Why is everyone so concerned with the new Poly tower

The only difference when CCV was around is that there was no such thing as resale restrictions...so, holding off one way or the other didn't matter.
It mattered a lot at CCV because of the expiration dates, and the chart. DVC used the BR legacy chart anyway, which they didn't have to. But they also kept the full 50 years. So, while Poly2 also has resale restrictions in play, it has the same chart and expiration choices that CCV had.

If VGF2 has shown no one cares about shaving off some years, they could sell Poly2 with 40ish years left and resale restrictions and pump up the chart.

This is also why I think Jambo conversions won't happen. The chart is just too low and they'd be stuck with it.

It mattered a lot at CCV because of the expiration dates, and the chart. DVC used the BR legacy chart anyway, which they didn't have to. But they also kept the full 50 years. So, while Poly2 also has resale restrictions in play, it has the same chart and expiration choices that CCV had.

If VGF2 has shown no one cares about shaving off some years, they could sell Poly2 with 40ish years left and resale restrictions and pump up the chart.

This is also why I think Jambo conversions won't happen. The chart is just too low and they'd be stuck with it.
Good points, but there is a major difference between Poly 1 and Poly 2. The speculation is Poly 2 will have very few studio's since all of Poly 1 is studio's. So with no 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom suites on Poly 1, DVC could charge whatever they want on the new point charts for those rooms without any explanations or loud objections.

So with no 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom suites on Poly 1, DVC could charge whatever they want on the new point charts for those rooms without any explanations or loud objections.
I agree, and I think they will be higher than VGF1.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DVC pull all the levers. Higher price, higher charts, resale restrictions, and 40ish years. If they compromise on one, I think it could be the restrictions, like VGF2.

Absolutely they can..i actually think it’s a good possibility.

What I was referring to was the announcement of CCV being up front. They didn’t need to be vague because they didn’t have a plan for restrictions.

Plus, the expiration date difference was large enough that the strategy to match something they couldn’t do.

No point charts? The good news with Poly tower is they won’t be competing with PVB for any rooms size but studio since there are no 1 or 2 bedrooms. With CCV and BRV, it would have been a much harder sell when both of those would have similar room types.

A resort studio only resort is not the same as what Poly tower will be and I think they knew it had to be incorporated so new buyers could be sold on the notion they have access to 1 and 2 bedrooms.

I agree with that I think we will see it all with Poly tower…especially if they want to use the data to support what happens vs finding a way out.

Is VGF selling with less years? Yup

Are people still buying RIV? Yes. Is the difference between the two enough to cancel restrictions? No

Do both have higher point charts? Yes

Let’s just rip the bandage off and make Poly tower have them all and play the king game.

Well, they did quite a bit of site preparation for Reflections and we all know what happened there.

They really needed to demolish River Country, so it wasn’t a waste.

They also abandoned Eagle Pines after 9/11. I think Golden Oaks or Four Seasons ended up there. SSR was done instead.

That’s why they put in contracts that unopened announced resorts may not be completed.

They really needed to demolish River Country, so it wasn’t a waste.

They also abandoned Eagle Pines after 9/11. I think Golden Oaks or Four Seasons ended up there. SSR was done instead.

That’s why they put in contracts that unopened announced resorts may not be completed.

Yeah, Eagle Pines joined a long list of DVC resorts that never happened.

These from DVC Info, https://*******.com/four-dvc-resorts-that-might-have-been/

1. Disney Vacation Club West @ EPCOT
2. The Mediterranean Village @ Newport Coast in Orange County, CA
3. The Villas at Ford Wilderness Resort

There's probably a ton more than never materialized and haven't leaked. They'll eventually get around to Reflections, provided there's nothing wrong with the land.

My easy answer is we stayed at the Poly several times pre DVC. LOVED the theme. The new tower looks really nice, but it has NOTHING to do with the current POLY theme. If you re-theme the current buildings or make the new tower fit the current theme. BUT, they are doing neither. Instead, they are DROPPING the Reflections Building with a slight Poly theme to it and dropping it next to the Poly.

My easy answer is we stayed at the Poly several times pre DVC. LOVED the theme. The new tower looks really nice, but it has NOTHING to do with the current POLY theme. If you re-theme the current buildings or make the new tower fit the current theme. BUT, they are doing neither. Instead, they are DROPPING the Reflections Building with a slight Poly theme to it and dropping it next to the Poly.
So what’s wrong with that? A more contemporary islandy tower will be a great addition to the monorail route. And I’m not sure anyone would be happy if Disney tried to make a new DVC property look like a somewhat dated longhouse.

So what’s wrong with that? A more contemporary islandy tower will be a great addition to the monorail route. And I’m not sure anyone would be happy if Disney tried to make a new DVC property look like a somewhat dated longhouse.

And I love the new tower look. It might be another hint this is going to be a new resort instead of part of PVB.

It makes the location a destination for 3 options there..PVB, Poly Village Resort (cash), new Poly tower.

Does the Seven Seasons Lagoon need another sterile, contemporary style hotel? There are already two contemporary towers along the monorail.

Does the Seven Seasons Lagoon need another sterile, contemporary style hotel? There are already two contemporary towers along the monorail.
Yes, it does! But I really don’t think the renderings look sterile, or anything like the Contemporary or BLT. Like it or not, DVC in recent years has moved away from building heavily themed resorts in favor of more understated yet still unique designs, like Riviera, VDH, and now Poly2.

Would you rather have a multi story, kitschy monstrosity that looks like a longhouse? Not me.

That's a good question. There was no way DVD was going to build 2-3 story buildings on that plot. Given that it will be a mid-rise instead, what should it look like?

I'm traditional & prefer the orig Poly architecture & theming...It is similar to the wonderful CoCo Palms on Kauai, sadly gone now from Hurricane Iniki in '92.
BUT, the new Tower looks like it will be just like almost all of the upscale chain hotels built since the 80's thruout the Hawaiian islands.
It will be very very popular.

Yes, it does! But I really don’t think the renderings look sterile, or anything like the Contemporary or BLT. Like it or not, DVC in recent years has moved away from building heavily themed resorts in favor of more understated yet still unique designs, like Riviera, VDH, and now Poly2.

Would you rather have a multi story, kitschy monstrosity that looks like a longhouse? Not me.
I think that they do look sterile and don't fit in with the surrounding architecture. Opinions are subjective. This is mine.

I think they could have put a lot more into the design aside from throwing up a few palm trees and Polynesian artwork on the Reflections plans and passing it off as new. Would I want to see multi-story longhouses? No. But there could have been more done to tie it in with the existing resort. Those artist's renderings make it look so out of place when wedged between Poly and GF.

I think the concept art is bland, but the scale of the project makes sense to me, like the VGF tower. It's not like it's blocking anyone's view, that's just a golf course. And the multi story VGF buildings are all right there. Just because the longhouses are really dated, that doesn't mean the new stuff should be. A nice new tower next to the wedding pavilion makes sense.

I'm really disappointed in the VGF2 flip, maybe new construction that isn't as remote as RIV/Reflections is exactly what DVC needs.

I even think the press release left room for some cash stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if the weddings needed some nicer rooms and spaces nearby, like rooms to get brides ready and such. The GF spa is too small and not configured for that. I actually wonder if they get cars from the lobby to the wedding pavilion or something, it's not close to any of the cash stuff. Disney is going HARD on the weddings. If you think park prices are crazy now, check that stuff out. You can rent the bridal suite out three times a day.

Last edited:
I think that they do look sterile and don't fit in with the surrounding architecture. Opinions are subjective. This is mine.

I think they could have put a lot more into the design aside from throwing up a few palm trees and Polynesian artwork on the Reflections plans and passing it off as new. Would I want to see multi-story longhouses? No. But there could have been more done to tie it in with the existing resort. Those artist's renderings make it look so out of place when wedged between Poly and GF.
Everyone seems to be complaining that the new tower looks like Reflections. Uh, so what! Last time I checked Reflections was a recently re-seeded dirt plot that general consensus has staying that way for a very very long time. And I thought the Reflections renderings looked pretty cool, and am glad to see that they yet live on.

Also, and of course this is just my opinion, I wouldn't be interested in buying Poly2 if it looked the slightest bit similar to Poly1, or was influenced in any way by Poly's outdated yet bland architecture. I'm just not a fan.

That said, I do wish that the Poly2 design has a little more islandy, tropical pixie dust sprinkled on it by the imagineers. And I bet it will.

That said, I do wish that the Poly2 design has a little more islandy, tropical pixie dust sprinkled on it by the imagineers. And I bet it will.
This is where you and I agree. I'm sure that the tower will be an amazing place to stay. I just wish it evoked the feeling of tropical splendor instead of urban glass and steel.

I have no doubt it will be popular. Hoping they do improve on the artists rendering.
Once this is built, I feel sorry for those staying at GF and planning to take the monorail to MK. It was often nearly full before getting to GF. With that many more rooms, I expect it to be really full unless they can get more to take the boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter