Why do Americans say "Craig" funny?

"out in the sticks" or "out in the boonies." Boonies being a play on boondocks.

We use "in the sticks" as well.

I've heard British people say all three of these things but i think its just slang thats translated over from US TV shows. I just say "in the middle of nowhere"

A slang term for an ATM is a "hole in the wall" here.

Same here. Or just "cash machine" = "hole in the wall" = "ATM" however ATM is the least used of those three. Cash machine being most popular.

If anyone wants to explain what a York pudding is, that would be great. Looks like a roll with gravy.

Yorkshire Puddings are a must with roasts. We also have giant ones which you can put the roast inside. However I like the little ones. They are a basic batter which is cooked in essentially a cupcake tin with oil. The secret is to heat the oil in the pan until its blistering hot (a puddle in each impression) and then pour the batter directly into the hot oil, then return to the oven.

yorkshirepuddings_86010_16x9.jpg

While roasts are an Aussie favorite, Yorkshire puddings aren't common.
We can get them at ALDI, and I like those, but I've only had them in the past couple of years.

I've got another one:
Coozies. We call them "stubby holders" because... they hold stubbies! Lol.
We call certain bottled beer a stubby.
They're a shorter, fatter glass bottle. Google "Carlton draught stubby" or "victoria bitter stubby" to get an idea, compare it to a corona bottle.
The stubby holders also hold a can, so same diameter.

Also, what the heck is up with plastic bud light bottles on universal property?! Felt like drinking out of a coke bottle, terrible.
We also got a kick out of the aluminum (pronounced al-you-min-ee-um, not al-ooo-min-um) bottled beer? That was weird too[/QUOTE]

We call a coozie or koozie a cozy or can holder. I have also heard people call them bottle jackets :-) We see a few of them in the summer but they aren't as popular here. Maybe because our hot summer months are so limited?

We used to have stubbies in Canada. I remember seeing my Dad's Labatt 50 bottles in the fridge when I was a child. But in the early 80s? the long-necks came north of the border. I think more young women were getting into beer and found it easier to hold the long-neck bottles. Now, 99% of our beer is in long-necks.

We have had beer cans forever (lighter to take camping or to the cottage than toting glass bottles) but the plastic bud light bottles you would have to search for.

In Canada we call a case of 24 beer (bottles) a 2-4. Some pronounce it as a too-furr :-)

And in the province of Ontario, all alcohol distribution is restricted by the provincial government. So we can't buy any alcohol in Walmart, corner stores, etc. The Brewers' Retail controls mass consumption beer sales in special "Beer Store" buildings. It is no longer owned by Canadian brewers but a handful of large offshore corps. I haven't been in a Beer Store in years. The smell of hot stale beer and the sticky floors is a bit of a turn off. Depending on the time of day and the day of the week, it can also be a bit iffy to be in the dark parking lot. Some craft breweries have limited sales of their products onsite but while incredible beer, small breweries are not widespread throughout the province. We can buy wine, some beer and hard liquor in the LCBO store (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). These are a hold over from Prohibition. For example, my Mother will not go into either the LCBO or Brewers' Retail because of the old stigma of buying booze. So, I end up doing a white wine run for her every few months :-) LCBO stores can be beautiful stores in larger centres with wine demos, free magazines, etc. In villages & towns, they are small stand alone buildings with very limited selection. But in most truly rural areas, they are trailers in a gas station parking lot or a small separate room in a gas station. The tax mark up on wine & liquor is huge (easily 2-4x the US retail price) and its a significant source of the province's tax base. A few grocery stores also have small wine kiosks inside offering a limited selection of Ontario produced wines. We are now starting to see some larger wine sales in select grocery store chains in Toronto because of very recent legislation. However, this is limited to very large Ontario cities. Rural Ontario still deals with the LCBO and the Beer Store. This is not the case in other parts of Canada where beer & wine can certainly be purchased in Mom & Pop stores.

Same here. Or just "cash machine" = "hole in the wall" = "ATM" however ATM is the least used of those three. Cash machine being most popular.
We call an ATM a cash machine or the ATM. Sometimes its called a "Green Machine" the old brand name of some of the first cash machines from TD Bank (Toronto Dominion Bank).

Yorkshire Puddings are a must with roasts.

Your pic is incredible! We don't normally have Yorkshire Pudding with Beef Roasts in Canada. You would need to have parents from the UK to get those for dinner. One of my childhood friends was originally from London and when I had dinner at her house, her Mom made wonderful Yorkshire Pudding with slow-cooked beef!

So we can't buy any alcohol in Walmart, corner stores, etc.

We can buy wine, some beer and hard liquor in the LCBO store

Thats facinating. I had no idea about this in Canada.

If my memory serves from my time in Far north Queensland I can distinctly remember there were drive through alcohol shop. Was it called a bottle stop??? Is that a brand name or a general slang term.

Maybe princess Jess could shed a bit of light on this?

In the UK you can buy alcohol pretty much anywhere with a license. Only rules are you cannot buy alcohol between midnight and 11am Sunday. Supermarket or small shop - as long as it has a license.

I should stress this is in the province of Ontario. eg Quebec and Alberta do not have the same restrictions.

The word "fortnight" . . . we don't use it at all in North America now. I understand it is a measure of time but how many days/nights are in a fortnight? Any idea how the word came about?

two weeks or 14 days

That's interesting. we use fortnight all the time in the UK

Wiki to the rescue:

The word derives from the Old English: fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights".[1][2]Fortnight and fortnightly are commonly used words in the English-speaking world, where some wages, salaries and social security benefits are paid on a fortnightly basis

Now, for the thousand dollar question . . . how do you pronounce "worcestershire" sauce in the UK? Can you type it out phonetically for those of us who may be a wee bit challenged :P I have heard many interesting takes on this in North America. In Canada, many give up and just ask for "HP" sauce (which I don't think is really the same thing) or Lea & Perrins - the brand name:-)

Thats facinating. I had no idea about this in Canada.

If my memory serves from my time in Far north Queensland I can distinctly remember there were drive through alcohol shop. Was it called a bottle stop??? Is that a brand name or a general slang term.

Maybe princess Jess could shed a bit of light on this?

In the UK you can buy alcohol pretty much anywhere with a license. Only rules are you cannot buy alcohol between midnight and 11am Sunday. Supermarket or small shop - as long as it has a license.
In Australia, we have:
Bottle-o's which is basically anywhere you can buy alcohol, always a shop, never in a general store (which we call a milk bar)
You can only buy alcohol from a licensed store which there are many. And yes, we have drive through bottle-o's. Some have a very limited selection, others are huge and have a great selection.
You can't buy alcohol in supermarkets here.

Now, for the thousand dollar question . . . how do you pronounce "worcestershire" sauce in the UK? Can you type it out phonetically for those of us who may be a wee bit challenged :P I have heard many interesting takes on this in North America. In Canada, many give up and just ask for "HP" sauce (which I don't think is really the same thing) or Lea & Perrins - the brand name:-)
We say "woosh-ter-shy-er"
But my girlfriend (female friend, not lover, who's parent are English) calls it "woozy" but not "woo" more like "wu" so "wuzzy" but not like "fuzzy" lol.
Ok, this is one I can't spell phonetically.
Also, hp and woozy are very different.
Worcestershire is quite runny and liquid, and it's very dark, but not as opaque as soy sauce, and it has little floaties in it.
It's more of an English thing, though some people use it on steak or eggs

In Australia, we have:
Bottle-o's which is basically anywhere you can buy alcohol, always a shop, never in a general store (which we call a milk bar)
You can only buy alcohol from a licensed store which there are many. And yes, we have drive through bottle-o's. Some have a very limited selection, others are huge and have a great selection.
You can't buy alcohol in supermarkets here.

We say "woosh-ter-shy-er"
But my girlfriend (female friend, not lover, who's parent are English) calls it "woozy" but not "woo" more like "wu" so "wuzzy" but not like "fuzzy" lol.
Ok, this is one I can't spell phonetically.
Also, hp and woozy are very different.
Worcestershire is quite runny and liquid, and it's very dark, but not as opaque as soy sauce, and it has little floaties in it.
It's more of an English thing, though some people use it on steak or eggs

Or on top of cheese on toast, yum!! I made a mistake in my last post, I left of the shire. So we pronounce it

wus-ster-sh-er sauce

Also, the real name for a bottle-o is a bottle shop, we Aussies have a habit of shortening or giving a nick name to everything.
For example, if your name was (disney)Steve, you'd probably get SteveO.
If your surname was johnson, you better believe your nickname would automatically be Johnno.
Most of my husband's friends didn't even know his real name because his nickname is a name if that makes sense. It's a shortening of his surname, which people shorten even further!

And, everything is much more expensive down here, to the point that even disney pricing wasn't expensive to us.
A glass of johnny walker red and coke or ginger ale will set you back $8-$12 on average. A cocktail at a bar is easily $18-$20 and hats not at a fancy establishment.
When the team talk about an entree costing them $16.99 and it was expensive, even at a place comparable to say, NBA city, that would be around $20.
And don't forget the exchange rate which at the moment is killing me by sitting at around USD$0.70 for our $1

And one more thing before I continue to get ready for work.
Feminine hygiene products. They seem different.
I'd be happy to continue that discussion via pm if you can answer some questions for me Sam?

Or on top of cheese on toast, yum!! I made a mistake in my last post, I left of the shire. So we pronounce it

wus-ster-sh-er sauce
Actually, some of us say it that way too. Some people don't fully pronounce the "shire" part

And don't get me started on the "cah-stle/cass-tle" and "dah-nce/Daan-ce" debate

Actually one last thing: what's up with your toilets?! (Also called a loo or dunny, but dunny is a bit country for me)
They're so large and long oval shaped and filled with water!! Freaked me out the whole time I was there

And one more thing before I continue to get ready for work.
Feminine hygiene products. They seem different.
I'd be happy to continue that discussion via pm if you can answer some questions for me Sam?

I'll do my best but have never "pm"d before so I might need instructions on how to do that. I'll check it out first & if its super easy, I'll just do whatever I have to do. I guess? It must be 5 o-clock somewhere (meaning, I could use a drink!) o_O

Actually one last thing: what's up with your toilets?! (Also called a loo or dunny, but dunny is a bit country for me)
They're so large and long oval shaped and filled with water!! Freaked me out the whole time I was there
Hey, they have to be big enough to get the job done :P