Why do you need so many more points to stay at WLV?

KJal1

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I was wondering why it costs so many more points to stay in a 2-br. at WLV than at OKW or even BWV. It's going to cost us 170 points as opossed to 135 for OKW (Sunday through Friday, in May). Why is that? Is it the proximity to MK??
Just curious
:rolleyes:

The points needed for VWL are the same as are required for the BCV and the BWV preferred. Most of the rooms (more than 80%)at BWV are preferred. If you are planning to rent a standard view room, be sure to find a BWV owner to make the ressie for you at the 11 month window. Standard view rooms tend to book very quickly.

I really don't know why Disney increased the point requirements for the WDW resorts built after OKW. Probably because they could! :D .

The standard views at BWV are something of an aberration. From what I've read, there were so many complaints about the "parking lot/entrance views" early on in the selling process that Disney established the two tier system. I'm kind of glad they did as we actually prefer the standard view to most of the preferred views. I doubt they will ever do something like this again - it's more difficult (costly) to manage a two tier system than a one tier system.

Enjoy your trip!

I think the real reason is straight economics. BWV, WLV, and BCV were done quite awhile after the first DVC units in OKW. I think economics is what made them change the points schedule and also made them go to the more hotel type settings because they are less expensive to build and maintain.

A someone else has said, VWL rooms are 25% smaller than OKW and the points are 25% more. The taxes are 25% more too. You can not fit more than 1 1/2 persons in the kitchen and no more than three can eat at once. Why stay any where but OKW?

Diane, I agree that Economics play a large part in the point disparity. It's all about supply and demand.

But, I'm not so sure that your statement about the 'hotel type setting' is correct. If it is, then why are all of the budget and moderates 'motel type' while all of the deluxe hotels are 'hotel type'? :confused:

I don't actually know about relative building costs, but this struck me funny.

:earsboy: M.E.

I was curious because I've read complaints about WLV (transportation and smaller room size) but I really wanted to stay there. But OKW looks huge in comparison and you need much less points. I don't think we'll be staying at BWV though because I've found more people with points for the others, and it seems that everyone wants a BWV. I think we'll probably end up at WLV, will it truly accomodate 4 adults and 1 child (8) though? Now I'm worried that we'll be cramped if you can only fit 3 people in the dining area at one time. Not that I'm expecting a house, just a little more than 2 regular hotel type rooms. We're staying at the Poly for 2 nights already!! :D

Nuthut,

Personally, I agree that OKW gives you the most space for the least $$$. I love OKW.

But preference in a DVC resort is a SUBJECTIVE thing. So, the value & beauty of OKW may not appeal to all. Location and convenience come at a premium and some people are willing to pay more for it even though they also get less space.

I would love to live in Manhattan. But my 4 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in the Bronx would cost what? $5-6K/month in the city? A one bedroom is around $3K/month!!! :eek: So, DH commutes by train to work in Midtown every day. As DH points out to me almost daily, if we moved elsewhere in the country (TX, FL, etc.), we could buy a 5 bedroom/3 bath house with a pool for under $350K. Meanwhile, in the Tri-state area, that type of house would be closer to $1 mil. Ahhh, the guilt for wanting to be close to MY parents... :rolleyes:

Sorry for rambling... where was I? Oh yeah, each DVC resort is different. And they are advantages & disadvantages to all of them. Each member has to decide what they consider the most important to them. That's what's so great about the program. For many people, less space and "25%" more maintenance is a fair trade-off for location and entertainment convenience. For others, the spaciousness, beauty, and parking convenience of OKW is supplemented by lower dues!!! ;)

As long as everyone is happy with his/her PREFERENCE, then to each his own...

Originally posted by KJal1
...(snip)..I think we'll probably end up at WLV, will it truly accomodate 4 adults and 1 child (8) though? Now I'm worried that we'll be cramped if you can only fit 3 people in the dining area at one time. Not that I'm expecting a house, just a little more than 2 regular hotel type rooms. We're staying at the Poly for 2 nights already!! :D

While it is true that the OKW units are larger, your party of 5 will fit in the VWL 2 bedroom just fine. Don't worry. We fit 5 adults around the table at BWV (same size units as VWL) without a problem. Just brought in one of the balcony chairs. You'd have to do that at OKW as well - there are only 4 dining chairs in all of the 1 & 2 bedroom DVC units.

The good news is that both OKW and VWL are beautiful resorts and you will be impressed and have a good time no matter which you choose. Stay at the one that interests you the most and try not to second guess yourself after the ressie is made!

Just for the record the only unit at OKW that is substanially larger than the other DVC resorts is the 1 BR. The studio and the GV is only very slightly larger no where near 25% larger!
The dues are not 25% higher at the other DVC resorts vs OKW either, for dues difference between OKW and BWV it is a difference of $0.20 more per point which is $60.00 more per year for a 300 pt contract. This is the present rate, OKW or BWV dues could go up or down making the difference even less or more.

The 25% larger, 25% lower yada yada line was a figment of someone's imagination that got posted over and over and over etc, but it is not true.

5 people will fit very nicely in a 2 br in VWL and if the kitchen only fits 1 1/2 people then who ever said that must be talking about VERY large people because this is also not true. VWL is a beautiful resort in a wonderful location, I am sure you will have a wonderful trip.

Not everything you read on these boards is always 100% the truth.

However, I think this is making my decision even harder. They both look like beautiful resorts. I'll be making my decision within the next day, hopefully! And I will NOT second guess it(who am I kidding, of course I will). And anyway there's always the next trip, right???;)

Hmmmm.

The dues are not 25% higher at the other DVC resorts vs OKW either, for dues difference between OKW and BWV it is a difference of $0.20 more per point
2002 Dues at OKW are $3.22/pt. BWV dues are $3.93/pt. That's quite a bit more than $.20/pt. For the mathmatically challenged, that's 22% higher.
Not everything you read on these boards is always 100% the truth.
At least that statement is correct.

BenStone

Come on now people, OKWR isn't that good, in fact some current members really ought to be smart and sell out <G>.

Seriously, its a great resort, and as a 'in the planning stages' DVC resale buyer I'm looking to OKW for sure.

I just don't want too many people to figure out the secret <G>

Another opinion on VWL is the 2 bedroom is a dedicated 2 br unlike the BWV - there are 2 queens in the 2nd bedroom. BWV has the 1 br attached to the studio so the "2nd bedroom" has the queen with a pull out couch. I'd be willing to pay the same for std rooms as the VWL if they would make some of those 2 br like the VWL. My girls fight over who gets the "real" bed - those pull outs are gross. OKW is just a terrific place at a great value - the 2 bedrooms are actually 2 bedrooms (imagine that). We loved VWL - can't wait to go back.

Disclaimer: Not knocking BWV - love it, happy owner, great location, ..... just want them to make 2 bedroom units that have the 2 queens in the extra bedroom.

BWV dues have been more than 30% higher in the past.

The One bedroom unit at OKW is 40% larger.

The Two bedroom unit at OKW is more than 30% larger.

The studios and grand villas are more than 10% larger.

Saying that the units are 25% larger at OKW is a very reasonable statement.

Don't forget, the points are 25-100% higher per night for those tiny rooms.

I agree, I am not being completely accurate when I say that this makes BWV room 75% higher dues per sq ft per night......it looks like a more accurate statement, averaging everything out would be, BWV rooms cost more than 100%(that's double) more than OKW rooms in dues per sq ft per night.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Mouse ears,
When I said hotel like setting, I didn't mean as opposed to a motel. I meant as opposed to a townhouse setting like OKW.

Originally posted by CarolMN

While it is true that the OKW units are larger, your party of 5 will fit in the VWL 2 bedroom just fine. Don't worry. We fit 5 adults around the table at BWV (same size units as VWL) without a problem. Just brought in one of the balcony chairs. You'd have to do that at OKW as well - there are only 4 dining chairs in all of the 1 & 2 bedroom DVC units.

Don't forget the regular chairs around the table in the studio part of the 2 bedroom. There are a total of 6 "inside" chairs in a 2br anywhere... 2 for the dining table, 2 for the breakfast bar, 2 in the 2nd bedroom.

I personally think that the only time the size might make any kind of a difference is if you are approaching capacity in these units. A 2 bedroom for 5 people is downright luxurious at any resort.

Lisa

Sorry, I made a mistake and I can admit when I make a mistake. The OKW dues are $0.70 less than BWV or $210.00 more per year for a 300 pt contract at BWV vs OKW.
The % given for the difference in room sizes is still high if I am not mistaken and how the pt difference is 100% more when you compare a standard view at BWV or take into consideration different pt schedules for different times of the year is also not accurate.
HOWEVER.................
I am done playing in these childish games of mine is bigger than yours. Ben and Rich you are more than welcome to stay in your sandbox and fight with whomever dares disagree with you and you can shout about bigger, lower, etc, etc, and hurl insults at others, put down all other DVC resorts etc., till you turn blue in the face. I have more important things to do with my time. I left the playground and the sandbox many years ago and I certainly do not wish to go back especially with the likes of you.
Enjoy boys!

Well...we chose OKW!! BWV would have been nice but I needed to make a decision now (can't wait until they become available). WLV are absolutely beautiful but I, personally wanted a different theme (other than "Lodge") after staying at AKL, which was also great!!! OKW is bigger too and after spending two vacations (only 3 nights each, non-Disney) within the past three years in the same room (supposed to be efficiency units that can accomodate 5, yeah right!!!!!) with my parents we need larger accomodations. Especially seeing that this is their first WDW vacation in almost 15 years!
I think we made the right decision for this trip. Next time when it's just myself, DH and DS we'll stay at WLV (definitely)!
Thanks again!!!!!!

:D

You wont be sorry. I love the convenience of parking outside your door and having what looks like a vacation home instead of an apartment.

There is a reason OKW is the easiest resort to book at the 7 month window. This resort has the least demand even with the lower point schedule. OKW has a minority of units (34%) and a minority of members so demand should be high for rooms here. (For the logic behind this see a recent thread on the future gems of DVC, HH and Vero.) Now onto the question.

There are several reasons the three resorts share a higher point schedule. The first and biggest reason is they can. After the initial and unexpected high success of OKW DVC realized the point per night was schedule was too low. They could charge more and still maintain a high demand. This increase has not slowed demand, proven by the sales at WLV and BCV outselling predictions.

The second reason is location and local amenities. OKW remains the only on World resort not near a park. BWV and BCV have the benefit of being close to two parks and the Boardwalk. These resorts have pool slides and more themed pools. They have more restaurants on site. They have better transportation options.

The third reason is to keep points in line with cash prices for the rooms. There is a difference between the cash prices for BCV and BWV vs. WLV but not as dramatic as the difference with OKW.

There are other minor reasons as well but I believe DVC’s main motive in setting the points schedule is to maximize profit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!