Wi-Fi needed for onboard communications?

mufasa0505

DIS Veteran
I have my first cruise on Royal coming up after only sailing with DCL for a while, so I’m used to not needing a Wi-Fi package. Am I reading correctly that I need some type of onboard Wi-Fi to communicate with my people onboard? My daughter will be 13, so I definitely need to be able to be in contact with her.

Some of the ships have the onboard texting system like DCL depending on which you were sailing, but we paid for WIFi solely in order to communicate with our teenagers and found it quicker and more reliable than the DCL free texting system.

Some of the ships have the onboard texting system like DCL depending on which you were sailing, but we paid for WIFi solely in order to communicate with our teenagers and found it quicker and more reliable than the DCL free texting system.

Thank you! I guess I will grudgingly pay for it, then!

From the RC website.

"Guest do not need an internet package to use the app onboard the cruise ship. Once onboard, guest can connect to the ships WiFi to use the app for free."

I have my first cruise on Royal coming up after only sailing with DCL for a while, so I’m used to not needing a Wi-Fi package. Am I reading correctly that I need some type of onboard Wi-Fi to communicate with my people onboard? My daughter will be 13, so I definitely need to be able to be in contact with her.
We cruised last month with friends. You don't need any type of package to use their app for messaging if the people are in your cabin. If you want to message anyone in a different cabin then it's $9.99 per person per day. I *think* this is separate from their wifi package because our friends purchased that but still couldn't use the messaging system but, they could use Imessage.

We cruised last month with friends. You don't need any type of package to use their app for messaging if the people are in your cabin. If you want to message anyone in a different cabin then it's $9.99 per person per day. I *think* this is separate from their wifi package because our friends purchased that but still couldn't use the messaging system but, they could use Imessage.
It is $1.99 per person per day for just the chat feature and that is separate from the WiFi.

At this time iMessage on iphones (only the blue messages) work in text only without a WiFi or chat package, so if you all have iphones and are ok with text only, you should be fine unless Royal Caribbean closes this loophole.

It is $1.99 per person per day for just the chat feature and that is separate from the WiFi.

At this time iMessage on iphones (only the blue messages) work in text only without a WiFi or chat package, so if you all have iphones and are ok with text only, you should be fine unless Royal Caribbean closes this loophole.
You are right. I fat fingered the amount. It’s $1.99/day. We were not able to use iMessage though and we all had iPhones. 🤷🏻‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter