Why would a watch we bought at Walmart say not for kids under 12?

traces7

DIS Veteran
I bought a watch at Walmart for my soon to be 11 year old DD. I noticed that it said not intended for children under 12, why would that be? I asked the lady in the jewelry department and she said it's probably because of the small parts in it, but 12 seems a little old for that message. So, now I'm worried that maybe it has lead in it. Would that be why, you think?

I also noticed a lot of the jewelry said not for children under 14, why? :confused3 Anyone know? Think I should be worried? :confused3 We bought the watch and my DD told me not to worry so much, but of course I always do!

Thanks! :goodvibes

I bought a watch at Walmart for my soon to be 11 year old DD. I noticed that it said not intended for children under 12, why would that be? I asked the lady in the jewelry department and she said it's probably because of the small parts in it, but 12 seems a little old for that message. So, now I'm worried that maybe it has lead in it. Would that be why, you think?

I also noticed a lot of the jewelry said not for children under 14, why? :confused3 Anyone know? Think I should be worried? :confused3 We bought the watch and my DD told me not to worry so much, but of course I always do!

Thanks! :goodvibes

i don't know either. :confused3 but now you've got me wondering too. i'm curious to see if anybody has a good reason for this!!!

I don't have the answer either, but I was at Target looking at cheap earrings and on the back it said not for children 14 and under. I put them back. Then I had to go back another day to make sure I read it right. I did, they are a 3 or 4 pack of earrings for $4.99. They must contain something undesireable!

Hi,
just had a lia sophia party(jewelry).....and i noticed on the back of the catalog....."our jewelery not intended for children under 18.

I joked with the rep and said What....."we have to be 18 to wear poison leaking jewlewry".

She said actually....no I don't think any of our stuff was recalled...BUT...
we had a childrens line and discontinued it with all the lead scare:scared1:
Kerri

I believe the answer is that products designed for younger children have to go through more rigorous testing. So it's cheaper for companies just to put that warning on the product. CYA, as usual.

Delurking to let you know the answer...it has to do with new lead testing laws. There is some new law about rhinestones especially and testing for lead. Apparently every item containing rhinestones for children under 12 must have some kind of "official" certification concerning lead testing. Some manufactures have decided to label things as "not for under 12" to get around it.

Lots of discussion in the Irish dance world concerning this, as costumes are loaded with rhinestones.

Hope that helps.

Delurking to let you know the answer...it has to do with new lead testing laws. There is some new law about rhinestones especially and testing for lead. Apparently every item containing rhinestones for children under 12 must have some kind of "official" certification concerning lead testing. Some manufactures have decided to label things as "not for under 12" to get around it.

Lots of discussion in the Irish dance world concerning this, as costumes are loaded with rhinestones.

Hope that helps.

So, do you think it's safe for her to wear it? I did some more research on lead in jewelry, etc and it says it only can hurt you if you put it in your mouth. It can't leak through your skin - that was what I was starting to wonder about. So it should be ok, right? She's almost 11, but she's probably the size of a 12 or 13 year old anyway. Ughh! I'm such a worry wort!:sad2:

Was the watch made in China? I believe that they have to put a minimum age on the product so they can continue to use roofies and lead pain as ingredients.

My guess would be because some under 12 year old did something stupid with the watch and the parents blamed Wal-mart.

I believe the answer is that products designed for younger children have to go through more rigorous testing. So it's cheaper for companies just to put that warning on the product. CYA, as usual.

I think it's probably this.

My guess would be because some under 12 year old did something stupid with the watch and the parents blamed Wal-mart.

Though this wouldn't really surprise me either.

But in the end, unless you feel your DD is likely to put the watch in her mouth, I wouldn't worry.

Yes, it was made in China. What are roofies?

Well, I was just joking but it is a slang term for Flunitrazepam. More information can be found here.

Toys were recalled because they contained a chemical that metabolized into the drug.

Try here:

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/sect101.html

Lots of fine print, here's some of it:

The limits on the amount of lead in children’s products are phased in over the course of three years. By February 10, 2009, products designed or intended primarily for children 12 and younger may not contain more than 600 ppm of lead. Children’s products that contain more lead than 600 ppm are banned in the U.S. after February 10, 2009, and the sale of those products can result in significant civil and criminal liability. The statute provides that paint, coatings or electroplating may not be considered a barrier that would make the lead content of a product inaccessible to a child. After 1 year from enactment, or August 14, 2009, products designed or intended primarily for children 12 and younger cannot contain more than 300 ppm of lead. The limit goes down to 100 ppm after three years, or August 14, 2011, unless the Commission determines that it is not technologically feasible to have this lower limit.

Your watch probably has more than 300 ppm of lead in its paint or coatings (but less than 600 ppm). Their labeling attempts to get around the requirement above, that was required by August of last year. They may as well put in big red letters

HEY, WE HAVE MORE LEAD THAN WE SHOULD IN OUR PRODUCTS, SO WE'RE PUTTING SILLY AGE LIMITS ON OUR STUFF SO YOU'LL BUY IT ANYWAY.

But no, they just put "Not intended for children under the age of ___."

Hope that helps.

That was my first thought. It probably has to do with lead content.

Hope that helps.

YUP! its all about TOXINS, usually imported from third world countries (ya know the ones that keep us running) :eek:

If there is possible lead in the rhinestones, make sure she washes her hands after touching them, especially before eating or touching her mouth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter