wilderness cabins without car?

tjmw2727

DIS Veteran
Hi All

I am traveling to WDW with my two dd's in Nov, dh is not joining us this trip. I have a reservation at Coronado Springs but got a quote for a great AP rate in the cabins. The advantage of the separate bedroom and bunk beds and especially the kitchen is appealing. I also like all the extra activies at the campground.

However, the last time we stayed at the cabins the transportation was confusing, slow and there were to many transfers. I remember having to take the internal bus to an external bus to the ttc to get anywhere (3 buses?). This was on a trip back 4 or so years ago. I am not renting a car this trip.

Travling alone with a 6yo and 8yo has its rewards and its challenges and I need a resort that offeres easy transportion. Has the transportation system changed in the past few years, is my experience unique and would you stay in the cabins in my situation or stick with coronado springs?

Thanks
TJ

I would stick to Coronado. We loved the cabins themselves but probably won't stay there again because of the transportation. Plus you'll get a much better pool and a hot tub at CS.

The transportation for Fort Wilderness has greatly changed since you've been there. There is now direct transportation from Fort Wilderness to all four theme parks, both water parks, and Downtown Disney.

The search seems to be down, but there's a thread in the Transportation board from awhile back that explains the much improved Fort Wilderness transportation system.

It's easy to use, effecient, and well liked by guests.

We stayed in the cabins in June 02 and didn't have a car. It was totally do-able. The transportation wasn't bad at all. I loved using the boat transportation to the MK, Contemporary and WL...so did my kids~

I think having the extra space, kitchen, etc. is well worth any transportation issues you might encounter. I'd go for the cabins!

Have fun whatever you decide!

I've heard too that the transportation at FW is much better. I wouldn't actually base my decision on that... These are two of our favorite resorts, so it's hard to choose!

As another poster said, CSR has much nicer pool facilities, and I think more convenient dining. But if the interior space is your priority and you don't mind doing some light cooking, the cabins are great. We loved having the full kitchen and separate bedroom for what we thought was a reasonable price. Definitely saved enough on food to make up for the additional cost of the room. Our kids can be kinda picky, so we liked avoiding paying full price for meals that they just picked at...

Have fun choosing -- both are great!

I really like the cabins...you might request one close to a bus stop. It is a great place for kids....lots of room to run around and play outside. Trails end is the best bargain in onsite dining I think...you can always get take out from the buffet and go back to the cabin to eat and have a place to save the leftovers. The pools are just plain pools, if that is important you might want to stay elsewhere. We always liked the option of a fast breakfast in the room and being able to keep stuff in the room for a few other meals. Also I never liked having to turn out the lights early when I put the kids to bed at night in a regular hotel room...and the cabins give you another room to move to when the kids are asleep.

Tyler??! You're not going to be a bus driver anymore??! How are we going to get the latest info on the transportation??? Do you know what you're going to be doing at Pop Century yet?

I don't know about those Ft. Wildnerness cabins. I would think it would still be two buses to get places, but i guess you have to weigh that with the fact you'd have an extra room and full kitchen, and see which you want more.

Originally posted by freediverdude
Tyler??! You're not going to be a bus driver anymore??! How are we going to get the latest info on the transportation??? Do you know what you're going to be doing at Pop Century yet?

I still have a ton of friends who can keep me in the know about transportation. I will be doing Guest Services (Front Desk). :) I can't WAIT!

Well I wish you the best. I'll ask at check in and see if you're there that day to say hi or something. I hope you like it there. If it's like the All-Stars, the check in area at those always seems like a laid back friendly atmosphere. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Tyler I will try and find that thread on the transportion board and good luck at Pop Century.

In November my priority will definately be the transportation ease, traveling alone with two kids makes that part really important. The pools are not a big draw in November so it might be nice to do some of the campground stuff instead. Oh well great choice to have to make right?

I am leading toward staying with CSR but I will do some more reading on both resorts and try to decide.

Tj

Both are wonderful. You might look on WDWIG and discuss it with the kids. We have stayed at Coronado, and my kids lOVED the pool. We also enjoyed the lake and the quiet pool. It's lovely there... HOWEVER my children love Ft. WIlderness more than anything. We stayed once and no matter where else we stay, the "camping" is their favorite memory. My daughter remembers the bunk beds! They also loved the petting zoo and the "rustic" feel to everything. If you are willing to slow down your pace a little, Ft. Wilderness really is special. It's so much fun to "hang out" in the cabins. My children always ask to go back. And we had our car that trip, but never much needed it.

Whatever you decide, have fun. We are going in June, dear hubby has a conference in Orlando, so during the day at least, I'll be a "single mom" too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter