Will I be disappointed by Disneyland/DCA?

While I'm a WDW regular and only rarely visit DL my advice is don't compare a thing when you go to one, or the other.
Treat them as independent theme parks, not a park in competition with another one.
If you do, something will let you down somewhere along the way.
I just don't recommend walking around either of the 6 parks (not counting WP here) and saying "X is better here, and Y is better there".
Just enjoy what each park offers all on it's own merits.
If you enjoy theme parks and rides, just go. DL and DCA are both excellent theme parks with excellent rides, attractions and food. Same for the WDW complex.

I do agree about going at Christmas. We've been a few times during the year and Christmas was the best. It's so beautiful.

Habitual WDW visitors, but my DH really wants to do something new. He is suggesting Disneyland. Will we find it horribly disappointing compared to WDW? My DH is looking for something a little more low key. I prefer to be entertained. Anyone have thoughts?
Been to both several times. We prefer Disneyland/Cali. Here is our top 5:

1 Better weather both day and at night (Southern California).
2 Less walking. For us WDW is usually about 20-25k steps a day. DL 10-15k a day.
3 Closer to the airport. John Wayne is about 20 minutes away.
4 Downtown Disney is right between both parks. Less travel time getting to vs WDW Springs.
5 You can actually make use of a park hopper. Visit either park multiple times in a single day.

Last edited:

I grew up going to WDW (and still mostly go there), but when I finally got to go to Disneyland several years back, I loved it!

Here are some of the reasons:
- superior version of Pirates of the Caribbean
- Hatbox ghost in the Haunted Mansion (glad that Florida is getting him soon!)
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride still exists
- Indiana Jones ride
- superior version of Space Mountain (plus "Hyperspace Mountain" Star Wars overlay)
- The Matterhorn
- New Orleans Square
- superior version of Fantasmic! (and that DRAGON!!!!)
- elaborate facades for Fantasyland rides (Toad Manor, etc.) instead of generic "circus tents"
- Carsland/Radiator Springs Racers
- Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout (initially, I had mixed feelings about re-theming Tower of Terror and still hope they don't replace the Florida version, but really liked how they executed the re-theme at DCA)
- Frozen show and Aladdin show at Hyperion Theater
- park hop in minutes

I haven't been back since Avengers Campus was added to DCA, but it looks amazing and I can't wait to get back and experience it!

After having been to WDW many many times, we decided to give DL a try when my daughter was visiting the area with friends. We spent 2 1/2 days and stayed offsite but in walking distance.

There were some things we absolutely loved, and others we weren't so crazy about. We both are glad we went, and would go back someday, but both agreed that we're WDW people.

We LOVED the Guardians ride (and I was prepared to dislike it because I'm a huge Twighlight Zone Fan). It was just too much fun to NOT like it (that Guardians soundtrack is killer). Indiana Jones just blows Dinosaur away. We didn't even bother riding Dinosaur on our trip to WDW last year. We may never ride it again lol. Small World is SO gorgeous and having part of the ride outdoors was fun. Cars Land is pretty great. Having everything so close together was like a dream. The Animation Academy building was a LOT of fun. I wish WDW had something similar. It wasn't crowded, was a nice place to relax indoors, and had interesting activities. The weather was pleasant, cool in mornings and evenings, but hot midday, with no humidity. Space Mountain was SO much smoother and I thought it was more fun (BUT the queue is KILLER - there weren't a lot of people in line, but we walked, and walked, and walked for what felt like miles, across an empty courtyard, what appeared to be a rooftop, through a big empty room, etc.) Pirates was also better, IMO.

It was quite unpleasant walking past homeless people on the way to the park, and a guy tried to sell me drugs in front of Walgreens one evening while I was waiting for my daughter who ran inside for snacks to take back to our room. The manager came out and ushered me into the store when he noticed, and the guy ran away. We were not crazy over the basic outdoor queues, with chains zigzagging back and forth like a local amusement park. I guess WDW has spoiled us with the indoor interactive queues that always have something fun to see and/or do. We didn't care for the food. Portions seemed small, lines excessively long, and we didn't care for many of the options (just our personal taste, I guess, or maybe it's a west coast thing). The CMs did not seem as friendly or as "into" their roles. Maybe it was just us, or maybe just the time we were there (post covid). RotR CMs seemed to not want to be there and really detracted from the experience. I missed Epcot, but it is my favorite park. This one may be unfair because I'm so familiar with WDW, but we kept getting lost. I had an especially difficult time finding restrooms. They didn't seem to be as plentiful, and were sometimes behind things, making them difficult to find. DL also felt like there were some dead ends where we would have to turn around and backtrack. I missed being in the "Disney Bubble."

The castle is small, but we weren't really disappointed. We knew it was small. We liked that there was something inside to see, and found it rather charming.

Considering how far I had to travel to get there, I would not go back just for DL. It would need to be only part of the trip with some other destination or activities in mind. I think it's certainly worth visiting once, at least, for any Disney fan.

Both resorts are wonderful and I would not want to give up either one. I would recommend that you stay at one of the on-site hotels at DLR if you can, as you do encounter the "real world" outside the Disney bubble, unless you are fine with that. We only do 3-day DLR trips and cover just about everything, while we do 11-day WDW trips, however, living in CA we do go to DLR several times a year so I might do 4 days if we only went every few years.

Enjoy the rides that are different. (WDW's ToT is waaay better than DL's was, so although my grandsons love Guardians and wouldn't understand a lot of ToT, I hope WDW keeps ToT forever! On the flip side, I read a picture book of "Wind in the Willows" every year to my 2nd Graders [teacher] and we watched the Disney cartoon so at least all my "children" know who Mr. Toad is - though it looks like WDW 's version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was better than DLR's - but at least we still have ours.)

Some of the lines put you in the hot sun for an extended time (arrgh! Webslingers), so be sure to stay hydrated. WDW does a much better job of protecting you from the sun, though thankfully we don't have the humidity or summer rainstorms. A few of the queues are wasted originally due to FastPass (I am thinking especially Indy and Space [and Splash but I guess that's moot], where they keep you outside instead of letting you enjoy the indoor queue because there is no other way to let FastPass/LL join up).

While it is nice to have seats for Fantasmic! in WDW, DLR's version always gives me goosebumps even though I am sitting on the hard ground (we do a dining package and try to sit up front), so imho it is not to be missed. And I personally love CarsLand (but I watched Cars with my first grandson many times, so that plays into it), but if you have seen the movie Cars, it is so fun to watch the street light up at dusk like it does in the movie.

I wouldn't go to DLR for the food, but if you are only going once, you might want to eat at Blue Bayou for the experience (plus you can get Fantasmic! package there). It is unique (though overpriced).

Having grown up with The Mickey Mouse Club and The Wonderful World of Disney and having gone to DLR several times before WDW was even built, DLR holds a special place in my heart and I hope you love it too, but I also love WDW. Both places are special in their own way.

Last edited:

WDW is my home park, but I went to DLR/DCA in September this year. It was great, but WDW is still my favorite. One thing I noticed that made a difference for me is that everything at DLR is so compact. It is great for walking distance, but IMO it messes with the excitement factor. For example, when you walk up to Space Mountain at WDW, it is wide and open and you know you are walking up to it...you anticipate it. At DLR, the entrance to Space Mountain is sandwiched next to a restaurant and you can't even tell you are entering Space Mountain. The other thing that I found lacking was the "bubble". We stayed at a neighbor hotel and as soon as you leave the park, you are back in the "real world." It took away some of the magic for me.

That said, DLR is special in it's own right. It is charming, has wonderful and unique offering, and beautiful weather. CarsLand and Avengers campus are fabulous. The holiday overlay at Haunted Mansion was so great. I love the way that the characters just wander around. You can feel Walt's hand on the place. I may never get to go again, but I am already dreaming about my next trip in my head.

I hope you go and have a amazing time!

After having been to WDW many many times, we decided to give DL a try when my daughter was visiting the area with friends. We spent 2 1/2 days and stayed offsite but in walking distance.

There were some things we absolutely loved, and others we weren't so crazy about. We both are glad we went, and would go back someday, but both agreed that we're WDW people.

We LOVED the Guardians ride (and I was prepared to dislike it because I'm a huge Twighlight Zone Fan). It was just too much fun to NOT like it (that Guardians soundtrack is killer). Indiana Jones just blows Dinosaur away. We didn't even bother riding Dinosaur on our trip to WDW last year. We may never ride it again lol. Small World is SO gorgeous and having part of the ride outdoors was fun. Cars Land is pretty great. Having everything so close together was like a dream. The Animation Academy building was a LOT of fun. I wish WDW had something similar. It wasn't crowded, was a nice place to relax indoors, and had interesting activities. The weather was pleasant, cool in mornings and evenings, but hot midday, with no humidity. Space Mountain was SO much smoother and I thought it was more fun (BUT the queue is KILLER - there weren't a lot of people in line, but we walked, and walked, and walked for what felt like miles, across an empty courtyard, what appeared to be a rooftop, through a big empty room, etc.) Pirates was also better, IMO.

It was quite unpleasant walking past homeless people on the way to the park, and a guy tried to sell me drugs in front of Walgreens one evening while I was waiting for my daughter who ran inside for snacks to take back to our room. The manager came out and ushered me into the store when he noticed, and the guy ran away. We were not crazy over the basic outdoor queues, with chains zigzagging back and forth like a local amusement park. I guess WDW has spoiled us with the indoor interactive queues that always have something fun to see and/or do. We didn't care for the food. Portions seemed small, lines excessively long, and we didn't care for many of the options (just our personal taste, I guess, or maybe it's a west coast thing). The CMs did not seem as friendly or as "into" their roles. Maybe it was just us, or maybe just the time we were there (post covid). RotR CMs seemed to not want to be there and really detracted from the experience. I missed Epcot, but it is my favorite park. This one may be unfair because I'm so familiar with WDW, but we kept getting lost. I had an especially difficult time finding restrooms. They didn't seem to be as plentiful, and were sometimes behind things, making them difficult to find. DL also felt like there were some dead ends where we would have to turn around and backtrack. I missed being in the "Disney Bubble."

The castle is small, but we weren't really disappointed. We knew it was small. We liked that there was something inside to see, and found it rather charming.

Considering how far I had to travel to get there, I would not go back just for DL. It would need to be only part of the trip with some other destination or activities in mind. I think it's certainly worth visiting once, at least, for any Disney fan.
The Space queue is one of many that was ruined when FastPass was introduced. Disney was too cheap to redesign the queue so the stand-by line could enjoy the indoor queue and the FastPass queue could join in at the end, so now they just hold everyone outside, so most of the line is on boring blacktop. The inside queue had some entertaining features that are now gone or greatly diminished. The same is true for Indy (that first year or 2, they handed out cards so you could translate the writing on the cave walls - a fun way to pass the time with your family - I still make the roof collapse and yank on the rope in the well as I am now rushed by) and for Splash (mostly the decorations and sayings) and to some extent for Star Tours. There are probably others I am forgetting to mention.

The Space queue is one of many that was ruined when FastPass was introduced. Disney was too cheap to redesign the queue so the stand-by line could enjoy the indoor queue and the FastPass queue could join in at the end, so now they just hold everyone outside, so most of the line is on boring blacktop. The inside queue had some entertaining features that are now gone or greatly diminished. The same is true for Indy (that first year or 2, they handed out cards so you could translate the writing on the cave walls - a fun way to pass the time with your family - I still make the roof collapse and yank on the rope in the well as I am now rushed by) and for Splash (mostly the decorations and sayings) and to some extent for Star Tours. There are probably others I am forgetting to mention.
Space now has a partial indoor queue for standby in the 2nd level of the old star trader arcade.

Habitual WDW visitors, but my DH really wants to do something new. He is suggesting Disneyland. Will we find it horribly disappointing compared to WDW? My DH is looking for something a little more low key. I prefer to be entertained. Anyone have thoughts?
You will be shocked how much better DL is I know I was.
It’s amazing!!!

This is a great point. Space, Star Tours, Splash, Indy, all had their queues ruined by Fastpass. The cool parts of the queues are now typically empty and the boring parts full of standby people.

Soarin I would argue doesn’t make the most of its queue. Guardians too to some extent. WDW generally has more thoughtful queues.

I love Disneyland - I went a few years ago and I love how small it is compared to WDW, how you can get from one land to another in a few minutes. That said, I’ll always be a WDW person - I love how big it is, o matter how many blisters I get, lol. I just ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ it. MK is everything to me - sheer magic, pure innocence and joy. Epcot is incomparable...AK is phenomenally unique and DHS is a blast.

If you love WDW, you will still love it, and no, none of the rides I remember doing at DL made me compare them negatively to WDW. I feel like WDW is always going to come up short for many people because it is so big, but for me it’s incomparable. DL would be a one or two day thing; WDW is completely immersive.

Last edited:
I would say if a one time only trip to DL allow 3 or maybe even 4 days. 1 day is far too short, and with 2 you would still miss a lot and have to rush, rush, rush. We usually do 3 days and do both Fantasmic! and WOC and get to most of the things we want to do, but if something looks unreasonably long we skip it knowing we'll be back. If you want to make it a longer trip, I like what an earlier poster said about bundling a trip to DL with other things in So Cal. WDW is a lot longer trip for us, but we also do a lot more sit down meals and all the fireworks in WDW and some of the unique experiences - there always seem to be so many. In DL I might want to do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour (I've never done it) but other than F! and WOC there really aren't any "must do" extras that I can think of.

As someone who gets to visit DLR a lot more often than WDW, MK is my least favorite WDW park. I like DL much more than MK, and there is a lot of crossover. But I love WDW as a whole as much as I love DLR, just for different reasons.

I’m about to head out to DLR in a few weeks for my 5th visit. I love it but WDW will always be my #1. It’s a different vibe which makes it a totally different experience. I go to DLR to visit the parks. To me WDW is more of a destination vacation that contains theme parks. I also miss Epcot when I’m at DLR. I also miss the resorts and particularly the TS restaurants. I also even enjoy the travel between parks and such. It gives me time to soak in the atmosphere and embrace the overall experience and environment.

The parks are great but once you leave you definitely have left the bubble. As others have said the duplicate rides are often much better at DL and they even have parades if you can imagine that. World of Color is a can’t miss for me and that seem to always have newer and More frequently updated fireworks.

Not ONE bit. It is absolutely different, and we’re diehard WDW fans, but Disneyland park is collectively our family’s favorite Disney park we’ve been to.

DCA is a fun park with a solid lineup of rides, but thematically I think it’s the weakest Disney park we’ve visited. Certainly better than most other parks around though.

Downtown Disney is nice and the hotels are very convenient. Everything location-wise is awesome and so close. Dining is not as good as WDW, but there are some gems.

I guess I'm the odd one out. I grew up in southern California and went to Disneyland quite a few times growing up. Once I got older, I started going to Disney World and it's just a vastly better experience for us. We still have fun at Disneyland, but it doesn't feel like a "grand vacation" like Disney World does. We never leave the bubble while at Disney World. The outside of the bubble isn't even visible. On the flip side, when you exit Disneyland at the front entrance at night, you'll immediately be approached by panhandlers and people selling various worthless things like music CDs. Disneyland also feels more like a spot filled with locals who are just spending the day there, as opposed to Disney World which has more of a family vacation vibe. The food options are also not even comparable in my opinion. Downtown Disney vs Disney Springs is also another vastly different experience. I don't know, like I said... I seem to be the odd one out on this because DW is the clear winner for us in almost every aspect. Disneyland does have a couple better rides, so I'll give it credit for that. The one that stands out the most is Space Mountain. However, DW also has quite a few rides that DL doesn't.

I went to DL/DCA last February break. TBH, DL I found pretty equal to MK in terms of holding my interest. (Doesn't take long for me to do the things I want and be ready to move on.)

DCA is tied with AK for my favorite Disney park. Even days I had reserved DL, I hopped as soon as I possibly could to get back to DCA (and even changed one day to be DCA rather than a split).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter