Why is everyone up in arms about Starbucks?

GadgetRick

DIS Veteran
I mean, I keep hearing about not wanting a Starbucks in DW. Not sure I get that. Many have expressed their dislike for a corporate entity there, blah blah. This makes absolutely NO sense at all.

First of all, Disney is about the most corporate corporation out there. I guess that's missed on everyone.

Second, Disney has other corporation names throughout DW as they get sponsors for most attractions. Not like we don't see other corporation names throughout DW.

And let's not forget there used to be McDonald's fries in MK (I believe in Frontierland if I remember correctly). Also had a McDonalds in AK for many years. So it's not like it's a new thing.

I don't drink coffee but my wife does and her one big complaint about DW is the horrible coffee there. So they'll (at least) have good coffee--if you like Starbucks that is.

Anyway, with all of the things worth complaining about I think this one makes the least sense.

I don't think it is about Starbucks itself. It seems to be more about WDW replacing the Main Street Bakery. Everyone appears to be upset about that.

I am ALL for the Starbuck's coffee. What WDW has passed off as coffee is long overdue for change!!! However, I don't want to see a Starbuck's outlet right there on Main Street USA. Why can't they simply leave it as the Main St. Bakery "now serving Starbuck's coffee."....?? My biggest complaint is seeing the NAME of the establishment changed, right there out front. I get that Disney IS corporate branding. But I don't want to walk down Main St. and see a store in the MK that I will see anywhere else. I also get that they are going to make it "fit" the theme and not stand out. But again, I'd rather see the name remain the same and just put the changes inside!!

That's my personal beef with all of this. If they want to put a Starbuck's CART somewhere, fine.....Have at it. Just like the McDonald's one they have or had in World Showcase.

They made another announcement saying it would still be called "Main Street Bakery". If they would have said that in the first place, there would not have been such an outrage. Their original announcement was poorly worded.

They made another announcement saying it would still be called "Main Street Bakery". If they would have said that in the first place, there would not have been such an outrage. Their original announcement was poorly worded.

It was explained back in April that the locations would fit the theme where they are placed. In fact, it specifically mentioned that the Disneyland location wouldn't change names.

But then the word "closed" and "refurbed" were used in the article about the bakery, and a lot of people apparently forgot how it was announced originally.

Yep, you hit it on the nose. Well said.

And don't worry, next week we'll resume complaining about fat people on scooters and people who tip mousekeepers less than $500 a day.

I mean, I keep hearing about not wanting a Starbucks in DW. Not sure I get that. Many have expressed their dislike for a corporate entity there, blah blah. This makes absolutely NO sense at all.

First of all, Disney is about the most corporate corporation out there. I guess that's missed on everyone.

Second, Disney has other corporation names throughout DW as they get sponsors for most attractions. Not like we don't see other corporation names throughout DW.

And let's not forget there used to be McDonald's fries in MK (I believe in Frontierland if I remember correctly). Also had a McDonalds in AK for many years. So it's not like it's a new thing.

I don't drink coffee but my wife does and her one big complaint about DW is the horrible coffee there. So they'll (at least) have good coffee--if you like Starbucks that is.

Anyway, with all of the things worth complaining about I think this one makes the least sense.

Everyone isn't up in arms about it. I think its a great idea.

But please, enough with all the MSB/SB threads :crazy2:

Why can't they simply leave it as the Main St. Bakery "now serving Starbuck's coffee."....??

That is exactly what they are doing, that is always what they were doing. I'm not sure if it will stay the Main St. Bakery but who cares? It will be a Disney bakery serving Disney baked goods along with some Starbucks coffee and additional Baked Goods. It was never ever ever ever going to be a Starbucks outlet. Full Stop.

It will be a Disney bakery serving Disney baked goods along with some Starbucks coffee and additional Baked Goods. It was never ever ever ever going to be a Starbucks outlet. Full Stop.

I don't think this is the case. It will reopen as a Starbucks location serving some additional prepackaged Disney baked goods. That is not the same thing at all!

I don't think this is the case. It will reopen as a Starbucks location serving some additional prepackaged Disney baked goods. That is not the same thing at all!

Yes, that is the case. It will remain Main Street Bakery, serving Starbucks coffee.

Not really up in arms, but in all reality?? I want my cinnamon roll, and I want it from Main St Bakery. I am used to that....and that's how I want it to stay!!! I don't want to walk all the way back to FLE to get it.
Okay....whine over.

Most posters are only upset about any changes at all being made to the Main Street Bakery. I don't have any emotional attachment to the bakery so they could put a bar in there for all I care (wish they would personally) but only those who object to Starbucks itself as a corporation are complaining about the Fountain View changing.

Anyway, the bakery isn't going anywhere. The name won't change, the exterior won't change. The interior WILL change. If you want a cinnamon roll specifically you MAY have to go to Gaston's for it, we don't know yet. All they've said is the bakery will continue to sell SOME of the original baked goods they sell now. And yes, it is going to look different inside. It's not that special inside now.

Not really up in arms, but in all reality?? I want my cinnamon roll, and I want it from Main St Bakery. I am used to that....and that's how I want it to stay!!! I don't want to walk all the way back to FLE to get it.
Okay....whine over.

:thumbsup2 That's my *peeve* too! It's always where we get our MK *fix* of cinnamon roll first thing - some changes are hard for me - could care less if they serve Starbucks also (it's too burned for me anyway). :goodvibes

After looking at the sites mentioned above, I'm even more convinced that the *interior* will be *more like Starbucks*, less like MSB even if they *do* keep the name. The DL one says serving all your favorite SB coffees/drinks, pastries, and also some Disney favorites! The *focus* will be on SB. Also, seems to be more extensive menu - like a cafe.

Being as they are closing to refurb, I'm pretty sure it will not have the charm of an old fashioned bakery as it does now, but a more modern *look* if the DL location interior is any indication.

Oh, well, just adding my 2 cents, they will do what they do!!

I don't think it is about Starbucks itself. It seems to be more about WDW replacing the Main Street Bakery. Everyone appears to be upset about that.

I think what you have to take into account is that many of us LOVE, LOVE disney.
I totally, totally admit to have emotions tied to Disney, so even though I logically know change is good, I'm a mother bear when it comes to disney. very protective of her.

Next, I really don't see the need for a starbucks. It is totally possible to get good coffee without having a coporate sponsor to go with it, so this move IMO is purely about the dollar.

Lastly, sorry but imo lately disney has laid some eggs. Pleasure Island is ugly and a wasteland. Many menus are horrible and dumbed down, those new uniforms in the American Pavillion at Epcot makes every women look like a dumping cow, and last but not least "the stitch ride". So I'm not one of those posters who think every thing disney does is fabulous.

So I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. folks here have more faith in the powers that be than I do. I'm praying that I don't see a big "starbucks" sign outside the store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter