Wife wants to start scrapbooking, what to get her for Christmas???

just4me

Earning My Ears
The title pretty much says it all. My wife is really interested in scrapbooking and loves all things Disney. What can I get for my wife that would help get her started in her scrapbooking hobby that she wants to start. Any ideas for this wondering husband would be greatly appreciated.

Part of it depends on how much you want to spend but if she is just starting there are some basics-
1. a good 12 inch cutter - I have the cricut one and it is fine- others may have ideas of better one (most of these are about $20 not on sale)
2. An album - my favorite kind is the Perfect Scrabook but she will need an album (you could get one of the Sandylion kits that includes and album so she will have some paper and stickers (a good album can be pourchased for less than $20 and a kit ranges from 15-30 normally depending on what is included)
3. Cutterbee Scissors- specifically small ones for precision cutting
4. A class for her to take in January- go to your local scrap store or Michaels, Joanns, or AC Moore, Hobby Lobby (wherever you would purchase craft supplies in your area and see what they have to offer). I would suggest a basic layout class- they may have something to use to scrap Christmas memories but a basic class on techniuiques is good. Classes for mini albums are cute and fun but give her a basic layout class to start out
5. Adhesive- I like the tombow tape runner for basic things, I tend to use the zig glue pens for smaller items, beacon's 3 in 1 or zip dry are good heavy adhesive glue and glue dots and pop dots are great for special things
6. Embellishments depend on what projects she might start with (if you know what she wants to scrap it may be easier to guide you here but some prima flowers in colors she likes and some brads (American Crafts makes good quality but less expensive ones)
7. If you know where she will be printing photos get gift certificates for that as well as some gift certificates to local craft stores so she can buy additional papers and embellishments to go along with the pictures she begins with

There are plenty of cool items that are more expoensive to buy but until she knows she likes it is hard to guide you in these. It also depends on what area you have to for her to scrap in (does she have a sewing or craft room right now?). If you don't have any place for her to scrap and she is computer savy would she prefer digital scrapping. It isn't as messy but I love touching the techtures and using my hands to make items. Others love the digital effects you can do. if she wants to go digital then you will need a different set of items for her.

Rebecca

You could also try hooking up with a creative memories consultant in your area. www.creativememories.com

They sell great starter kits and have some wonderful Disney products. If you go to the website and put in your zipcode, the site will direct you to someone who lives right in your area that can help. That is how I got hooked.

GO to your local scrapbook store, if there's one in your area. The people there will help you. Yes, some of the tools can be bought less expensively perhaps at a chain store, but the advice you get will be priceless - and they may be able to put together a pretty gift basket presentation that will save you wrapping. (If we knew roughly where you are, we might be able to suggest an LSS)

aren't you the nice hubby!
I second the "fine a local scrap store!" My husband went to one and got some really neat things thanks to the ladies in the store...also got some odd things....felt I needed some John Deer stickers....

HEre are my must haves:
Personal trimmer (Creative Memories has a great one)
12" trimmer
Perfect layers, (QVC) This is my all time favorite tool!
Basic card stock in earth tone shades
Matt stack (AC Moore etc...)
Adhesive (I use Creative memories) But Hermifix tabs are nice too (AC Moore)
Assortment of brads (ACMoore etc...)
A few nice pens, look for acid free and fine point
Liquid chalk....another personal favorite (ACM, etc...)
Pirma Flowers

IF you know she will be working on you can get her some nice DIsney stickers, embellishments and paper.
Paper carrier

I would stick to the basic supply list. Since you don't know what her style will end up being.
Good luck!

aren't you the nice hubby!
I second the "fine a local scrap store!" My husband went to one and got some really neat things thanks to the ladies in the store...also got some odd things....felt I needed some John Deer stickers....

HEre are my must haves:
Personal trimmer (Creative Memories has a great one)
12" trimmer
Perfect layers, (QVC) This is my all time favorite tool!
Basic card stock in earth tone shades
Matt stack (AC Moore etc...)
Adhesive (I use Creative memories) But Hermifix tabs are nice too (AC Moore)
Assortment of brads (ACMoore etc...)
A few nice pens, look for acid free and fine point
Liquid chalk....another personal favorite (ACM, etc...)
Pirma Flowers

IF you know she will be working on you can get her some nice DIsney stickers, embellishments and paper.
Paper carrier

I would stick to the basic supply list. Since you don't know what her style will end up being.
Good luck!

Oh, and while you're in the LSS, how about a nice gift certificate for classes and anything she might want after she gets started.

What a thoughtful hubby you are! I have to second finding a local Creative Memories (CM) consultant. When I started scrapping I went to a CM class and it really helped me to get started. Their starter kits can be more expensive but they are top quality and have a warranty. I'm still using the cutting system, photo cutter, scissors, and lots of other goodies that I got at my first CM class almost 10 years ago!

The basics are:
- Album (I like CM the best but they're pricey; K&Company are nice, as are Maple Leaf Press)
- Cutter (Fiskars makes great ones)
- Adhesive (I really like the 3L brand and they make different types)
- Pens in different colors (make sure they are archive quality and acid free)
- Quality Paper in multiple colors (if you have a CM album you can scrap right on the pages and can add paper, but most other albums are just page protectors so you have to have 12x12 paper)

Getting a gift certificate for a local scrapbook store or from a CM consultant is a fantastic idea! Warning: once she gets hooked she'll discover she needs more and more stuff! My DH knew scrapping, card making, cake decorating, and now sewing are important hobbies to me and gave me my own craft room for all of my stuff :)

1) An albulm is a must! If you want a Disney albulm, get her one from the company Sandylion. They are sold at craft stores like ACMoore & Michaels. They have a kit that has stickers, paper, & a blue albulm w/ Mickey on the cover. I also love the ones from Creative Memories. I haven't had much luck w/ the albulms they sell at WDW or on the cruise. There is another company that sells Disney albulms, but I haven't had any experience w/ them. Just an FYI, they have the Sandylion Disney albulms in the same place as the other company, just look for the company name on the back cover. I know Target has Disney albulms, but they aren't Sandylion.

2) Fiskar sells a slicer (used to cut paper & photos) that works really well. I've had mine forever & it cuts very straight. I saw a Mickey Mouse one at Target, but I don't know how good it is. It was $20

3) Adhesive, I like photo squares or mounts. They are little squares that come in a roll. I don't like using glue stick at all.

4) Target (in the area by the wrapping paper & books), Michaels, AC Moore all have a ton of Disney paper & stickers.

5) I agree w/ everyone else about finding a Creative Memories consultant & signing her up for a beginners class.

6) Also, I agree w/ buying gift certificates. I think Creative Memories sell them too. Every woman likes to shop. But make sure she has something to unwrap too besides just envelopes.

You are so smart to ask here. I've been scrapping for 24 years. If I ever get stuck, I know I can always find people who know more than I do on this sight. I'd pass this sight onto her too. People are so helpful. Tell her not to be afraid to ask questions. There will always be other people who have the same question, but are afraid to ask. Have a good time Christmas shopping.

I have bought really good starter kits on QVC.com when I first started scrapbooking. They included one or more albums, paper, stickers, etc. I would get a paper cutter and some sort of adhesive. I use Dry Bond because it isn't messy and you can reposition things around (ie - not permanent, but sticky enough to stay-a good way to start if she doesn't really know what she is doing). You can find large pads of it on the internet.

Good Luck and what a great present!

How nice of you to support a new hobby for your wife. My idea would be to buy a basket and fill it with a few of the items that other posters listed. I would go with some of the cheaper items that would look cute in a gift basket. You can find some cute disney stickers at most of the craft stores to include also. I think the best thing to do though would be to include some gift cards so she can buy what she wants. This way you show her you care about her hobby and she can buy what she wants. The women at the stores are going to love helping you either way! Good Luck

Does your wife have any friends who scrapbook? You might want to find out "how" they crop. Are they Creative Memories (CM) fans, chain store fans, or local store fans. This will help lead you in the direction that she is going to want to take. I don't know about anyone else, but scrapbooking for me is more about the social time with my friends than anything else! Then again, I just got back from a three-day weekend at Scrap and Spa in Michigan!

A friend of mine's husband did the same thing. He asked us what to get her and we led him straight to our CM consultant. She suggested things to get her started--that was three years ago and she is still going strong! Also, if her friends crop, they will have tools to share, especially to more "cool" ones.

I am going to assume that she is going to make a WDW scrapbook. Must have items:

12x12 cutter--CM or Fiskars are good. If she really gets into scrapbooking, she will want the smaller 7 in. CM cutter--my absolute fav!

Good pair of scissors--CM ones are my favorite, but there are so many good ones available.

An album plus extra refill pages. Choose one according to her first book's theme. I have always used CM books, but for Disney I am using the drop-down page books because of the Disney designs. Also, then I don't have to worry about cropping "out of order".

Adhesive--I use CM and Hermix. The CM is permanent tape and I use the removable Hermix. Either is good, but the CM one is easier to refill. It took me forever to figure out my Hermix. Be sure to buy a couple of extra refills. She will thank you later!

Some kind of bag to store everything. A small rolling cart would be my preference. If this is something she sticks with, she will eventually need a larger one. Just warning you!

Paper--so many choices. I would try to find a couple of larger packs (12x12)to begin with--patterned and solid. Your best bet are the big chain stores because they have the best prices. Find paper to go according to theme.

Gift card--let her choose stickers, etc. This is such a personal choice. Since you already bought her the basics, let her have a little fun!

Pictures--make sure that she has pics developed and ready to go.

A Class--so important. Once again, find out what is available in your area. I started with CM and still use many of the techniques the consultant taught me on that first night. If her friends crop, be sure to find out where/when they do this and sign her up!

Good luck!

Here is what I would do.

Get one of those accordion file things like you store important papers and bills. They sell them in 12 X 12 for scrappers.
Into it I would put a 12 " personal trimmer ( Fiskers, about $20 )
a black journaling pen ( Zig, maybe $2 )
Cutterbee scissors ( between $5 and $10 )
and some adhesive squares.( around $5 )

Then add some gift cards from stores you know she will shop in to buy her supplies, especially her local scrapbook store.

These are all the tools she needs to start scrapping. The rest are personal choices and niceaties. (sp). You don't even need an album right away. Even buying her an album will limit her personal choice of size and style she wants to scrap She will use the accordion thing to prepare her own page kits, to store completed pages and to go back and forth to crops. She can upgrade or change her tools along the way as she develops her own personal scrapping style. I have been scrapping for maybe 10 years and the tools I have recommended are still my basic tools. I am not a kit person but a lot of people swear by them. I end up not using half of the papers in a kit because they are not my style or I just plain don't like them. They just sit around and sit around. I can't even design a card out of paper I don't like. Yet, if you want to get her a kit so she can try her tools out right away, pick out something really basic and neutral in 12 X 12.

Whatever you choose to do, she will love it because you listened and acted upon it. What a great hubbie you are.

I didn't read all the posts :-)flower3:), but if she's just starting out, a kit will be her best friend.

Or a couple kits, where everything matches (paper, stickers, etc...). There is SO much stuff out there, it's easy to get overwhelmed.

When I first started out, all I used was paper and fancy scissors (back when fancy scissors were new :cool2:. I did an entire album using the same color paper. Looking back at it, it's so lame, but it's my first one so I :lovestruc it!

Also a cutting thingy is really helpful too. I always though, "I can just cut stuff with scissors ... :laughing:

I would get her a gift certificate and let her work with the other scrapbookers at the stores or the owners who can assist her.

I would also recommend Creative Memories (I'll admit I'm a consultant)
Go to creativememories.com and type in your zipcode and find a local consultant. They sell kits for beginners as well ! They also have a nice line of Disney items.
Good Luck

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter