Why is DLR so much more expensive than WDW?

Then last September we stayed 4 nights at PPH and 2 at HoJo. As I've stated too many times here, we walked in the too-long route from PP, and ended up going ALL the way through DTD. We felt that was awful, and I can't imagine doing the walk from DLH in. Going through DTD put us into a commerce state of mind, not a fun-happy-joy state of mind. But I also don't like coming in right to Tomorrowland (must have the entrance gates!) so skipping DTD and just going on the monorail wasn't a good option for us either.

When we moved to HoJo, we came in what I feel is the "proper" way, from the Harbor entrance, to the security check area, and instead of being surrounded by shoppers, we were surrounded by fellow DL/DCA goers, and it was so much more fun! We felt "into" Disney from as soon as we saw other people walking down Harbor, and going into the parks from that direction was so much better.

I disagree! I love walking through DTD, that feels like the "proper" Disney entrance. DTD is fabulous and feels totally Disney to me. I love having a DTD view from the Grand Californian I feel like I never leave Disney that way.

The Harbor walk just feels wrong, seeing all the closed and shut up buildings in the area and how run down everything is. I'd just rather stay in the Disney bubble!

You just don't get this view in very many places:

DSC_0294.jpg

Oh man, that's so beautiful!! We've only done one cruise (with Royal Caribbean, and we LOVED it), but we can't wait to take our DD (and future kids) on a cruise for the first time, that will definitely have to be with DCL. It looks awesome!

Yes. Most recently last August and last November. Sadly I will probably not be making another trip until this November. We stay within a 10 minute walk to the parks.
OK, that clarifies. I wasn't sure from your posts.

If you feel WDW is more immersive (I think that is what you said many posts ago) then that is fine. Most people do. I have agreed with that but added that for me personally I felt that within WDW immersion I felt a barrier that I do not feel at DLR. That does not mean it was a huge negative, it was just there. At DLR I always feel like I am practically in the parks the entire time I am there.

I also agree that the WDW/DLR experiences are different and it is tricky to make comparisons. Now that I know my way around WDW to some degree I am looking forward to a second trip and being able to "experience" it more as opposed to the last trip where a lot of time was devoted just to finding our way around.

The Harbor walk just feels wrong, seeing all the closed and shut up buildings in the area and how run down everything is. I'd just rather stay in the Disney bubble!

What is closed and shut up? All I see are hotels! And happy people on their way to that big ol' sign. And CMs going to and getting off work, and I always smile to them.

I think you must like shopping more than I do, b/c DTD just bugs me mainly. Especially with my 3 year old who drove us batty every morning and evening with the "I want its". :) We took to practically putting a blackout blanket over him as we passed the Lego store, LOL.

Wow. I didn't mean to start a debate. I just wanted to find a way to spend a couple days at DL without paying a King's ransom since this trip is just a little extra before we head to Hawaii on our cruise. Thank you to everyone for all the great tips:goodvibes . As much as I love WDW, Disneyland is where the magic began for me and I can't wait to experience it again, this time with my girls. :lovestruc

I would love to stay at the DLH or GC but then we'd have to nix Hawaii. We don't mind staying in economical places (as long as they are clean) if it means we can do more. The last couple of years because we stayed in values at WDW we also got to go on DCL cruises. Which is an experience I also highly recommend--going on a DCL cruise. All the magic of Disney is there but at a more relaxed pace. If you have kids you'll appreciate the cruise even more because you'll get some alone time because the kids clubs are amazing--they really don't want to be with you. Picture this--lying on a beach with crystal clear blue water slipping a pina coloda just after you've hugged Mickey Mouse--it's a pretty great way to vacation.:beach:

I was not aware of the price difference being that way. I'm glad I know now! I've always just assumed WDW would be more expensive. I have not been there as an adult, so I wouldn't know. This is interesting information though.

Of course we save a lot by driving (we live in NM) but maybe the cost of flights for my family would even it out to where it wouldn't cost much more. I may look into DW for our vacation this fall. We will have a new baby by then, so driving may not be the better bet anyway.

You're right, it's cheaper to stay at value or moderate resort in WDW for 2 days than it is to stay at a deluxe resort at DLR for 2 days. I think that what was indicated by the OP & is all that one could definitively take as fact.

For your possible trip, DLR may or may not be less expensive than WDW...it would depend...on alot of variables.

What is closed and shut up? All I see are hotels! And happy people on their way to that big ol' sign. And CMs going to and getting off work, and I always smile to them.

I think you must like shopping more than I do, b/c DTD just bugs me mainly. Especially with my 3 year old who drove us batty every morning and evening with the "I want its". :) We took to practically putting a blackout blanket over him as we passed the Lego store, LOL.

My experience staying at the Fairfield was identical to bumbershoot. What on earth is "closed & shut up"??

However, if i can score an AP rate at a DLR hotel, then i prefer to stay at one so:

- I can enjoy EE/MM multiple days.
- I can walk & eat (not shop ;) thru DTD.
- I can easily sneak thru the supersecret entrance into DCA from GCH.
- I'm a tiny bit more "immersed".

If i can't score a room for under $200 though, I'm happy to stay on Harbor & walk 5-7 min. to the gates & DTD. & will be immersed.

I just remember driving past old restaurants board up, empty lots with weeds in them, everything looking grungy.

We didn't shop much in DTD at all I just really like the atmosphere of it.

The only store we actually shopped in was World of Disney and that was on our last day. The rest of the time we just strolled through there. I thought it looked magical at night.

OK, that clarifies. I wasn't sure from your posts.

If you feel WDW is more immersive (I think that is what you said many posts ago) then that is fine. Most people do. I have agreed with that but added that for me personally I felt that within WDW immersion I felt a barrier that I do not feel at DLR. That does not mean it was a huge negative, it was just there. At DLR I always feel like I am practically in the parks the entire time I am there.

I also agree that the WDW/DLR experiences are different and it is tricky to make comparisons. Now that I know my way around WDW to some degree I am looking forward to a second trip and being able to "experience" it more as opposed to the last trip where a lot of time was devoted just to finding our way around.

Yeah...I'd like to head about to WDW sometime in the near future. I found myself thinking, "Disneyland has a much better layout." But then I realized I probably think that beacuse I've been to Disneyland hundreds of times so I know my way around that park really well. It felt more comfortable and whatnot. I could look at a line and know how long it would take. I knew the best route to get everywhere. I couldn't do any of that at WDW. We were finally getting the hang of everything when it was time to leave...haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter