Wild Africa Trek at AK

CM said they were going to get participant feedback and then adjust price.

OK, heres the plan. First, everyone that booked this tour, have a great time! Next, everyone tells the cms its a great experience but not worth $189. Last, I book the tour in December at the new price of $100.:thumbsup2 Sound simple enough?

I don't know if each tour line rep has a different set of info or if it's indeed changing day to day. We're scheduled to do it next Sunday and this was what I was told today when I called for the tour details:

weight 45-310lbs
age 8+
cameras ok but must be attachable to harness (not sure about pockets)
items can be stored in lockers
if the CM mentioned a height requirement I missed it
What might be new, is that she said there would be a number to call to pre-arrange alternate means of ascending whatever we would be climbing if someone wasn't or didn't feel able to do so

(we'll be in guinea pig batch 4-6, depending on whether they added 11am/noon groups)

Please post here all about your experience!!! Have an amazing time.....we are hoping to do this in March!
Debx:hug:

OK, heres the plan. First, everyone that booked this tour, have a great time! Next, everyone tells the cms its a great experience but not worth $189. Last, I book the tour in December at the new price of $100.:thumbsup2 Sound simple enough?

Sounds like a great plan! :lmao:

Often when I talk with CM's on the phone they give info that is TOTALLY incorrect. That being said--I just reported what she said.
I'm trying to decide between March and September trips to do this tour. I understand an introductory price --but to say the next price will be $189.00 and then the next price will be adjusted by customer remarks or season or whatever is just wrong. I think right upfront they should list the prices with the seasons as they do on rooms so you can make an informed decision about what will work best for you.

CM tour guide just called to go over information as Disney is hearing different information is out there (ie. cameras being allowed). We are scheduled for January 22 at 8am.

Meeting place is back near Dawa bar

Shirt with sleeves (tank tops not suggested because of harness)

Long shorts or pants (again because of harness)

Closed toed shoes or hiking boots

Age limit 8yo

Weight 45-310lbs

Height (I believe he said at least 48 inches but I didn't write it down)

Photo ID for adults

Personal cameras allowed as long as they can attach to harness

All guides are trained as photo pass photographers so they will be taking pictures (forgot to ask if pictures are included in cost)

No hats or other loose items (lockers will be available)

Snack/beverage about 2 hours into hike

Can't wait to try this tour.

Thanks. This seems to be the info that is coming out consistently for the last few days, so that's great.

For those who go early, please take pics of the harness. Particularly the setup with regard to cameras.

Also, I'd appreciate it if someone could take a picture of the steps close up. One of our party members has fatigue issues. Surprisingly it is not the height of the staircase, but rather the spacing and height of the risers that makes the difference in how exhausting it will be. This is important enough to her that she's willing to push her limits, but we would like to know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

We have just booked this for 10am on the 2nd Feb! :cool1: We did think about the cost long and hard, but we both love AK, and both love animals, and as DH said, it will tide us over until we can go on a real safari in a couple years time! And at the lower cost that it is right now it seems a good deal.

Anyway, the CM who booked us in (who was lovely, btw) said everything that was said above, except she didn't mention anything about photos being taken by someone else during it. I hope there are some, as I would like some official ones as well as our own.

I would really like to do this for our 15th anniversary when we go in November but $189 is a bit much. That price for 2 is about 1/2 the 3 night Dream cruise and I think that would be a better surprise:) I will wait for the reviews!

We are going Feb. 15 for our 25th Anniversary just called to reconfirm the details and they did say we could now bring a camera as long as it could be secured to the harness. I also double checked on the picture cd and yes it is still included. I am very frugal but consider this money well spent for a 3 hour safari with snacks. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! When we get back I will let you know if I feel the same way. :banana::woohoo::yay::dance3:

I was in AK today, and it seemed like they were running some internal tests/previews. I tried to snap a few quick pics, but my camera-fu is pretty poor so only these are remotely useful.

Signage for the tour check-in:
img8695l.jpg

This was from the safari ride, on the ledge at the bend just before you hit the hippo pool on the other side:
img8627h.jpg

The getup seems to have a mesh vest and a climbing harness (with shoulder straps?).
From the back:
img8693w.jpg

From the front (jaunty hat not included):
img8694y.jpg

If you have a small camera, it could easily fit in the velcro pocket on his bottom right. I don't know how/where larger slrs will attach.

SLRs won't be allowed. I think the pocket is more for cell phones. If they allow for use of small cameras, they'd have to physically attach to the harness I'd imagine.. via the wrist strap through a loop or something.

SLRs won't be allowed. I think the pocket is more for cell phones. If they allow for use of small cameras, they'd have to physically attach to the harness I'd imagine.. via the wrist strap through a loop or something.
I think having the camera swinging from a strap, even if attached to the harness, would be dangerous - I can see it getting knocked around pretty good! I hope you can put it in the pocket!

That's basically the impression I got. We just booked for Jan. 27th at 2pm (last tour of the day), and the CM I talked to at booking felt that a large SLR wouldn't work because it has to be able to clip on (to a caribiner). Even if you could do that with your SLR, would you feel comfortable with it dangling over a pool of crocodiles? :scared1:

I have a small digital camera, so we'll use that. We were told that the pictures taken by the photographer on the tour are included in the price, and that we'd get a CD. Guess we'll find out.

Looking forward to it!

When I went ziplining in October, they would only allow cameras with a wrist strap. They used the wrist strap and a locking carabiner to attach the camera to the gear so that there is no way to drop it. I would image that cellphone cameras would not be allowed, no matter how small. Too easy to drop.

I am very interested in this tour. I can't wait to hear what people think! I think $189 is a bit steep, but hopefully the feedback from you folks will be so great that I'll just have to book it (that is, if they're still going to offer it in May)

We've signed up for the 18th of February. I signed us up for the 8AM tour since we are morning people, but now I'm concerned that it might be cold. Will the animals hide from us if it is cold? I figure the plus is we get into AK an hour early.

they ran media tours today with it being about 40 degrees and it seemed to be ok.

i'm scheduled for this on monday, first thing, where it's supposed to be about 60, so we'll see.

I guess most of you have seen the short clip Disney posted on the Disney Parks Blog?

Shows the caribineer cliping to the harness. Also the bridge that appears to be one out of an Inidana Jones movie. But sturdier I'm sure - LOL

:surfweb:

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter