Wilderness Lodge vs Grand Floridian on Half Marathon Day?

Wakey

DIS Veteran
Hi

We are staying 6/7 Jan 2023 after getting off a cruise before flying back to the UK.

Just seen 1/6 is the half marathon, and 1/7 is the full marathon.

I imagine if we get off the cruise early we will be at WDW by about 10.30-11 which seems fine as the road restrictions are in place only until 10am. Day we leave no issue either as we won’t be leaving the resort until after lunch to head to MCO.

We intend to visit MK, maybe both days but certainly day we arrive.

Aside from the fact that you can walk across from VGF, is there any reason really on Marathon days to select VGF over Wilderness Lodge?

I really want to stay in Wilderness Lodge, Boulder Ridge in the new rooms in a 2 bed for a night, or the alternative is a 1 bed in VGF. Both about same points.

Either should be fine. The marathon has been over for a while by the time you get over to WDW. The 1BR will be much easier to book.

The VGF 1BR is one of the most beautiful rooms on property IMO. I could live in it. It's very point spendy, but for one night, wowza.

I like the monorail much better than the WL boat, but this is a maybe 10 minute discussion. But those 10 minutes might matter when you have limited time at WDW. I slightly prefer WL pool, but that's personal preference, and sounds like you aren't even going to the pool. I live in WL theming, so it's not my first pick.

Either should be fine. The marathon has been over for a while by the time you get over to WDW. The 1BR will be much easier to book.

The VGF 1BR is one of the most beautiful rooms on property IMO. I could live in it. It's very point spendy, but for one night, wowza.

I like the monorail much better than the WL boat, but this is a maybe 10 minute discussion. But those 10 minutes might matter when you have limited time at WDW. I slightly prefer WL pool, but that's personal preference, and sounds like you aren't even going to the pool. I live in WL theming, so it's not my first pick.
Thanks. Yes I may well be in the pool day we leave if weather is good. Have been to both resorts, have previously booked both, but both had to be cancelled, in covid and we couldn't get in the country.
The 2 bed at BRV was bookable, as was 1 bed standard at VGF and even a 1 bed at CCV , I think I’ll stick with the 2 bed as the 1 bed only has. 4 sleep surfaces and so my 19 YO daughter and 16 YO son cannot share a bed and it’s too many points for 5 nights in a 2 bed so this is my chance to book a 2 bed for just 1 night, which is the same points roughly as the 1 bed standard at VGF. I could go for the cheaper CCV 1 bed but it’s due a refurb soon whereas I like the idea of the brand new room decor,
I love the theming at BRV more I think.
Thanks for your help.

Waitlists can be wild with just one night. I'd find a dream room and request that. Even Jambo club level 1BR isn't impossible.

Waitlists can be wild with just one night. I'd find a dream room and request that. Even Jambo club level 1BR isn't impossible.
I booked them already. I find I mainly get what I want with 1 beds. I was a bit worried this week, as it seems one of the busiest with the marathon, but had no problems this morning and some more availability opened up right after 8am as well, as people must have switched resorts (so Copper Creek 1 bed appeared about 8.05).

I booked them already.
You can still waitlist. Do "modify" and then leave instructions to waitlist and cancel that reservation.

You can call MS and put more specific instructions, like take X points or call this number or whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter