Will September really be THAT bad?

We are going in September and I am a bit worried. We have been in September every year since 2004 and each year it gets more crowded. We are planning to make the best of it. I can honestly say my initial gut reaction was being annoyed since I figured we were early enough not to be there when it opens, but alas, I was wrong. We may or may not head over to the SWGE area since we are DL locals and do have a reservation to see it there in June. Had honestly hoped it would open after our trip since we will be dealing with it at DL all summer. But we do have things in HS that we like such as Toy Story Land and Frozen Sing Along.

We are going in September and I am a bit worried. We have been in September every year since 2004 and each year it gets more crowded. We are planning to make the best of it. I can honestly say my initial gut reaction was being annoyed since I figured we were early enough not to be there when it opens, but alas, I was wrong. We may or may not head over to the SWGE area since we are DL locals and do have a reservation to see it there in June. Had honestly hoped it would open after our trip since we will be dealing with it at DL all summer. But we do have things in HS that we like such as Toy Story Land and Frozen Sing Along.

I'm also nervous about September crowds. I've gone many Septembers (not every year) and I liked the low crowds. Now I'm really concerned about the crowds this year. But I figure that if it's TOO crowded, I'll just spend time hanging around the resort.

We are returning this September after a 4 year break. I'm not too worried about the crowds. I assume it will be busy, but I'm not going to stress about it. I'm just going in prepared to manage our time wisely. I figure no matter what, I'll be back at WDW! I'm sure we'll have a great time regardless. Though I am hoping that many SW fans will be waiting for the second ride to open. Fingers crossed.

Here's something that might ease everyone's mind. I just popped over to the WDW website and wanted to see if there were still hotel rooms available (I only looked in the window of my vacation which is going to be 9/8-9/14). Pop Century, which is always my gauge because it's a value resort, still has availability in all room types. Of course I can't say anything definitive because I don't have the data that Disney does, but at this exact moment, with their still being hotel availability, I'm choosing to remain optimistic for a slightly-busier-than-usual September. I know that DHS will be the exception, but lets also figure everyone is going to flock to SWGE so I'll be over at Tower of Terror making myself as happy as can be!

Here's something that might ease everyone's mind. I just popped over to the WDW website and wanted to see if there were still hotel rooms available (I only looked in the window of my vacation which is going to be 9/8-9/14). Pop Century, which is always my gauge because it's a value resort, still has availability in all room types. Of course I can't say anything definitive because I don't have the data that Disney does, but at this exact moment, with their still being hotel availability, I'm choosing to remain optimistic for a slightly-busier-than-usual September. I know that DHS will be the exception, but lets also figure everyone is going to flock to SWGE so I'll be over at Tower of Terror making myself as happy as can be!

And in my opinion that is THE best way to look at it! DHS, doesn't have a lot of rides to "absorb" that SWGE crowd. So I can only imagine what TSL, RnRC, ToT are going to look like those first few weeks. :eek: :earseek: I haven't been in that park in 18 years, but I will drop back in for Star Wars. I'm a fan, not a big one, but big enough to pop back into a park that I lost interest in after I rode everything I wanted and realized the park just wasn't "exciting" enough for me to return again. :duck: If I could be a fly on the wall during the opening days of SWGE. I usually leave the Dis about a week or so after visiting Disney, because being around just depresses me since I know another trip won't happen for a few years. However, this time...I'm sticking around because I can't wait to hear what happens to DHS once everything gets rolling. When we return in 2022 or 2023, I'm sure things will have "died down" a bit by then. Of course....Mine Train has been open for 4 years and that FP is still a toughie to get! :faint: I've been trying to modify my 1:25 FP to noon for 2 days now and it's NOT happening even with the extended hours. So I will just go with it and plan on leaving MK a bit later that day. I know on the day of I could very well find that earlier time and I will try to do just that. My son and I plan on returning for the evening and sticking around for EMH which ends at 1 in the morning! :woohoo:

As a few PPs have said, the demographic that is going to swarm the parks for SWGE opening is more than just families with children. There's a whole Star Wars demographic that are (potentially) not Disney fans per se, but are going to be at HS for this. I'm envisioning SWW on steriods. We are going early December and are still expecting heavy crowds. We are not planning on any SWGE rides (we don't really care all that much), but will take a walk through the land if it's not crazy.

I could have written your post. Lol. I check occasionally as well for the same dates (9/8-9/14) for our vacation. While it's not Wide Open, there's something available at every resort for 2 adults and 2 children (ages 9&10).

As a few PPs have said, the demographic that is going to swarm the parks for SWGE opening is more than just families with children. There's a whole Star Wars demographic that are (potentially) not Disney fans per se, but are going to be at HS for this. I'm envisioning SWW on steriods. We are going early December and are still expecting heavy crowds. We are not planning on any SWGE rides (we don't really care all that much), but will take a walk through the land if it's not crazy.

Yep, I'm going 9/6-9/11 and EVERY resort except for Grand Floridian villas are available.

But even if it is SUPER crowded, I'll be in Disney World, so I'll manage! So long as we don't get hurricanes.

I pretended to look for Dining ADRs yesterday, figuring that if it's really busy in September, there wouldn't be much available, even though it's 4 months out. Yet, every restaurant had lots of availability still (well, Sci-Fi wasn't as available as 50s Prime Time).

I don’t think they will die down. Look at FofP and Mine Train. Still very busy.

I was at WDW last week and I gotta say, FOP surprised me. My sister and I couldn't get FPs for FOP so we rope dropped and basically walked onto the ride. After getting off the ride we got right back in line - 45 min. wait it said, but we were back on in half an hour. Everybody I told that to acted like riding FOP without a Fast Pass twice in an hour was some kind of achievement, but it was very easy.

GE might be a madhouse, but it might also end up as "It's so crowded nobody goes there" and after the first few days not be THAT bad because everybody will stay away thinking it'll be nuts. Guess we'll see!

I was at WDW last week and I gotta say, FOP surprised me. My sister and I couldn't get FPs for FOP so we rope dropped and basically walked onto the ride. After getting off the ride we got right back in line - 45 min. wait it said, but we were back on in half an hour. Everybody I told that to acted like riding FOP without a Fast Pass twice in an hour was some kind of achievement, but it was very easy.

GE might be a madhouse, but it might also end up as "It's so crowded nobody goes there" and after the first few days not be THAT bad because everybody will stay away thinking it'll be nuts. Guess we'll see!
I think recently it’s been very calm crowd-wise at WDW. The calm after spring break but before schools let out. It’s awesome you guys had that experience with FOP but I would by no means consider that typical to the rest of the year. As far as SWGE is concerned, in the miracle event that everyone stays away for fear of crowds—I think that would be super short lived until the reports started coming out about the crowds being low. Then they would be super thick with people rushing to the land who were trying to avoid the crowds in the first place but really wanted to see SWGE if given the chance.

Yep, I'm going 9/6-9/11 and EVERY resort except for Grand Floridian villas are available.

But even if it is SUPER crowded, I'll be in Disney World, so I'll manage! So long as we don't get hurricanes.
Exactly! I have always said a crowded/bad day at Disney World is still better than a good day at work, hah!! Plus, if I had to pick a place to ride out a hurricane (other than home where they aren't so bad), Disney would be my choice. Those buildings (hotels) will withstand almost anything.

I agree. We planned our trip before the SWGE announcement to get the free dining plan. We are staying at Pop. I now have various other family members thinking about joining us, and have found Pop to have all room types available.

I'm cautiously optimistic that it won't be "that bad". I expect SWGE to be a madhouse, and F&W to be busy, but nothing outlandish. This will be my first Sept trip to WDW, we always go over Spring Break, so we are used to very high crowds.

I don’t foresee families taking their kids out of school that early in the semester, just for SWGE.

A lot of people (at least ones I know) are actually more willing to take kids out of school the first part of September vs. later in the year. The first week of school for areas that start after Labor Day is a) a short week and b) thus is typically pretty much a waste, just an intro, this is what we're going to do etc...

Compared to later in the year when you're really getting deeper into material, dealing with tests, exams etc....

So we have been contemplating a trip with our kids and another family Labor Day weekend. My girlfriend called and was discussing hotel and ticket options with a CM and asked about crowds and the extra hours. These extended hours is for sure to try and handle what they already have in booked estimates. She was told they could probably run 24 hours and it still may not be enougho_O. Crowds are going to be at record levels I am sure!

My other thought is what if there is a delay and things don't open as expected? We have never gone to WDW so soon after a new land opening. What are the chances that there are delays with rides, restaurants, etc?

Haven't they delayed some things at Disneyland already?

You have Disney fans and then you also have Star Wars fans! This combined is going to be insane. My gut is telling me we should wait 6 months or so to be sure they at least have everything up and running and completed!

While I think it will be busy, I also think it’s a huge PR move.

For the past 2 years (about ?) people on the boards have been complaining about hours being cut. They have reduced hours significantly specially in slow times. While there has never been consistent 6am openings, I think Disney knows the press around this is going to be huge. Bigger then anything they have done in the parks in years (ever?). The last thing they want is all negative press about how it was horrible and no one could ride.

Yes expect crowds, and expect the extra hours to be packed. But I also think these extra early hours or whatever they are calling it evens out the hours a bit.
Unfortunately for the normal Disney guests they will probably have a press day and the Media will never see the real wait time and crowds.

I had two trips booked for fall (before I knew about SWGE) . it was mainly to have a final trip before AP runs out. I have one booked for Sept and Oct. When it was announced that SWGE was opening, I was shocked. I wasn't expecting to catch it. Now that it is .. I am just anticipating huge crowds no matter if I go Sept or Oct.

I'm pulling my son out of school (2nd grade) and I'm going in October (mainly because it is my daughter's birthday (before she is no longer free!) .. so that was the plan. I expect it to be real bad. October has already been pretty bad (worse than summer?) in recent years. With SWGE only a month old ... I expect it to be bad.

If I didn't have an AP (and this will be our 3rd trip in the year) .. I probably wouldn't go.
So I am pretty much planning just taking it easy .. enjoying the "off" hours (by doing EMH), retiring early to the hotel (which I normally don't do) and doing attractions that aren't popular (but I know my kids will enjoy -- like Little Mermaid and Disney Junior at DHS). Maybe this is the trip we just spend time doing Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom, seeing lots of characters, walking around the whole World Showcase, etc.

I want to be able to walk into SWGE at least one of the days .. look around for a while .. maybe shop. I doubt I will ride Smugglers run. With one kid who can't ride it, I don't know if my family will have the patience to wait it out.

Last edited:
So we have been contemplating a trip with our kids and another family Labor Day weekend. My girlfriend called and was discussing hotel and ticket options with a CM and asked about crowds and the extra hours. These extended hours is for sure to try and handle what they already have in booked estimates. She was told they could probably run 24 hours and it still may not be enougho_O. Crowds are going to be at record levels I am sure!

My other thought is what if there is a delay and things don't open as expected? We have never gone to WDW so soon after a new land opening. What are the chances that there are delays with rides, restaurants, etc?

Haven't they delayed some things at Disneyland already?

You have Disney fans and then you also have Star Wars fans! This combined is going to be insane. My gut is telling me we should wait 6 months or so to be sure they at least have everything up and running and completed!
Once Disney announces an opening it is rare for them to back out, although it did happen with rivers of light.
But I believe for this opening they will have everything ready that they already announced. In DL as well as here everything is owning minus Rise of the resistance

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter