• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why is Poly so expensive

I’d likely never have paid rack rate. After staying twice DVC though, I definitely see the higher value that Poly commands.

Not to put other resorts down but most aspects of Poly are superior to counterparts. I used to think Poly’s higher price was mostly just an ‘MK tax’ to be in the vicinity. The rooms are bigger, nicer, more functional. Dining, pools, lounges, transportation options… resort amenities are top notch. I needed to stay there to fully appreciate the differences that go beyond even places like BW and BC. It is an all-around elevated experience and now I understand why the point chart is so much higher, along with rack rates. The only deluxes we haven’t tried yet are SSR and RIV and I’ve come to the conclusion Poly can be one of the better values even considering the higher cost, depending on what you want out of a trip.

DVC is a little different from cash in that villas aren’t quite as fancy (I guess is the word?) as resort rooms. Still stunning though and I’ll take that tradeoff to save 50% off rack rates. The other tradeoffs are needing to plan sooner and be more committed than cash booking. DVC is less flexible.

I'm looking at renting DVC points to be at least a reasonable price. I think it's 23 points night? I've never done this before so I'm just now looking into this for a trip next year.

I'm looking at renting DVC points to be at least a reasonable price. I think it's 23 points night? I've never done this before so I'm just now looking into this for a trip next year.
There’s a point chart. Points needed depends on the dates of your trip. Like Sept weekday can be as low as 14 points a night and this upcoming Fri as much as 32 points that night.
IMG_0758.jpeg

Rental prices vary. If there’s still Poly availability at 7 months or under, points can be rented from any DVC resort owner (not just Poly owner) and on the rent/trade board here on DIS can be found in $16-$18 per point range. But DVC availability at 7 months is much more of a gamble than booking in the home resort period. This is 7-11 months out, only a specific resort owner can book that resort. None of the other resorts can ‘trade in’ until 7 months out. For home priority booking at high demand resorts, point rental costs here are typically $19-$22 per point.

After renting points various ways I prefer Disboards because the best pricing and least hassle with higher demand rooms. There is a bit of a learning curve though. It took booking through brokers to get the experience to be confident enough renting person to person.

The obvious answer is supply and demand, since they don't have that many non-DVC rooms and a lot of people want to stay there. Some factors I can think of:
  • Location to both MK and Epcot monorails
  • Polynesian theming goes well with the idea of vacation for most people
  • Dining options
  • Volcano pool and slide
  • Fireworks from the beach
  • Large rooms that sleep 5
I would guess the first three are the main drivers. People love being on the monorail and will gladly pay a lot of money to stay there.

We rented for many years and didn't have any issues, but as others have said it's not flexible. I'm renting next year because all the standard rooms at Poly are booked up (August 21st for 5 nights). We don't mind the 'less fancy' room, we just want to stay there (it's a birthday treat). My back up is GF resort studio.

We rented for many years and didn't have any issues, but as others have said it's not flexible. I'm renting next year because all the standard rooms at Poly are booked up (August 21st for 5 nights). We don't mind the 'less fancy' room, we just want to stay there (it's a birthday treat). My back up is GF resort studio.
Yeah :thumbsup2 It is still plenty ‘fancy’ lol. The difference is just slightly fancier decor at Poly, and when VGF recently added Big Pine Key those resort studios are the slightly fancier (just like the cash rooms).

For Poly (hard to see in these pics):

Cash room-
IMG_0759.jpeg
DVC room-
IMG_0760.jpeg

There are subtle differences and I’d say generally the cash room has slightly fancier decor details.

Poly layouts are a bit different too:
IMG_0763.jpeg
IMG_0762.jpeg
I love love love the second shower in DVC villa.

Yeah :thumbsup2 It is still plenty ‘fancy’ lol. The difference is just slightly fancier decor at Poly, and when VGF recently added Big Pine Key those resort studios are the slightly fancier (just like the cash rooms).

For Poly (hard to see in these pics):

Cash room-
View attachment 854070
DVC room-
View attachment 854071

There are subtle differences and I’d say generally the cash room has slightly fancier decor details.

Poly layouts are a bit different too:
View attachment 854072
View attachment 854073
I love love love the second shower in DVC villa.
It's definitely not my first choice resort, I would prefer GF, but it's my nephew's 18th so he gets to choose. We have 8 nights at POR first then move to Poly for 5 nights, hopefully 🤞

IMG_0764.jpegIMG_0765.jpeg

Above is Grand Flo cash room and also the new ‘Resort Room’ category DVC VGF added.

Below is the classic VGF studio. These are less fancy looking to me but I love they have they extra shower!

IMG_0766.jpegIMG_0767.jpeg

The first time I stayed at the Polynesian was in 1994. There were just two of us that went and the total price for our 7 night trip INCLUDING Length of Stay tickets, and airfare was…just over $1500 o_O
And back then the hotel was calm and peaceful. No character breakfasts, no DVC, no bungalows. The lobby still had the beautiful atrium waterfalls. Ahh…those were the days. Now…forget it. Way too expensive and they’ve downgraded this resort over the years.

... We are looking to go to Disney summer 2025 and I checked prices for a basic resort view room, and it was $842 a night. How does everyone afford this?…
“Everyone” does not afford this. Many cannot afford this. However, some people can afford this or they wouldn’t have the demand they have. So, that means maybe you don’t make as much as you think you make OR you value things differently.

just over $1500 o_O
We stayed Lake View studio Dec 2023 and rack rate was $1,398 a night after taxes. We paid 22pts DVC :cool1:

I do remember our first family visit in the early 2000s booking the whole trip through WDW online for $1,300. That came with RT airfare NYC-MCO, 4 nights at AllStar Music *POP Century, 4 day tickets, Rental car, and pick of show (two I remember were Spirit of Aloha or Character Breakfast Ohana). Just had to pay for food and a Mr Potatohead lol.

*DH just reminded this was POP and later we tried ASMusic.

Last edited:
I stayed there in 2015 for $200 a night when a certain travel agent did magical deals in August. We also stayed at beach club for the same price and did a split stay. For 5 nights at each place plus 8 day hoppers for a family of four we paid around $3600. Crazy looking back on that.

I enjoyed the Poly but not enough to ever pay rack rate or even with 30% off. It just didn’t live up to the hype I kept reading about. My kids actually enjoyed the CBR pool over the Poly. The huge rooms are such a plus when going as a family and can see people paying extra for that convenience and perk.

I stayed there in 2015 for $200 a night when a certain travel agent did magical deals in August. We also stayed at beach club for the same price and did a split stay. For 5 nights at each place plus 8 day hoppers for a family of four we paid around $3600. Crazy looking back on that.

I enjoyed the Poly but not enough to ever pay rack rate or even with 30% off. It just didn’t live up to the hype I kept reading about. My kids actually enjoyed the CBR pool over the Poly. The huge rooms are such a plus when going as a family and can see people paying extra for that convenience and perk.
Yeah, CBR has a great pool! Last stayed there over 5 years ago, paid about $170/nt and it showed us a deal for Poly at $330/nt. We spend much more resort time nowadays so the differences make the upgrade more valuable to us.

Wow, never thought (or knew) about renting points. I'm going to have to research this more. We're looking for 3-4 nights next April. Is it best to wait until 6 mos before to rent/book?

Wow, never thought (or knew) about renting points. I'm going to have to research this more. We're looking for 3-4 nights next April. Is it best to wait until 6 mos before to rent/book?
You want to book 11 months before your trip. That will be next month. The booking window for owners at each resort opens at 11 months, so that will give you the best chance of getting the room you want.

You want to book 11 months before your trip. That will be next month. The booking window for owners at each resort opens at 11 months, so that will give you the best chance of getting the room you want.
Okay, help a novice here. When you say that I will get the room I want, am I choosing a particular room number (like on a cruise ship) or am I looking for the class of room (ex. standard, water view, etc.)?

So, I rent the points from someone who isn't going to use them and wants the cash and then I use those points to book a room? Is that how it works?

I'm a pass holder at Disneyland, but it like learning a foreign language trying to book a hotel at WDW.

Okay, help a novice here. When you say that I will get the room I want, am I choosing a particular room number (like on a cruise ship) or am I looking for the class of room (ex. standard, water view, etc.)?

So, I rent the points from someone who isn't going to use them and wants the cash and then I use those points to book a room? Is that how it works?

I'm a pass holder at Disneyland, but it like learning a foreign language trying to book a hotel at WDW.
I'll let others chime in here, as I've never rented myself.

If you go to the common rental websites they will have answers for you as well.

In general I think you would just need to know the dates and what resort you want to stay in. The once the rental is made you would get the confirmation number on the reservation. Keep in mind that I don't believe you can cancel once you rent, so it is a bit more restrictive than going through Disney, but you will definitely save money.

Class of room. No way to pick a specific room number.
Pretty much. You pay the owner and the owner makes the reservation using their points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter