Why is adding on direct so popluar lately?

no idea i went on BCV back in feb and i went on VWL in march and got it in 2 weeks....so i know BCV has more demand due to the ability of booking the value rooms 11 months out.

no idea i went on BCV back in feb and i went on VWL in march and got it in 2 weeks....so i know BCV has more demand due to the ability of booking the value rooms 11 months out.

BCV has no value rooms. Perhaps you mean BWV standard view, which are a bargain & are snapped up by owners well before 7 month window opens in most cases.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

For a 50 point add on at SSR it was my choice to go direct and avoid the hassle and uncertainty of going resale. I did the math and still preferred to buy direct. We enjoy SSR and have been able to use our points at several other DVC resorts as well including BWV, AKL, VWL, and OKW. Not really interested in BLT (too much glass and concrete for us). Would like to try BCV sometime in the future, but we're very satisfied.

I think more and more people just don't understand math. :confused3

Not necessarily. Say I want and only need 50 points. I buy direct at $115--total purchase is just under $6000. I go to the resale market and wait, but can't find that size contract and am forced to buy a larger contract, say 100. Given the price difference though, It still costs that same $6000.

But, now I have double the yearly fees for points I really don't want and or need...so, in the long run, that resale purchase as a whole costs me more than buying direct. Yes, I know I could always rent the extra points or transfer them, but that is work. Going direct costs me the same initial output and less cost down the road.

Thats why i just dont think its just as cut and dry as buy in cost. And, with the $115 direct price for those older resorts, now was the time to make it work for smaller point add ons.

Were thinking of adding on,But our Guide said the Price offered now, is only good until Oct 4,2013.
I wounder what's going to happen after Oct 4??.
Do you think that's when the GF becomes available?? and they want to push those points to make it seems like the other resorts are less expensive.

tigger2ntinkerbell

Not necessarily. Say I want and only need 50 points. I buy direct at $115--total purchase is just under $6000. I go to the resale market and wait, but can't find that size contract and am forced to buy a larger contract, say 100. Given the price difference though, It still costs that same $6000.

But, now I have double the yearly fees for points I really don't want and or need...so, in the long run, that resale purchase as a whole costs me more than buying direct. Yes, I know I could always rent the extra points or transfer them, but that is work. Going direct costs me the same initial output and less cost down the road.

Thats why i just dont think its just as cut and dry as buy in cost. And, with the $115 direct price for those older resorts, now was the time to make it work for smaller point add ons.
Very good point... too large an initial purchase, forced by availability, costs so much more in the long run. The right amount of points hss been more important to us than initial cost output.

Were thinking of adding on,But our Guide said the Price offered now, is only good until Oct 4,2013.
I wounder what's going to happen after Oct 4??.
Do you think that's when the GF becomes available?? and they want to push those points to make it seems like the other resorts are less expensive.

tigger2ntinkerbell

Seriously? $130pp only good until Oct 4? Not surprised.

This whole thing has worked so well for them they'd be pretty stupid to not try it again when VGF goes on-line. Have the guides spread more rumors about restricting resale points.......they are evil geniuses.

Here is why I just got an email blast for a 50 vwl resale 78 a point and no points to 2014. So closing costs for this is 450. So I just bought a 30 point direct for 102 a point 3100 all in and I got 2012 and 2013 points not sure what the value would be for them. So you all can compare. 4450 resale no points to 2014 for 50 points. My deal was 30 points all 12 and 13 points for 3100. I don't feel there is much of a difference.

I'm currently wait listed for HHI direct.

I own 4 contracts there already ( two direct and two resale) and they're all June UY. We take a large family group every summer so we need to be able to easily blend the contracts and the June UY works well for when we travel.

I actually bid on a larger than I wanted resale recently but it was ROFR'd. It did not have all the '12 points.

So, I can go direct at $80 per point. Or I could buy resale ( which is currently passing about $50) wait for the right UY to come along and the right size, wait for a loaded with 2012 (or deduct $10 pp right there) and pay the inflated HHI closing costs through an attorney in SC.

Money wise, it's just not enough of a difference.

Here is why I just got an email blast for a 50 vwl resale 78 a point and no points to 2014. So closing costs for this is 450. So I just bought a 30 point direct for 102 a point 3100 all in and I got 2012 and 2013 points not sure what the value would be for them. So you all can compare. 4450 resale no points to 2014 for 50 points. My deal was 30 points all 12 and 13 points for 3100. I don't feel there is much of a difference.

If you even valued the direct points at $10 each, it'd bring your cost to $82...given that, direct would be on par with the resale one!!

I actually just bought that contract I know no points but no dues till 2014. I also figure the $800 I saved over old direct prices and $2050 on new prices I could buy 2-5 annual passes or plane tickets and so on.

If you even valued the direct points at $10 each, it'd bring your cost to $82...given that, direct would be on par with the resale one!!

Also you need to take off the 400 in closing you save 300 from Disney so it makes it even closer.

I actually just bought that contract I know no points but no dues till 2014. I also figure the $800 I saved over old direct prices and $2050 on new prices I could buy 2-5 annual passes or plane tickets and so on.

Congrats on the purchase i was only trying to point out on contract less then 50 points the savings does not always makes sense

Congrats on the purchase i was only trying to point out on contract less then 50 points the savings does not always makes sense

Yeah prior wasn't to bad on contracts under fifty but prices now are just crazy.

I put myself on the direct waitlist for HHI for 60 points at $80 a point. I have purchased all my points direct even though I know of resale. I had planned on buying HHI resale, and may in the future, but for now I am please with the price I will be paying once my waitlist is fulfilled.

I put myself on the direct waitlist for HHI for 60 points at $80 a point. I have purchased all my points direct even though I know of resale. I had planned on buying HHI resale, and may in the future, but for now I am please with the price I will be paying once my waitlist is fulfilled.

:thumbsup2 us too

dwight16 said:

In my opinion this is an awful comparison. You've chosen to take the most overpriced, stripped VWL contract that the market has seen in the past year and use that as a basis for comparison. It would be a more honest comparison if you took several data points and not just one overpriced contract in order to justify your purchase. The numbers might still play out, and it would be a more meaningful analysis.

In my opinion this is an awful comparison. You've chosen to take the most overpriced, stripped VWL contract that the market has seen in the past year and use that as a basis for comparison. It would be a more honest comparison if you took several data points and not just one overpriced contract in order to justify your purchase. The numbers might still play out, and it would be a more meaningful analysis.

yes if you were making a statistical comparison over the last 5 years of course but none of that matters its all about current markets and current prices. i have been on the email list for all contracts under 50 points for the last 3 months at one of the 3 big DVC sellers and this was the first contract offered in the last month. Markets dictate price and what you think does not matter when the free market is setting its price. the new price for a classic resort for 50 points or smaller is 78 a point. the is the last sale and how others will be valued going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter