Why does website not allow bookings for OKW in July 2022?

ngl

DIS Veteran
We are DVC but friends are not and looking to stay at OKW when we do in late July. Plenty of DVC availability but when we both have tried to book online (not DVC but regular Disney sites) it states there is nothing available. Been DVC for 10+ yrs so never tried to book regular rooms so not sure if there is an issue with booking reg rooms at DVC properties? or maybe a refurbishment schedule? (We would book with our points for them if we could but do not have enough for what they are looking for - several rooms). Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I would just keep checking or consider renting through a reputable DVC rental company. You could also look through the DVC rental thread on these boards.

We are DVC but friends are not and looking to stay at OKW when we do in late July. Plenty of DVC availability but when we both have tried to book online (not DVC but regular Disney sites) it states there is nothing available. Been DVC for 10+ yrs so never tried to book regular rooms so not sure if there is an issue with booking reg rooms at DVC properties? or maybe a refurbishment schedule? (We would book with our points for them if we could but do not have enough for what they are looking for - several rooms). Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Is the breakage period for DVC 3 months or 6? There may not be any rooms released for cash this far out, depending on when the dates fall. @Sandisw, or @KAT4DISNEY would know.

Reactions: ngl
Breakage is 60 days.

Units you see before 60 days are "booked" with points owned/controlled by Disney, and placed into the cash reservations system. Disney typically own 2-5% of a resort. So it's not wildly unusual for villas to not be available. Add in that Disney often make their available OKW units bookable for packages for the UK, rather than via the normal cash booking system, and it can be difficult to book on cash.

Points inventory and cash inventory are entirely separate.

Breakage is 60 days.

Units you see before 60 days are "booked" with points owned/controlled by Disney, and placed into the cash reservations system. Disney typically own 2-5% of a resort. So it's not wildly unusual for villas to not be available. Add in that Disney often make their available OKW units bookable for packages for the UK, rather than via the normal cash booking system, and it can be difficult to book on cash.

Points inventory and cash inventory are entirely separate.
Right, I knew there was a reason that cash rooms at an all-DVC resort might not be available to book (even if they are technically "available", as in not assigned to a guest reservation).

Points rooms and cash rooms are different inventory. Cash rooms show up from Disney’s owned points, from trades owners make, and from breakage.

While breakage is 60 days, DVC can anticipate it and actually pull rooms ahead of the 60 days, so they can show up for a cash stay farther out from that.

Given the extra points in the system, DVC may not be pulling things early and thus why nothing is there for cash as there is no way of knowing exactly why those cash rooms are available.

The only thing you can do is keep an eye on it, or have your friends to a rental from another DVC owner who will then be able to book what you see on the DVC side. Though they have to be comfortable with that as the cancelation policies are much different.

I did take a look, and I can get 14 nights at OKW in July or August... as a UK resident booking.

(I used a VPN and routed my connection via the London office of my company.)

Reactions: ngl

Thanks all - great information! I never knew about the breakage. Much appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter