Why no boy themed character meals?!?!

I think we should all bombard Disney with E-mails letters etc, telling them how much we would all love a themed boy type meal, that will also appeal to girls, (don't want to upset the girls).

Personally, I would love to go see the princessess, but I travel with two boys and they always win. I would love to have breakfast with buzz and co.

Deeply, deeply dissappointed that the buz meal did not go ahead. Here in the UK, we haven't even heard of the playhouse thing, so they won't get many brits going.

How 'bout a hero breakfast - robin hood, peter pan, aladdin, incredibles, etc. pick 4 out of a rotation of 8 or 10.

I agree. I am a girl but I travel with my 8 y/o brother all the time. He only would take a picture with a Princess because my Mom made him. Honestly, I think we need a boy character meal.

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
They actually WERE going to have a Toy Story breakfast... but after lots of research and polling, the Playhouse Disney characters won by a landslide. So, starting June 15th, Hollywood & Vine at the Disney-MGM Studios will have "Play 'n Dine" breakfast and lunch with all the Playhouse Disney characters.

This really, really, really surprises me. If it was not you who posted it, I would never believe it.

jncvh said:
I would love to see some type of Pirates theme meal!!! Not for the kids but for myself. Maybe a BBQ type buffett, where you eat everything with your hands, maybe even a dinner show similar to Medevil Times but with pirates. :goodvibes

Man, that really needs to happen. I think it would go over very well.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned it here yet but they had a "boy" themed dinner. It was a villians dinner at 1900 Parke Fare before they put the Cindrella dinner there. It was empty. They could not fill it. It only lasted about 6 months and they changed it to Cinderella. It filled right away. There was some rumours around at the time about a boy themed dinner but when that one failed I think they shelved the idea.

My DNephew was asked to do a survey for Disney and he asked for a boys themed dinner with "no princess allowed!" :rotfl2:

crisi said:
!!!! We always do the Poly character breakfast, and its always completely booked when we do it. We've waited 40 minutes past our ADR time to get seated. Don't know where you are getting "its never crowded there anyway."

We do the character breakfast at Ohana every time we go to WDW and we have never seen it crowded and certainly have never had to wait.

Kitka said:
Honestly? Things are only 'boy' things if you tell them they are. My son loved his 1900 GF Cinderella Dinner.

And Chef Mickey's, the Polynesian, and Crystal Palace offer characters that couldn't be considered anything byut gender neutral. I believe GF breakfast does too.

I don't see anything wrong with Disney offering more princess themed meals - boys have seen princess themed movies too. There are plenty of character meals out there that all children can enjoy!

My 3 yr old boy has no interest in princesses and unless he asked to go to one of the princess meals, I would never take him. I know he would rather see Mickey and the gang at a meal. I just believe that it would be nice to have another choice for character dining other than princesses. A pixar type of character meal would appeal to all. Let's face it, while there are some boys that go to the princess meals, the majority of children are female. Disney has a huge hit with these princess meals. Parents buy the princess dresses, take their daughters to the character meals, and then the kids wear the princess gowns around the park.

heatherbelle said:
I think we should all bombard Disney with E-mails letters etc, telling them how much we would all love a themed boy type meal, that will also appeal to girls, (don't want to upset the girls).

Personally, I would love to go see the princessess, but I travel with two boys and they always win. I would love to have breakfast with buzz and co.

Deeply, deeply dissappointed that the buz meal did not go ahead. Here in the UK, we haven't even heard of the playhouse thing, so they won't get many brits going.

Its been done. Repeatedly. You are, of course, welcome to send your own letter, but thousands have been sent. A petition went with over a thousand signatures. Disney seems to not want to do this simply because we ask.

They had a hero's breakfast for Mother's Day several years ago. Everyone said if it went well, it would be made permanent. It sold out in less than a day, went well, and no Hero's breakfast.

Then this latest "there is actually a casting call" for the Toy Story breakfast. Again, nothing.

Maybe by the time my kids have kids, Disney will decide to do something. In the meantime, all appearences are that they have no intention of following through on this. Reason unknown, but it isn't for lack of a lobbying effort.

They used to do a Villians dinner, but dropped that years ago as well. Suspicion at the time was too many little kids were scared, leaving too many unsatisifed guests (people will blame anyone but themselves when Junior is frightened of Cruella).

limabeanmom2003 said:
We do the character breakfast at Ohana every time we go to WDW and we have never seen it crowded and certainly have never had to wait.

Then how come you didn't know it was Lilo and Stitch now and not just Mickey? Maybe you haven't been since the change (niether have I so I have no first hand knowledge) and it is now crowded, with their addtion?

Shelly

Here are some meal suggestions for those of you looking for boy stuff to do:

Our boys have loved all of these:

Hoop dee doo (FW)
Mickeys Backyard Barbeque (FW)
Spirit of Aloha (POLY)
Breakfastasaurus (AK)
Chef Mickeys (CR)
Pirate Cruise (peanut butter and Jelly type lunch served)(GF)
Sci Fi (MGM)
Prime Time (MGM)
Liberty Tree Tavern (MK)
Crystal Palace (MK)

Doesnt' Cape May Buffet still have Admiral Goofy? The boys loved that as well as Breakfastasaurus. We dined in the castle, and in addition to the princesses, were surprised with Peter Pan and Captain Hook, (who got into a pretend battle that culminated in an accidental colision with waitstaff and resulted in a wizard of a crash, coffe pots plates etc...) Years ago there was also a meal at MGM that had the Alladin characters. The highlight of this meal was Jafar breaking our only blue crayon. My now adult sons still talk about this.

DisneyDadof3 said:
How 'bout a hero breakfast - robin hood, peter pan, aladdin, incredibles, etc. pick 4 out of a rotation of 8 or 10.

Sounds like a good idea to me too. While I agree that there are plenty of character meals that boys might like, there are none that are directed towards them. Let's be honest, my DS8 is way less than thrilled that we are going to the Princess Character Breakfast in Norway for DD3. Sure, he likes Mickey, Donald and others but so does DD. I hope that they do decide to have one directed at boys soon.

A Pixar meal would be great for both boys and girls. I don't have kids yet, but when I was a little girl I wasn't a girly girl and much preferred the animal characters. I'd have chosen Mickey and friends, Pooh and friends, and the Pixar characters (especially Monsters Inc.) over princesses.

Crazy4mandms said:
Honestly, there is a natural, obvious difference between boys and girls. I've never told my boys that they can't play with Barbie Dolls or dress up like Cinderella, but geesh....do they actually WANT to?? They go to female cousin's houses and there are Barbies and dress up and they can play away all they'd like, I don't find anything wrong with boys playing with dolls, etc.....but THEY choose not to. I wish my boys would want to go to a princess meal (besides wanting to gawk at them because they are good-lookin'!) because I think I would enjoy it...but they are boys through and through......what is wrong for wanting a meal where boys can dress like Rangers or Soldiers and rub elbows with their heroes (as a female I would LOVE this!)

We love doing the character meals with Mickey and Goofy, but to be amongst the villians or heroes would be awesome! And for the record, I'd take my daughter, too if she wanted to go (if I had one!)

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a meal with hero figures, I just object to the gender sterotyping like 'boy' things and 'girl' things. But yes, I realized once I had a boy that he was drawn more strongly to certain things than my DD, whether that's societal or inherent.

I just want to see more diversified character meals, whether it's hero, villian, etc. based. I agree there is a need for that. I just find it hard to swallow calling princess dinners 'girl' meals and looking for something hero/villian/Toy Story based as a 'boy' thing. My somewhat 'tomboy' daughter and son who yes, enjoys watching Cinderella with his sister defy stereotypes so it's hard not to post when I read them.

I was looking for boy stuff, guess I can stop looking now because they obviously don't have any...hmmm doesn't really seem fair. Isn't there a girls specialty shop for "princess" princess: stuff? Is there a specialty store like that for male pirate: costumes?

I'm not saying to take any of the girl stuff away just add a little something that boys would :yay: over.

Luv'sTink said:
I was looking for boy stuff, guess I can stop looking now because they obviously don't have any...hmmm doesn't really seem fair. Isn't there a girls specialty shop for "princess" princess: stuff? Is there a specialty store like that for male pirate: costumes?
There is, yes. The World of Disney store at DTD has a Princess Room for girls and an Adventure Room for boys- Pirate and Peter Pan themed. They have a make-your-own pirate hat station, and a fill-your-own treasure chest there. Very cool! There are pictures on www.allearsnet.com and in the DIS.

I'm not sure how to phrase this exactly but it seems as though things that are for girls are only for girls. Take for instance pink stollers or the princess breakfast. On the other hand, things that are for boys can usually be for boys or girls. Take for instance navy strollers and Chef Mickeys. It's always been that way.

I bet if you were to go through and name all the boy/everyone things to do at WDW and the girl only things there would be way more boy/everyone.

If Disney did do a boy dining experience I bet there would be lots of girls there too. My DD6 loves Power Rangers.

I'm glad they have some things geared towards girls. We're coming to a point finnaly in society that it's ok to wear pink and enjoy all things that are girl. I have started to notice that now there are car seats and stollers that are pink!! :cheer2: Not one to be found 6 years ago when DD was born.

The girl stuff at WDW is payback for all the years of the girls having to ride around in blue cars seats, navy stollers and for having to wear yellow and green because boys can't wear pink (think baby shower gifts). ;)

shellybaxter said:
Then how come you didn't know it was Lilo and Stitch now and not just Mickey? Maybe you haven't been since the change (niether have I so I have no first hand knowledge) and it is now crowded, with their addtion?

Shelly

What is the arguement here? All I am saying is that it has never been crowded when we have been there. That's my experience. Apparently your experience is different than mine. Now, the last time we were there was during the hurricanes in '04, so that would account for the low attendance. But, the times before that were never crowded either. . I can only speak from my experiences. Actually, I don't think of Lilo and Stitch as a great addition, but I understand how they fit into the theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter