• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do you DIS solo?

I've never been able to take a solo WDW trip, but I've also never had the house to myself for more than 8 or so hours. If I ever really had a choice between the two, I think Disney would win hands down. Most of the things I'd do alone at home I could also do in an occasional "day off" of parenting or could do at night after the kids were asleep. But the solo Disney trip would be more of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, something I couldn't come close to duplicating from home. Whichever you decide on, enjoy!
I wouldn't exactly call it a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. We never know what the future will deal us. I got divorced in 2000, my children were all grown up and married and raising their own families and every year, but, the last two, I have gone there solo. I don't go for a long time, (four days tops), but, I have gone both as part of solo road trips or just to WDW and Universal, plus side trips to other places. Wherever my brain would tell me that I wanted to go too. Once I even used the Orlando area as a base and drove down through the Florida Keys to Key West basically on a whim. It is just an adventure and one that allows us to be completely self centered and guilt free.

What brings you to Disney on a solo trip?

For the first time ever, DH is taking the kids (12 and 14) to visit his parents in Cali on his own and I opted to stay home and enjoy my house all to myself for four glorious days for the first time ever! They leave Friday 9/27 and fly home Tuesday 10/1. I am having visions of a quiet house, a clean house and just being able to do my own thing while they are gone.

But then I started thinking...

Maybe I should take myself on a solo WDW vacay since I have never been able to do that either! It looks like I can stay on property at a moderate and have RT direct flights all for around $1250. I am totally on the fence. DD and I are headed to Disney May 8-13 for a cheer competition, so I will be there in 2 months, BUT it will be a very busy trip and the focus is the competition, not the parks. But then I wonder of I am foolish to give up 4 days at home on my own.

Decisions, decisions...

I have gone solo exclusively for the last 5 years. I live less than a 2 hour drive from WDW. I also have an annual pass which makes it more affordable to "just go" and I have a job where I get 2 three day weekends and 1 four day weekend every 4 weeks. So I go quite a lot. I used to go a lot when I was married too, but could never go and do just what I wanted. Also I would have relatives come down from around the country and I/we always did what they wanted. Now I can do what I want and if I miss a Fast Pass, it isn't a big deal and if I'm not inclined to go to an ADR, I'll reschedule it and then cancel it a day before the new date.

I get a lot more vacation time than my friends and family and I love Disney, so I do a lot of solo trips. I also go to other places solo, but Disney often wins out because it’s fun and convenient. It is definitely more relaxing to go solo, since you do exactly what you want to. You can sleep in, spend as much, or as little, time in the parks as you want, ride what you want and skip what you want, and if you want to spend a whole day shopping or taking photos, you can. Sometimes when I go to the parks with others it’s less fun now, because I have my own way of touring and they have theirs and it’s constant compromises all day.

A couple reasons:
1. I've read that you should take a solo trip to Disney at least once, so I am.
2. I get to call all the shots. So, no arguing about where to eat, what fastpasses to book, or anything else.

I started going solo when no one would go with me. I am married with no children and a teacher. I usually go in the summer. I love the freedom of doing what I want. I live near an airport which also makes it convenient for me to fly there. This year for the first time I bought an annual pass. I’m going Easter weekend, August for the Halloween party, and Thanksgiving. Maybe I’ll go in July? Who knows?

Took my kids almost every year since they were little. Sometimes we still do "reunion" vaca's but it gets to be a pain with so many adults (mid-to-late 20's) with so many different "attitudes", especially DH. So....I try to go once or twice a year solo (five hour drive)....and I have the time of my life. Don't have to worry about others, can do what I want, WHEN I want. No one looks at me crazy since everyone is so self involved themselves, so it's great! And I do Values when I'm by myself....so realistically, I can justify the expense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter