it was fun.

After getting married, every year has been different...some parties, but nothing as wild as when I was single. The most exciting was probably when we celebrated in WDW. The three of us had dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse and enjoyed the festivities on the boardwalk. We've hosted many sleepovers for DD over the years.

Now we primarily spend quiet NYE's at home staying sober so that we can pick up DD from wherever she is celebrating to ensure that she gets home safely. Tonight she is going to a couple parties with friends, and we will be picking her up from their last stop. This night is more nerve-racking than anything else as we are concerned about all of the intoxicated drivers who are more concerned with their "fun" than the lives of those who would like to be here another year.

Last edited:
Historically I don’t do anything for New Years, which is why discovering Port Townsend’s First Night celebration back in 2019 was so exciting.

I did do the long drive and it was wet 2/3 of the way, then miraculously the clouds cleared and it turned in to a beautiful winter day.

I’ve just had dinner with my Niece and her husband and when I told them about the house down the street from them that is for rent, they were like why aren’t you doing something about it? So I’ve requested a viewing! Jan 1 came up as an option so fingers crossed she’ll get back to me and be able to do it. It is going to mean a lot of work done very quickly to get myself dug out of the current house. OMG… so much to think about. I’m going to trust that if it is meant to be it will happen. And if it is just meant to be the kick in the pants I need to finish clearing out and getting ready, that is also a good thing. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!
How serendipitous!

Change of plans for tonight. DS7's cough is getting worse. As we were debating whether to skip the party or just divide up who was doing what DH got a text the party hosts have colds. Several other attendees are under the weather so the shindig is getting rescheduled.

Tonight happens to be the last night of a drive through Christmas light display at a local farm. So we'll go to that and grab some dinner on the way home. Told DS10 he can stay up do that made him happy so it'll be a case of everyone goes to bed when they feel like it.

Tomorrow will be football and fondue day. DS10 asked me to make a cheese fondue in one of our disney cookbooks so I'll make that with some kielbasa and veggies we can enjoy while watching the games.

Woowhoo DD is doing 4 word sentences on her augmented speech device! Could still really use all the positive thoughts and prayers you can spare for potty training success.

Potty training...ugh!

DD is 25, so obviously she is potty trained lol, but I honestly never thought we would get there. When she was 2, she successfully potty trained over the summer before beginning PreK-3. In August, she got a serious stomach bug and got sick in the toilet to the point that she refused to go near it after she was well. As an early childhood expert, it was very embarrassing to notify her new PreK teacher, a close friend of mine, that she was no longer toilet trained and would not be able to start PreK the following week. Being toilet trained was a requirement of the school. Her teacher told me to send her anyway and just give her one week. It only took one day. She wet her pants, and the other kids who used the bathroom was all the peer pressure she needed to never wet her pants again.
DD was horrible to potty train. She refused to use any public bathroom especially if it was an automatic flush. She would hold it all day while in school and then have an accident on the bus on the way home. The nurse at school finally worked with her to get over this. In first grade she got a special pass to use the bathroom in the nurses office (the only non automatic flush) and she would have DD stand closer to the toilet each time until DD was able to flush it herself.

Good luck with potty training and I hope it comes easy for her.

I have never been one to go out for New Year's. Staying at home playing games, watching the New Years shows and trying to stay awake is what we do every year. A few years ago we started taking a selfie with the 4 of us so that will continue.

Normally we cook for DH's family on New Year's day. We cancelled this year though. DH has the pager at work (so he is on call) and we just were not really into it this year. It is a good thing we cancelled and just about everyone is sick but us.

This week has been good. We have just been hanging out. We have been a bit lazy. Starting tomorrow I am going to get back to working out and losing weight.

We rarely do anything for New Year's. The most memorable one was in 2015. My parents took everyone on a Caribbean Cruise for Christmas. When that ended we went to WDW, because we were already in Florida!! It was 90 degrees every day we were there (and the one day it was 75 we were so cold!). So New Year's Eve we were in Hollywood Studios. We got off Tower of Terror at just about midnight, walked down to the street and watched the fireworks. When I wasn't watching the fireworks I was looking longingly at the ice cream stand across the street. When the fireworks ended I went over and got my ice cream cone. The cashier told me I was the first customer of the new year, wished me a happy new year, and gave it to me for free. That was some awesome pixie dust! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter