Why OKW really IS an Epcot resort!

Originally posted by Richyams
Actually, OKW WAS first classified as an "Epcot Area Resort". You drove into WDW and followed the signs to the "Epcot Area Resorts", the big signs that listed the resorts had OKW on the "Epcot Area Resorts" class.

Sorry Deep.
Not that it really matters, because it is pretty common knowlege which resorts are really Epcot resorts, MK resorts etc., but I don't ever remember this. Of course I don't have pictures or a vivid recollection of the road signs that I passed 1,000s of times and that have changed almost as many times, but all the WDW literature that I have dating back to 1994 has the Disney Vacation Club resort listed as a Disney Village/Marketplace resort and then later the names are changed to the OKW resort listed as a Downtown Disney resort.

My recollection is the same as Richy's. OKW was always classified as an Epcot-area resort on signage, etc. I never knew it had been changed until this thread came up. Next time I'm poking through old items I'll see what comes up. It's really not worth quibbling about. Maybe we should call Dolphin, Y&B and BCV the Epcot resorts and the BWV and the Swan the Studio resorts. They'd still be in the same places.

Isnt't CBR called an Epcot resort---and yet you can't walk to Epcot from there, either.

Oh dear! My fun post is turning serious!

I too thought it was called an Epcot resort when we purchased, and for sure was when we took our first tour of DVC back in '92. At that time there was no Boardwalk, and I am not even sure Internation Gateway was there.

At any rate, I thought the picture was great fun and truely does show how close OKW actually is to Epcot. I would like to see a newer pic like this one. I'll bet there are lots of developments that don't show in this picture that we are not even aware of.

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
Anyone know what the little cluster of buildings is near the upper left hand corner of the pic? You can also see just how much area is there to develop for SSR too. I noticed when we were there in August that the tree houses are still standing. Not sure they are using them though. I wonder if this will be added to SSR too.

That little cluster is the recycling plant. It's a very sophisticated technology and is (or used to be) included in the "Behind the Magic" tour.

The original signage at WDW did include The Disney Vacation Club Resort as an Epcot Resort. However, in Birnbaum's it was originally listed as a Village Resort- along with Post Orleans and Dixie Landings and Disney Village Resort. This designation was changed (about 1996) to Village Area Resorts and included a name change to OKW and DI. Birnbaum's now refers to the area as Downtown Disney Area Resorts.

Birnbaums originally had 3 categories for onsite resorts. Magic Kingdom Resorts included the Contemporary, Polynesian, Disney Inn (originally the Golf Inn and now Shades of Green), Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground and Grand Floridian. Wlderness Lodge was added to that group.
Epcot Resorts were listed by Birnbaum's as Caribbean Beach, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan and Dolphin. BW (inn and Villas) were added in 1996. The category is now Epcot Area Resorts.

The Village Resorts completed the original desigantion used by Birnbaums.

In 1996, a 4th category was added- Value Resorts and that was changed in 1998 to Animal Kingdom Area and included All Star Sports and Music and Coronado Springs. 2000 saw All Star Movies added to that category and in 2001 Animal Kingdom Lodge joined the others on that list.

Whew!!

Thanks for the photo, Diane- it IS a fun post! :)

Incidentally, the <a href="http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=14&x=139&y=980&z=17&w=1">Terra Server Site</a> offers US Geological Survey maps of the entire US. You can also zoom in on specific areas. This one is from 1999.

Originally posted by WebmasterDoc
That little cluster is the recycling plant. It's a very sophisticated technology and is (or used to be) included in the "Behind the Magic" tour.

The original signage at WDW did include The Disney Vacation Club Resort as an Epcot Resort. However, in Birnbaum's it was originally listed as a Village Resort- along with Post Orleans and Dixie Landings and Disney Village Resort. This designation was changed (about 1996) to Village Area Resorts and included a name change to OKW and DI. Birnbaum's now refers to the area as Downtown Disney Area Resorts.

Birnbaums originally had 3 categories for onsite resorts. Magic Kingdom Resorts included the Contemporary, Polynesian, Disney Inn (originally the Golf Inn and now Shades of Green), Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground and Grand Floridian. Wlderness Lodge was added to that group.
Epcot Resorts were listed by Birnbaum's as Caribbean Beach, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan and Dolphin. BW (inn and Villas) were added in 1996. The category is now Epcot Area Resorts.

The Village Resorts completed the original desigantion used by Birnbaums.

In 1996, a 4th category was added- Value Resorts and that was changed in 1998 to Animal Kingdom Area and included All Star Sports and Music and Coronado Springs. 2000 saw All Star Movies added to that category and in 2001 Animal Kingdom Lodge joined the others on that list.

Whew!!

Thanks for the photo, Diane- it IS a fun post! :)
Thanks Doc, that explains it. I was looking at Birnbaums 1994 book and it is listed as the DVC resort at Disney Village.

Yes, we toured the recycle center one of the times we did the backstage magic tour. This tour has changed so much over the years, that I like to take it every 3-4 years. One time we got to go through the Reedy Creek fire/police station. Also great fun.

I guess I need to find a more up to date photo.

BTW Doc, I went to your linked picture, and noticed it was taken Jan. 6, 1999. I was at OKW at that time! Can you see me down there near the GV in building 22?;) Makes you think of Big Brother watching when you realize you could be in one of those photos!:eek:

Does anyone know if coming back from Epcot to OKW by car if you can take the Backstage Lane road in the SE corner of the Epcot Lot and back across to Bonnet Creek Pkwy just south of the OKW entrance?

thanks
jaysue

Originally posted by jaysue
Does anyone know if coming back from Epcot to OKW by car if you can take the Backstage Lane road in the SE corner of the Epcot Lot and back across to Bonnet Creek Pkwy just south of the OKW entrance?

thanks
jaysue
Interesting question. Don't know. But looking at the photo it sure shows that would make short work out of getting from Epcot back to OKW wouldn't it.

Maybe someone can check that out for all of us.

As to the cluster of buildings North of MK, we did enjoy seeing them on the Keys tour many years ago. The big parking lot there is CM parking, and I believe they still run a shuttle bus from there to the underground MK employee (sorry...CM), entrance.

Doc, are you sure about Jan 1999 for the photo? You can clearly see Pop Century under construction. Has it really been 4-5 years since they started that project?

You can also see ground being cleared for the BCV resort.

There's no hint of the Fairfield resort at all so the photo was taken way before any of that was ever started.

I did notice the pathway from OKW to DD sure goes the 'long' way around as it follows the waterways. As the crow flies, OKW is very close to DD, basically across what appears to be part of the golf course, then across the large parking lot straight to the DD buildings.

BTW, at 56K dial-up which is what I use, it took 10 minutes to download. But now it's saved on my computer.

This is a very cool photo.

P.S, I also remember signage that included the Disney Vacation Club resort as being grouped with the Epcot Area resorts.

I also remember seeing a sign about Epcot being built and the opening ceremonies to be held on a specific date. Of course that sign was erected a good 1-1/2 years before Epcot opened. We wondered about the non-strike clauses that must have been written into that construction contract. pirate:

BTW, if interested, if you find OKW, the road just to the west of it that goes north past the old Port Orleans and Dixie Landings resorts, you'll see it goes to a 'T' intersection. At that intersection you'll see that if you go to the right (East), the road curves around and goes to the huge WDW warehouse area.

If you take the road to the left it goes past the campground. You can see all the campground 'loops'.

Also, at that 'T' intersection, if you theoretically went straight, you would be going into the Eagle Pines DVC resort. If they ever build it. Don't know for sure how it was suppose to fit in there, but it appears it would be surrounded by several golf course holes, and would have a stream going through the middle of it (Assuming it was that large and they crossed the stream and built on both sides. If they used all that land it would appear it could be about the same size area as OKW.)

Doc, are you sure about Jan 1999 for the photo? You can clearly see Pop Century under construction. Has it really been 4-5 years since they started that project?
I am sure that is correct, Caskbill! Pop Century was started shortly after we joined DVC in '97. It has sat empty for a LONG time!

Oh dear! My fun post is turning serious!
\
Hey...I'm still having fun reading through all the posts Diane :wave2: I don't have a recollection of OKW being an Epcot area resort, but then again, I can barely remember what I had for dinner the other night ! I am finding all the information very interesting.
Thanks for the cool pic Doc. It really does make it look like you can just simply cross the street from OKW and get to Epcot ;) if I'm seeing this correctly !

Maria, I too remember the signs saying OKW was an Epcot resort, but I think those were all changed when they developed the Boardwalk area. They were still up when we purchased in '97, but they changed before our next trip.

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
Check this out over all WDW property view

Looks like OKW is equidistant between DTD and Epcot. :D

Once this behemoth loaded, I saved it to my hard drive. It is amazing the detail you get when you zoom in! Thanks!

It also shows how the imagineers have skillfully set up WDW to give the impression of vast space, when in fact, many things are right up close toeach other. Hech, they could build a people mover from OKW to Epcot! Wouldn't that be cool?!

When I played golf at LBV we played on holes near POR and DTD. It is wild how well separated they have made everything.

I wonder when the next satellite pass is scheduled so we can see a newer picture.

I guess if you could easily walk from OKW to Epcot, take a boat or monorail or some other non-bus form of transportation, that would make it an Epcot resort.

Originally posted by Desperado
I wonder when the next satellite pass is scheduled so we can see a newer picture.

I guess if you could easily walk from OKW to Epcot, take a boat or monorail or some other non-bus form of transportation, that would make it an Epcot resort.

Fortunately they couldn't do anything about the points but they DEFINITELY would increase dues if you could do that.

Originally posted by WebmasterDoc

Incidentally, the <a href="http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=14&x=139&y=980&z=17&w=1">Terra Server Site</a> offers US Geological Survey maps of the entire US. You can also zoom in on specific areas. This one is from 1999.

Anyone happen to know if a higher res version of this or the color pic are available? Thinking it would make a wonderful wall hanging for my office. Looks like the USGS maps are available down to 1m resolution which looks quite nice, but even on "large" you can't get enough area covered to make a good pic. Guess I could piece it together myself, but was wondering if that bit of work had already been done before I set out to do it... :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts