Why is Disney's biscuits & gravy so disgusting?

WOW, I must be the manority beause I love Disney's Biscuits and gravy.:love:
I always look forward to getting it for breakfast everytime I go.
It tastes way better then any biscuits and gravy I can get from around here
including Wawa and Bob Evans.

Hey, New Jersey is not a southern state. Come to Texas and try some REAL homemade biscuits and gravy. Try some chicken fried steak covered in gravy:cloud9: while you're at it. Maybe a little hot peach cobbler with homemade ice cream, on the side. You'll see what everyone else is talking about. Hey, I just wished WDW could make some REAL sweet tea.

OT: Hey, the last time I was in your state, I ordered breakfast one morning and they brought out those little sausage link thingys. I turned green and asked if they had real sausage (like in patties). Once I tried ya'lls sausage though they were pretty good. Different, but good.

I have tried the biscuit and gravy at WDW and I am not wild about it, but my husband does not mind it, but keep in mind we are from Boston where we know nothing about GOOD biscuit and gravy..

I go to the place in VA.......when I am visiting there, and have the best fried chicken, hushpuppies and sweet tea, and I have to say I must be Southern at heart because I just love their cooking, collard greens, fried gizzards, bring it on, I love it. ......Lately I have been thinking about fried green tomatoes....like I can get those on Cape Cod.. I am going to have to find me a little breakfast place when I am in VA and see what their biscuits and gravy taste like so I have a basis of comparison.

Sign me born and bred in MA, but LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Southern Cooking. I would never dis biscuits and gravy or any good Southern Cooking....we love it all.

I grew up in Texas as well and I think the B&G at WDW is an atrocity! I was so excited when I saw that had it at the Pepper Market for breakfast. Luckily it wasn't very expensive because it only took one bite to turn me off.

I live in Wisconsin now and they are pretty good about B&G up here...I think there are enough southern transplants that the locals have learned a thing or two :)

I am not denying that WDW B&G is bad. Nor am I denying that Florida is not your typical "Southern State". But you need to realize that WDW food is not the only food in Florida.

In a state of tourists and chain restaurants, there are still hidden gems of excellent food. You just have to be brave enough to leave the embrace of the Mouse.

Maybe a little hot peach cobbler with homemade ice cream, on the side.

What, are you from Georgia girl?! Don't you mean Pecan Pie (i.e. Pu-cahn)?! Gotta support the state tree after all. Well, I guess you can do cobbler, but at least stick with blackberry...unless you're from around Fredericksburg way, then I guess it can be forgiven. And with Bluebell ice cream, natch. :rotfl:

If someone just had to try a chain restaurants biscuit and gravy, I would have to send them to Cracker Barrel. Homemade is always best, but if you have to go out for them, they're pretty good.

"Sho' do make a man feel happy
to see white gravy on the side"
--Guy Clark, "Texas Cookin'" 1976

Ewwwwww! For me the thought of eating biscuits and gravy together is not pleasant. Where I am from in the North East, making a pot of gravy means a nice homemade pot of spaghetti sauce. :love:

Ewwwwww! For me the thought of eating biscuits and gravy together is not pleasant. Where I am from in the North East, making a pot of gravy means a nice homemade pot of spaghetti sauce. :love:

See, this is the problem. Somebody from your neck of the woods is in charge of the biscuits & gravy down there.

By the way, a pp said Cracker Barrell was the best commercial biscuits & gravy, and I concur!

omg!

I thought the same thing and wondered why anyone would take gravy that has simmered all day and serve it with biscuits!

Then I started reading about this milk/cream gravy and thought.. yuck!

I've seen biscuits n gravy on the local Cracker Barrel menu but have never ordered it.

Deb
another jersey girl who knows that "gravy" is red and made with tomatoes, olive oil, garlic.. ect.. ect..

What, are you from Georgia girl?! Don't you mean Pecan Pie (i.e. Pu-cahn)?! Gotta support the state tree after all. Well, I guess you can do cobbler, but at least stick with blackberry...unless you're from around Fredericksburg way, then I guess it can be forgiven. And with Bluebell ice cream, natch. :rotfl:

If someone just had to try a chain restaurants biscuit and gravy, I would have to send them to Cracker Barrel. Homemade is always best, but if you have to go out for them, they're pretty good.

Yep, Cracker Barrel has some decent biscuits and gravy. I had some at a Cracker Barrel in Naples, Florida, so it can be done in the Sunshine State!

And I do love Bluebell ice cream is the best! Too bad I have to go home to Texas to get some!

another jersey girl who knows that "gravy" is red and made with tomatoes, olive oil, garlic.. ect.. ect..

So, your version of gravy is basically the same as what we call spaghetti sauce? That makes more sense to me now. I was pretty grossed out for a minute thinking of spaghetti noodles covered with our version of gravy. :eek:

omg!

I thought the same thing and wondered why anyone would take gravy that has simmered all day and serve it with biscuits!

Deb

Actually, the milk/cream gravy is essentially a bechamel sauce, which you have most likely eaten in some form, just maye not on biscuits. It's often the base of pot pies, mac n' cheese (just with cheese added), creamed vegetables, and many other dishes. When you think of it, biscuits and gravy is very much like pot pie, just without the veggies and/or meat. So, it's actually not a weird combination at all.

You know, I was going to post the same thing. Florida is really a northern state that ran away and found some sunshine :rotfl:

It has to be a powered concoction because the country gravy we had in our college cafeteria (which I might add, was voted college with the worst food, one year) had the same paste!

Central florida might have it wrong but I promise you that Northwest florida has some of the best southern cookoing that you can get!pirate:

omg!

I've seen biscuits n gravy on the local Cracker Barrel menu but have never ordered it.

Deb

Yep! Another South Jersey vote that gravy is a nice red pasta sauce.

I love biscuits and gravy, but I won't even touch the stuff that WDW serves. It looks disgusting, tastes disgusting, and makes you sick. I seriously got a stomach ache from it in 2004. :(

Love the Guy Clark quote.

In addition to Cracker Barrel, Village Inn makes a mean biscuit and gravy, with a side of crispy hash browns. It's not a big chain -most of their locations are in Florida or the midwest/west.

I've never eaten Biscuits and Gravy in my life (I'm 44). Guess I shouldn't try it at Disney?

Spaghettis sauce vs. gravy is always a discussion here in the Northeast and depending on what your Mom called it and where you are from, you either call it gravy or sauce.. we call it sauce...

OK.. now do not hate me here, but I went to cracker barrel and my husband ordered biscuits and gravy and we thought it was just ok.. I tasted it. I guess I will have to find a place that serves an authentic Southern breakfast on one of my trips....so far I have not found that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter