Why is everyone so concerned with the new Poly tower

I have been waiting on the numbers!! Gotta find them!!!

I agree that this gives them more data. Doesn’t quite mean to me it won’t be a new resort but it does give them data that maybe they will eliminate restrictions??

Scratch that. They sold over 90k points at RIV and out of the 177 K at VGf, only 47K were new buyers.

I’d say this shows that new buyers are still going for RIV as well so it might just tell DVC that pricing is what drive the sales more than anything else.

Basically, VGF increased total sales but RIV went up well. To me, that means it’s back to people choosing DVC and the last year of slower sales May have been more impacted by current travel than anything else.
Sandi - I could not disagree with you more. By the time the new Poly is ready GFV will be sold out and they will still be actively selling RIV, It just does not make sense to add another resort with resale restrictions when they are struggling with an existing one. This does NOT mean the future will not include the restrictions, just that when they add on to existing Resort it will following the model of GFV. If they ever get around to building a totally new DVC resort - say revisiting Reflections - the Restrictions will be back. If they decide instead to find a way to add on to Bay Tower, it would go on the BLT resort with no restrictions. Again, just my opinion.

Holy smokes. Impressive for VGF2 out of the gate. I think if that holds for say the next 6 months or so, with it beating RIV handedly, you'll have your answer on poly2. At the pace its on, it could sellout in less than a year...? Crazy.

Except, they still sold over 90k at RIV. And the arrivals says only 47k of the VGF were new buyers. That to me isn’t a great number.

Sandi - I could not disagree with you more. By the time the new Poly is ready GFV will be sold out and they will still be actively selling RIV, It just does not make sense to add another resort with resale restrictions when they are struggling with an existing one. This does NOT mean the future will not include the restrictions, just that when they add on to existing Resort it will following the model of GFV. If they ever get around to building a totally new DVC resort - say revisiting Reflections - the Restrictions will be back. If they decide instead to find a way to add on to Bay Tower, it would go on the BLT resort with no restrictions. Again, just my opinion.

How can anyone say selling over 90k points a
Month is selling poorly? It is not.

No question that VGF did better but why did only 43k points go to new buyers? That means the bulk of VGF sales were add ons. I am not sure that number would be seen as a big success.

RIV was 30k more than last month. It may be slower than some think it should be but IMO, strong enough that resale restrictions didn’t tank sales when people had a different choice.

So, we shall see what happens in the next few months but if I am DVD, I think this tells them that good pricing can drive total sales and that restrictions alone aren’t the entire reason that RIV didn’t sell well the past year.

Is there a number available that states how many of Riv's sales in April were add-ons?

No, but average contract size was 186. Leads me to believe more were new than add ons.

VGF averaged contract size of around 150.

I couldn’t disagree with you more. Disney is not going to suddenly suspend resale restrictions for new construction for years until they build a totally new separate resort. It’s part of a long term strategy you can bet they’ll stick with. But they are indeed going to follow the money. Poly2 will be the first new construction on the monorail route for years, while VDH will be the first new construction at Disneyland for years. There’s going to be huge pent up demand, resale restrictions or not, and Disney will absolutely take maximum advantage. How? By making ownership available only by buying direct, in a new association.

If Disney did not go that route, after spending hundreds of millions of dollars constructing Poly2, they’d find themselves competing for buyers with the resale market. Why on earth would they do that? The strategy might be ok for a quick hotel wing flip that wouldn’t make sense as a new association, but not for new construction on a grand scale.

Otherwise, when Poly2 opens, buyers could just purchase cheaper Poly1 resale contracts, or even SSR for 7 month bookings, all to stay at the new tower, putting zero money in Disney’s pocket. So why do you regard that as “following the money?” Seems more like running away from the money.

And it would also alienate potential buyers (myself included), who like the modern aesthetic of Poly2 but don’t care at all for Poly1, and certainly wouldn’t want to compete with a zillion Poly1 owners who want to book the new accommodations.

I couldn’t disagree with you more. Disney is not going to suddenly suspend resale restrictions for new construction for years until they build a totally new separate resort. It’s part of a long term strategy you can bet they’ll stick with. But they are indeed going to follow the money. Poly2 will be the first new construction on the monorail route for years, while VDH will be the first new construction at Disneyland for years. There’s going to be huge pent up demand, resale restrictions or not, and Disney will absolutely take maximum advantage. How? By making ownership available only by buying direct, in a new association.

If Disney did not go that route, after spending hundreds of millions of dollars constructing Poly2, they’d find themselves competing for buyers with the resale market. Why on earth would they do that? The strategy might be ok for a quick hotel wing flip that wouldn’t make sense as a new association, but not for new construction on a grand scale.

Otherwise, when Poly2 opens, buyers could just purchase cheaper Poly1 resale contracts, or even SSR for 7 month bookings, all to stay at the new tower, putting zero money in Disney’s pocket. So why do you regard that as “following the money?” Seems more like running away from the money.

And it would also alienate potential buyers (myself included), who like the modern aesthetic of Poly2 but don’t care at all for Poly1, and certainly wouldn’t want to compete with a zillion Poly1 owners who want to book the new accommodations.
We can agree to disagree. Sandi's post indicates that RIV was not bad, but it is not good either. We will look at the numbers as they unfold. My opinion is they will not want 2 resorts selling at the same time with resale restrictions, and at the rate RIV is selling it will not be sold out when they start to market Poly Tower. As for you statement that there will not be another new construction on the Monorail route, I will again point out the land just to the North of the Floridian and to the west of the canal. The re routing of the roadway over there is just not a coincidence. My bet is a new DVC complex sometime in next 10 or so years. This will be new construction and if Disney continues on the path I have already stated, it will have their cherished resale restrictions.

RIV location is terrible IMO compared to VGF. I don’t think it’s necessarily a fair comparison to say that it is the resale restrictions holding down RIV sales. If anything they might want to have resale restrictions so that way it’s just the way it is with all properties for sale.

Also I find the argument that DIS wouldn’t sink all that money into a new tower that can be accessed at 11m with resale Poly points to be compelling. Talk about competing against yourself!

We can agree to disagree. Sandi's post indicates that RIV was not bad, but it is not good either. We will look at the numbers as they unfold. My opinion is they will not want 2 resorts selling at the same time with resale restrictions, and at the rate RIV is selling it will not be sold out when they start to market Poly Tower. As for you statement that there will not be another new construction on the Monorail route, I will again point out the land just to the North of the Floridian and to the west of the canal. The re routing of the roadway over there is just not a coincidence. My bet is a new DVC complex sometime in next 10 or so years. This will be new construction and if Disney continues on the path I have already stated, it will have their cherished resale restrictions.
Agreed about the strong possibility of a new DVC resort on the monorail route, though you’re right about it being years away. The thing is, if Riviera has the resale restrictions and Poly2 doesn’t, it would potentially drive more buyers toward the new Poly and severely undermine Riviera, which I don’t think Disney would do. Seems like they’d keep their strategy consistent to eliminate confusion in the marketplace as well. We’ll find out in a couple years!

If some don’t consider 93k good, then I can’t see how anyone can think 43k for VGF sales to new buyers is anything but a big fail for that target market?.

Last edited:
Resale Polynesian will most likely drop somewhat. It is still a really nice resort and excellent location. I don't see any chance of Poly Tower being part of the current association. This is going to be a brand-new resort. Resale restrictions are here to stay IMO. Totally disagree with Riviera being a terrible location. I feel that it is almost as good as BCV and BWV.

Resale Polynesian will most likely drop somewhat. It is still a really nice resort and excellent location. I don't see any chance of Poly Tower being part of the current association. This is going to be a brand-new resort. Resale restrictions are here to stay IMO. Totally disagree with Riviera being a terrible location. I feel that it is almost as good as BCV and BWV.
Only if the ability to walk to 2 parks isn't a priority to you. For our family reliance on the skyliner is a deal breaker. Then again we also walk between Poly and MK instead of waiting for the monorail.

Also isn’t Riviera cheaper than VGF for new buyers? All things equal that should push buyers to Riviera. That should be factored in when comparing how the two resorts are selling. For existing members I believe the two have more similar price points

Only if the ability to walk to 2 parks isn't a priority to you. For our family reliance on the skyliner is a deal breaker. Then again we also walk between Poly and MK instead of waiting for the monorail.
For me, the quality of Riviera surpasses both BCV and BWV and, though the Skyliner doesn’t surpass walking, for the most part it’s an effortless, easy, fun journey. And, as walkers ourselves, we love to take the skyliner to Epcot or Hollywood Studios, then walk to the other. Or walk around Crescent Lake before skylining back to the Riviera. The walk around Caribbean Beach is nice as well.

Also, those 2042 resorts are expiring in almost less than 20 years now.

For me, the quality of Riviera surpasses both BCV and BWV and, though the Skyliner doesn’t surpass walking, for the most part it’s an effortless, easy, fun journey.
I'm sitting here now in Topolino's and I think Riviera surpasses the quality of both Beach and Boardwalk. Agree completely. But I also think these boards aren't necessarily the market for RVA either. Haters gonna buy 2042 ;) :P

Last edited:
For me, the quality of Riviera surpasses both BCV and BWV and, though the Skyliner doesn’t surpass walking, for the most part it’s an effortless, easy, fun journey. And, as walkers ourselves, we love to take the skyliner to Epcot or Hollywood Studios, then walk to the other. Or walk around Crescent Lake before skylining back to the Riviera. The walk around Caribbean Beach is nice as well.

Also, those 2042 resorts are expiring in almost less than 20 years now.
I agree, we love the Skyliner. We stayed at Riviera when it first opened and experienced some of the shutdowns, mostly lightning. They had busses running right away. We were there this weekend and the Skyliner was so nice riding from Epcot to HS. Beautiful breeze, very relaxing.

I'm sitting here now in Topolino's and I think Riviera surpasses the quality of both Beach and Boardwalk. Agree completely.
Love Riviera, we just recently bought a small contract. Need that 11-month booking!
ETA, we own 3 resorts now. VGF, CCV and Riviera. CCV has moved to my favorite, VGF is now 2nd, Riviera is a very close 3rd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter