Why Do Some Parents....

Because I have to park my giant SUV way back in the parking lot and it's a long walk to the entrance of Target. If I'm just running in for a few things, or getting a prescription filled, or going with someone else who can push the cart, I always grab my own stroller. None of those nasty germs to worry about either. If I have to use a cart I park by the cart corral and put my infant seat in there. Baby is 1 and can sit up, but is still small enough for the infant seat. I never just sit him in the regular seat---beside the yucky germ issue he'd be standing out of that seatbelt in an instant.

I tote my own pen
Me too!!!! I thought I was the only one who did that. I can't tell you how often everyone around me is sick but I stay well because of my own pen (and washing my hands immediately after walking in the door after shopping).

First thing I thought of is maybe Mom or Dad has a bad back and can't tote that kid in from the car:flower3:

My youngest was the world's worst about throwing stuff out of the cart. We couldn't let him near it! One time he threw a carton of cottage cheese and it went right down this woman's cleavage:eek: After I apologized profusely I went off in the corner and laughed my butt off. I really was sorry, but man that was funny.

The child in the stroller is generally not touching the merchandise, the money you use, the pen you hold to sign the slip and the plastic bag your purchase was placed it.

yes, but don't you touch your kid to get him/her out of the stroller?

yes, but don't you touch your kid to get him/her out of the stroller?

Oh you are right, we should but children in a bubble or bubbles as the case may be!:lmao:

Logically, if someone is concerned about the germs a child may come in contact with, it makes sense to reduce the contact. Therefore a child in their own stroller will (in theory) come in contact with less "alien" germs than a child in a store shopping cart. And since we are picking at details, anyone concerned about touching their child with what you now consider germ covered hands (from touching items, money etc.) can use a wipe on their hands BEFORE removing Jr from the stroller.

I can understand using a stroller in a large store or the mall, but not the tiny cramped mall stores, like Spencers. We went in for something last christmas and a family had a huge stroller parked in the row, it couldn't fit through all the isles of the already packed store but this family was determined to make it fit.

We used to take turns going into the store while someone stayed out in the hall with the baby and stroller. Seemed much safer than strangers pushing against the stroller just to try and get out of the store.

Oh you are right, we should but children in a bubble or bubbles as the case may be!:lmao:

Logically, if someone is concerned about the germs a child may come in contact with, it makes sense to reduce the contact. Therefore a child in their own stroller will (in theory) come in contact with less "alien" germs than a child in a store shopping cart. And since we are picking at details, anyone concerned about touching their child with what you now consider germ covered hands (from touching items, money etc.) can use a wipe on their hands BEFORE removing Jr from the stroller.

I'm just thinking about how nasty my stroller was before I tossed it :rolleyes1

My daughter just HATES shopping carts. I dont know why she is so against the restraints in the carts but not her stroller. If I even walk past them she gets very upset. I am trying to break her of this and sometimes I do pretty well with refocusing her attention and can get some shopping done. Other times, I just use the stoller if I am going in and out or if it is snack time and I need the tray to have a clean surface for her snack. Generally, I use the stroller in the mall and in the larger outdoor shopping centers when I know I am going to more than one store.

Hope this helps!

My DS is coming up on 3 and I regularly take him in his stroller into the BIG BOX stores (and occasionally the grocery store). I don't have germ issues with the carts as we regularly use those when I know my shopping needs dictate it, but it is way less of a battle for him to be in his stroller. He's not trying to stand up, or a variety of other unsafe movements, he's not grabbing stuff out of the basket, or now the thing is he doesn't want to be in the cart but wants to walk or stand on the end, but then he's "free." Try doing your general shopping with a curious toddler in tow. :rotfl:

The "battle" stays at the car when strapping him into the stroller. By the time we get to the front doors, he's content to be riding and looking around. He's much more pleasent when in his stroller (even occasionally falls asleep still :) ).

I've never had concerns of someone thinking I'd be stealing. I guess I've figured they can watch me all through the store if they wish and watch me walk up to the registar with my "loot."

I have been putting my merchandise under the stroller for almost three years now. I'm not worried about what people are thinking because I know I am doing what is best for my situation. I see others using strollers in grocery stores, etc. and never have thought twice about it cause obviously they have their reasons, too. I am also one of those people who don't care if people choose to push their 7 yr. old in a stroller around Disney cause it is not my business;)

I've brought my stroller into a store with shopping carts only once or twice. Once when DS was sleeping and once to Costco because we were going to eat at their food area. It is easier to feed DS in a stroller than in a cart. I could see bringing a stroller if you were worried about germs getting a baby with a weakened immume system sick, but then I'd probably just wait until DH came home and leave him at home.

I can understand using a stroller in a large store or the mall, but not the tiny cramped mall stores, like Spencers. We went in for something last christmas and a family had a huge stroller parked in the row, it couldn't fit through all the isles of the already packed store but this family was determined to make it fit.

We used to take turns going into the store while someone stayed out in the hall with the baby and stroller. Seemed much safer than strangers pushing against the stroller just to try and get out of the store.

Yep, we don't go into stores with our huge strollers when we can avoid it - like if I go shopping with hubby - but if I'm alone - I'm going it... stroller and all... if they want my business - they will move some things around a bit. I'm wondering how wheelchairs fit in Spencers?

The carts are germy and Id rather have my son be comfy in his stroller. I've taken his stroller into grocery stores, Target etc. I do put stuff in the storage basket but then I pay for it. Stealing would be leaving the store with unpaid items in your basket, not simply storing them there!

Yep, we don't go into stores with our huge strollers when we can avoid it - like if I go shopping with hubby - but if I'm alone - I'm going it... stroller and all... if they want my business - they will move some things around a bit. I'm wondering how wheelchairs fit in Spencers?

I wonder that too. A few of those stores are packed so tightly, add in the holiday crowd and it can get nasty. People pushing and shoving, ugh! I feel for the wheelchair bound. And I hold doors for those pushing strollers - having been there I know how much they can suck - it was such a wonderful feeling when our stroller was passed onto another family. :woohoo:

I don't do it routinely, but when I've finally gotten all the way out to the store and turn around to see the baby is asleep, I'm not going to go back home. I have been known to transfer my sleeping two year old from her carseat to the stroller before :thumbsup2 .

Well thanks for all your responces.

I guess the germ thing is a real issue for a lot of people, but really not for me. My kids have never been really sick, never hospatilized, and only one has had an ear infection once. I know there are other kids/people out there who are not so lucky. I guess I've also been pretty lucky with my kids NEVER ONCE trying to get out of the carriage - thats the blessing of having all girls! Now getting them to sit still for 5 seconds at home is another story!!!!

I guess the germ thing is a real issue for a lot of people, but really not for me. My kids have never been really sick, never hospatilized, and only one has had an ear infection once. I know there are other kids/people out there who are not so lucky. I guess I've also been pretty lucky with my kids NEVER ONCE trying to get out of the carriage - thats the blessing of having all girls! Now getting them to sit still for 5 seconds at home is another story!!!!

I have to laugh at this!:rotfl: My dd's are both houdinis in the shopping cart! Neither one liked to sit in it and would promptly try to climb out within minutes!:eek: :laughing: You are very lucky that your kids like to sit. :cutie: We use the stroller if I am not planning on buying a lot and basically just taking a stroll around the store with the kids. I also like to use the stroller when I am by myself because it is easier. I don't really worry about germs though. The kids really find the carts to be uncomfortable too.

we could have the same kids! i have 3, we have also only dealt with 1 ear infection and at that it was an outer ear infection. we didnt even need antibiotics. my children have neevr been on antibiotics for anything. my oldest has had a couple broken bones though, but rarely sick. 1-2 colds a year if that for each of them.
i also consider myself lucky! oh and theyve never tried to get out of a carriage, or anything. and i have 2 boys.
we just use the shopping carts as well.

My oldest had 1 ear infection - but I think it was because he was bottle fed. Nothing with any of the others ever! We don't use buggys unless we cover them and usually we use the stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter