Why?

How many younger people do you know that aren't taking it seriously?

My 19 year old niece attends Columbia College in Chicago. She is back with her parents starting tonight and she's isolating herself in basement because she was still meeting with people still in dorms as of today and now college has a Covid case and she's worried.

At least she's taking it seriously!

My 19 year old niece attends Columbia College in Chicago. She is back with her parents starting tonight and she's isolating herself in basement because she was still meeting with people still in dorms as of today and now college has a Covid case and she's worried.

At least she's taking it seriously!
How sad. Hope she is ok.

How many younger people do you know that aren't taking it seriously?

A lot too.

Basically, I'm taking it seriously only because I get my news from Sky News, and it was ahead of the US by a couple of weeks. Also, everyone I know in healthcare and their significant others and family are taking it seriously.

If we don't take it seriously, our health system will be overwhelmed. That's why we want to flatten the curve. We want to spread out the cases over a longer period of time, so that we have enough hospital beds and ventilators.

What people are about to learn is that our health system isn't as great as they think, especially when it's overwhelmed. Our hospital beds per thousand is pretty low, and we don't have enough ventilators for a surge. And it doesn't help that we have been slow to test, so that we don't really know where we are on the curve.

Flattening the curve is the difference between getting a fast pass for flight of passage versus standing in the standby line only you might die before you get on the ride.

Our diocese has not stopped masses. And I volunteer for Saint Vincent DePaul and we are still expected to make visits to clients. I’m close to telling them our conference will not be doing any more visits.

I live in Cincy. That has to be Covington Diocese. :sad2: As if Bishop Foys is not disliked enough after the Covington Catholic fiasco last year. Why would you put your parishioners at risk? WHY!! :mad:

BTW, I read today they finally said no more masses, fish fry's, and bingo.

My niece and I were talking about my parents just a little bit ago. They are both gone, but we agreed Dad would have said the heck with it. I got things to do. My mom would have been madder than a wet hen at him.

I live in Cincy. That has to be Covington Diocese. :sad2: As if Bishop Foys is not disliked enough after the Covington Catholic fiasco last year. Why would you put your parishioners at risk? WHY!! :mad:

BTW, I read today they finally said no more masses, fish fry's, and bingo.
Yes they finally did. And I have even more reasons to dislike foys. Our priest is the absolute worst and he refuses to move him. He has ruined so many parishes. Foys will be 75 this summer and I think he will have to retire.

Yes they finally did. And I have even more reasons to dislike foys. Our priest is the absolute worst and he refuses to move him. He has ruined so many parishes. Foys will be 75 this summer and I think he will have to retire.

What church do you attend? I have friends with kids at MQOH and Blessed Sacrament. I believe those priests have been there for years.

What church do you attend? I have friends with kids at MQOH and Blessed Sacrament. I believe those priests have been there for years.
A tiny church without a school. St. John’s. Not the one in Covington. In Campbell county. That’s why we get the priest no one wants. They don’t care if we close down even though we are the oldest church and my great, great, great, great grandfather built it when he came here from Germany. Many of the priests in our diocese are great, just not ours.

Basically, I'm taking it seriously only because I get my news from Sky News, and it was ahead of the US by a couple of weeks. Also, everyone I know in healthcare and their significant others and family are taking it seriously.

If we don't take it seriously, our health system will be overwhelmed. That's why we want to flatten the curve. We want to spread out the cases over a longer period of time, so that we have enough hospital beds and ventilators.

Agreed. One should only need to look at Italy to see why we need to take this seriously and make even more sweeping changes now. Look at the WHO numbers and see how they increase every day around the world.

I couldent get past the first few pages, but if i were to guess, since this crossed species they are afraid it will mutate again. And they have the chance to isloate it so it isnt a reguler type virus. Thays why its scarry. We know what the flu strands turn into. This we dont.

I guess my thought/confusion on the whole thing, is if everybody doesn't do it at once, it won't work. If Bay area is doing a shelter in place then they are helping the spread in their area. But as soon as they come out of their shelter in place and start interacting with other people who haven't been under those same guidelines, then they are still as much of at risk at getting it and then spreading it now that their shelter in place is gone. if the whole country doesn't go shelter in place at the same time the whole thing is kind of pointless in my opinion.
In Italy, I think the whole country went down into shelter in place which is why it would be more effective there. because everybody is being quarantined at the same time which means everybody is coming out of it at the same time. With everybody coming and going out of shelter and places it's hard to say that it's going to help at all in my opinion.
Maybe someone can elaborate on why this isn't true because I am genuinely confused.

I wonder if it’s b/c that generation has seen they’re share of end of the world type scenarios that ended up not as bad as predicted so they’re more skeptical? Part of what made Hurricane Katrina so devastating for this area is that ppl had just evacuated for that big one (ivan) the year before & it went somewhere else. So ppl were skeptical to trust the experts the next time & stayed.
Without getting into specifics and to avoid being political, I will say that in my very small sample size, it seems political beliefs and primary news sources are having an effect.

I saw a poll this past weekend that indicated the perceived threat of the Coronavirus was divided along political lines. I would be curious to see that same poll conducted again right now.

Another factor I believe, is that many Baby Boomers do not believe they are "elderly". They are "forever young". It seems people are behaving as if at risk groups are "the elderly WITH health conditions" instead of "the elderly AND those with health conditions".

It's obvious to me why college aged kids tend not to take this as seriously. It's nothing unique to their specific generation. Especially in the modern era, most people in the age range of "not a child, but not fully an adult" are just dumb and reckless, thinking they will live forever. I was, my Dad was, his Dad was. It's a phase most of us go through to some extent until we have "real" responsibilities.

Last edited:
Without getting into specifics and to avoid being political, I will say that in my very small sample size, it seems political beliefs and primary news sources are having an effect.

I saw a poll this past weekend that indicated the perceived threat of the Coronavirus was divided along political lines. I would be curious to see that same poll conducted again right now.

Another factor I believe, is that many Baby Boomers do not believe they are "elderly". They are "forever young". It seems people are behaving that at risk groups are "the elderly WITH health conditions" instead of "the elderly AND those with health conditions".

It's obvious to me why college aged kids tend not to take this as seriously. It's nothing unique to their specific generation. Especially in the modern era, most people in the age range of "not a child, but not fully an adult" are just dumb and reckless, thinking they will live forever. I was, my Dad was, his Dad was. It's a phase most of us go through to some extent until we have "real" responsibilities.
Those polls....don't believe them. They can be skewed and are not accurate in my own personal experience. I wish they would go away for now because we have way more pressing concerns at this time.

Those polls....don't believe them. They can be skewed and are not accurate in my own personal experience. I wish they would go away for now because we have way more pressing concerns at this time.
Yeah, I don't out much weight to them, but thought it was an interesting sociological discussion. Out of the elderly I know that haven't taken this seriously, I have heard the term "hoax" and other more politically divisive language, that are basically direct quotes of certain talking heads.

Yeah, I don't out much weight to them, but thought it was an interesting sociological discussion. Out of the elderly I know that haven't taken this seriously, I have heard the term "hoax" and other more politically divisive language, that are basically direct quotes of certain talking heads.
Not going there.

And I don't mean to really "go there", other than to make the point that we all need to be aware of our own biases and try to stick to facts as much as possible.✌
It's BS especially in times like this. Some folks can't ever lay it down and focus on common goals.

Vail, CO doctors are sending out a huge alarm. They have 56 beds and are already having to send cases to Denver. They have over 400 tests pending, and instead of the 24-48 hours of receiving the test results, it's taking 4-5 days. They say they probably have over 1000 cases in Eagle County.

Also making the news this morning is that younger adults are now comprising the a big portion of hospitalized cases in the US:
But of the 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 38 percent were notably younger — between 20 and 54. And nearly half of the 121 patients who were admitted to intensive care units were adults under 65, the C.D.C. reported.
Here's the article: Younger Adults Comprise Big Portion of Coronavirus Hospitalizations in U.S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter