Why do you need so many more points to stay at WLV?

We have only stayed at OKW for one night 2 different times. We used OKW busses on one of them. I found them to be the same as all other Disney World busses. That said, there are some problems with WDW busses. During the day they put WL/VWL, Poly and Grand Floridian busses on the same route. That causes 2 problem IMHO. One is the busses get overcrowded and they take longer than they should to get to and from the parks. I have heard they do the same thing with the busses for the BW/BWV, YC, BC/BCV. Until we joined DVC last year we were usually All Star resort guests. I was use to busses being crowded, I expected that. But the busses were for All Stars only. At peak times the busses would be for one resort and other times all 3 All Stars. If you plan plenty of time to move about no matter where you stay you should be fine. Others like driving to or renting cars and drive to the parks and/or other resorts for meals. When I go I am on vacation and do not want to drive every where. That is me. When my likds were young you almost always had to stay off property because of cost. I remember the drive from a full day at the parks as a zombie with other zombies and the family alseep in the car. No thank you anymore. Have a great, magical and safe vacation.

Yes, the Poly., WL, GF bus problem was one of the big reasons I elected not to stay at WLV. I can't agree with you more about driving while on vacation, I drive enough as it is. OKW seems to have their own buses, so as long as our service is at least as good as it was on our last two trips I think we'll be fine.
Thanks!:)

Originally posted by wdwsos
I've even found the Epcot and MGM buses to be faster than taking the boat from the Epcot resorts.

No surprise here. Walking there backwards is faster than the Epcot boat!

We had a lot of discussions when the WLV points came out. The points should have been about half way in between BWV preferred and OKW. To be the same as BWV preferred has the effect of making it more expensive than BW. While many prefer WL, more do not. BW and BC are more upscale hotels and more expensive for rooms for both DVC and CRO reservations.

I was told the reason was simply construction costs, read that "to increase profits". It's their call, just like a restaurant can set their own prices.

Originally posted by Dean
...While many prefer WL, more do not. BW and BC are more upscale hotels...
Dean, I respect your opinion, but I do not agree with you on this. I am curious why you think BW and BC are more upscale than WL?

Maistre Gracey,

I think that what Dean was referring to is that while WL, BWI, & Y&BC are all considered Deluxe Resorts, based on the room rates set by the Disney CRO, the stardard rooms at the WL are much less per night than at BWI and the Y&BC.

From mousesavers.com, just for comparsion sake:

Wilderness Lodge: Value Regular Peak Holiday
Standard View $194 $229 $274 $309
Woods View $214 $244 $289 $329
Courtyard View $245 $280 $330 $370
Concierge $340 $375 $425 $460
Honeymoon $390 $405 $440 $475

Boardwalk Inn: Value Regular Peak Holiday
Standard View $289 $319 $379 $434
Water View $350 $395 $460 $510
Concierge $415 $475 $535 $590
Concierge Deluxe* $500 $550 $595 $650
Garden Suite** $535 $590 $655 $770

Yacht & Beach Club Resort: Value Regular Peak Holiday
Standard View $289 $319 $379 $434
Sico Room*
(sleeps 2) $289 $319 $379 $434
Water/Pool View $335 $380 $440 $495
Deluxe**
(Beach Club only) $445 $495 $560 $620
Concierge Garden View
(Yacht Club only) $415 $470 $535 $595
Concierge Water View
(Yacht Club only) $460 $515 $580 $640

The difference when using discount codes is less, around $60 less per night at WL.
Value Season:
Wilderness Lodge - $119 standard, $139 courtyard view
Boardwalk - $179 standard
Beach Club/Yacht Club - $179 standard, $209 water view

I think part of the "upscale" premium charged by Disney is due to the premium charged for location, namely proximity to Epcot/MGM.

But as we all have learned, what Disney charges for cash ressies does not seem to correlate to the point structure.

All the DVC Resorts are beautiful and offer diiferent themes/locations to different people at different times. I'm glad we have so many diverse choices. If all of them were the same, what would be the point and fun of "trading" to another DVC resort to try it out at all?

Sleepyat DVC referred to part of my thinking. The differences for the Villas at WL is less than for the regular rooms but still present when compared to the rack rates of the other resorts. Let me say that I'm more comfortable at WL as a hotel than at BC, BW or GF and prefer it "for the price". I think we can all agree that GF is a more upscale resort than WL so I'll use it to illustrate my point. I still like WL better but feel it should be less money than GF. I would put BC and BW in between WL and GF in terms of a deluxe rating. DVC did too in that the WL was in the same class as the Cont wing rooms and below the Poly, BC/YC, Cont Tower and GF on the older Disney Collection trade lists.

The fact that a certain group of people, myself included, prefer WL does not change the overall rating of a resort. BTW, the last Unofficial Guide I have has them rated the way I quote as well. This is not meant to be and should not be taken as a slam against the resort, it's just an honest interpretation of where WL falls in the overall scheme of things at WDW.

DVC did too in that the WL was in the same class as the Cont wing rooms

DVC used to rank the Disney Collection as:

Luxury: GF
Premium: Y&B, Contemp Tower & Poly
First Class -- Contemp Wings, WL and Wilderness Homes
Moderate -- CBR, CSR, DX, PO

In Paris, the Hotel NY was ranked First Class and the Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay Club as Premium.

The WL rooms are smaller than the other Deluxe hotel rooms. However, the WLV rooms are comparable in size to the other DVC resorts. Since the cost to build was probably comparable then it makes sense for the point prices to be the same.

Originally posted by PamOKW
Since the cost to build was probably comparable then it makes sense for the point prices to be the same.
Maybe from a construction cost standpoint but not from a value standpoint IMO.

I understand that people will pay for location, (although personally I don't care as much for the Boardwalk area), and overall the BC, YC, and BW have a very popular location. Because of this, I can see why those hotels can charge more, thus demand a higher point value for The Disney Collection.

Dean, if what you are saying is that those hotels seem more "stuffy", then I agree (no offense to the folks who enjoy those fine resorts). I enjoy the more "fun" theme of WL/VWL than the more "sophisticated" theme of BW/BWV/YC/BC/BCV.

Perhaps I took what you were saying incorrectly. I know that you are aware that all of these hotels are deluxe resorts, all with near identical amenities.

On a side note:
JMO, but for anyone that has never seen the WL/VWL (I'm sure this doesn't apply to anyone here) must see this resort, as there is really no way words can describe the grandeur and beauty of the WL/VWL.

I think the physical plant of WL -- lobby, pool, restaurant are at the deluxe level. In fact, the lobby of WL reminds me very much of the GF lobby, just with a very different decor. The guest room size would be the stumbling block to calling it equal to Y&B. IMHO, the villas are equal to those of BCV and BWV. The decor does not particularly appeal to me but I don't think they are lacking in anything except walking proximity to a park.

According to AAA ratings, the GF,BWV are 4 stars rating, and the WL, and almost all other resorts at WDW are 3 star ratings. This backs up what Dean said. Maybe that is the reason the price difference, etc. I have stayed at WL, not the WLV, but they are VERY nice, as any Disney property. There is nothing to compare the Disney properties in general to outside of Disney, IMHO. MAYBE the Hard Rock Hotel which I stayed in April, but these are few and far between in Orlando, Go to International Drive and see what I mean.... Exception is the Peabody, but never seen it inside, only outside.
deerh

Originally posted by PamOKW
...The guest room size would be the stumbling block to calling it equal to Y&B...
Pam, I agree the WL rooms are very small, and this may well be the stumbling block. They do offer a deluxe room that supposedly is much larger. I have never stayed at YC/BC to compare room sizes.

EDIT: deerh, just out of curiosity...was The Poly ranked as a 3 star? I just want to know what to expect when they anounce "The Polynesian Villas"!!! :cool:

As long as we're on the subject of high point costs...

How come the big difference in point costs between a studio and a 1BR ?

If you pay cash at most of the DVC resorts, a 1BR costs about 40% more than a studio.

If you pay points, it's double.

Seems kind of messed up to me.

I agree, they should raise the studio points to get them in line with the difference in cash prices.

EDIT: deerh, just out of curiosity...was The Poly ranked as a 3 star? I just want to know what to expect when they anounce "The Polynesian Villas"!!!

The Poly is a 3 star resort according to AAA ratings. FYI, Vero Beach and HHI are also 3 star resorts according to AAA. Just FYI...
deerh

AAA diamond awards IMHO tend be based on lists of amenities and features rather than a critical evaluation. But that still doesn't explain Polynesian being 3 diamonds along with every Hampton Inn and Courtyard in the country. I suspect they're just being a little snotty.

I agree ranking the Poly the same as the chains of Hampton Inns etc is ridiculous! The Poly is a true resort that has tons of atmosphere and beautiful grounds and pathways. Walking around the resort at night and watching the electrical water parade and MK fireworks from the Poly beach is some of Disney magic at it's best!! Hampton Inns & Courtyard hotels are often just large structures with 1 rest, 1 bar, a swimming pool and rooms and are often located close to strip malls, and right on highways with very little outdoor grounds and null atmosphere. To rank them the same is very inaccurate, I don't care what AAA says!

If The Polynesian is ranked equal the The Hampton Inn, then it's obvious that the AAA ratings have absolutely zero credibility.

EDIT: DeeP, I have yet to see a Hampton Inn with either a bar or a restaurant (perhaps a Courtyard though).

We stay in a Hampton Inn when we go outlet shopping in Rehoboth, Delaware and they have a restaurant/lounge combination attached to the building so I am assuming it belongs to them???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!