• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why Castmembers Hate DVC Members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beca said:
....I was only referring to smokers who smoke in rooms that are designated for non-smokers. :wave:

Beca
Beca, that's a great point, this is the only smoker I have an issue with, the inconsiderate smoker smoking in a non-moking room. Smokers smoking in smoking rooms really do not concern me.

Claiming smoking adiction is equivalent to hetero or homosexuality as an analog is off the deep end. Read: cognative dissonance reduction.

Plus4206 said:
***" And can anybody tell me just how this thread - which started out w/the interesting comments of the op - has segued into smoking/non??"***

This is not a condition unique to this thread. All the good ones travel many paths.

Smoking is just another reason why CMs hate DVC members...... ;)

Par8hed said:
Can I poolhop to SAB and skinnydip while smoking an authentic Cuban cigar provided there are less than 5 people staying in my 1 bedroom?

NO -- Keep your ashes out of the pool !!! :teeth:

Well, I don't have anything to say about smoking, which seems to be where this thread went, but I thought the OP was pretty interesting, as well as the way everybody jumped on him afterwards.

Yeah, not to back to the original topic, but there's a very fine line between making observations and stereotyping people.

When you work with the public, its impossible not to notice that people with a particular background tend to behave in a similar way, or take similar actions, when those tendencies do exist.

To avoid offending anyone, lets say you work at a DVC property and have cleaned the rooms of 100 customers from Mars, and 100 customers from Uranus. In cleaning the rooms, you found that 50 of the customers left the bathrooms in horrible shape, and at least 45 of those customers were from Mars. (for whatever reason, residents of Uranus have more respect for bathrooms)

Is it wrong to notice that, and say that customers from Mars tend to have less tidy bathroom habits than customers from Uranus? Not really, its just an observation. But when you use it to stereotype people, and assume that anyone from Mars is a slob, then its a problem.

Unfortunately, some people assume that anyone who makes an observation like the above is being offensive. At the same time, a lot of people let those observations color their perceptions of people (its almost impossible not to, at least to a certain extent).

I think the OP was mostly just relating an observation, though it did sound like he/she might have been letting that color too much of their opinions about people in general.

raidermatt said:
Yeah, not to back to the original topic, but there's a very fine line between making observations and stereotyping people.

When you work with the public, its impossible not to notice that people with a particular background tend to behave in a similar way, or take similar actions, when those tendencies do exist.

To avoid offending anyone, lets say you work at a DVC property and have cleaned the rooms of 100 customers from Mars, and 100 customers from Uranus. In cleaning the rooms, you found that 50 of the customers left the bathrooms in horrible shape, and at least 45 of those customers were from Mars. (for whatever reason, residents of Uranus have more respect for bathrooms)

Is it wrong to notice that, and say that customers from Mars tend to have less tidy bathroom habits than customers from Uranus? Not really, its just an observation. But when you use it to stereotype people, and assume that anyone from Mars is a slob, then its a problem.

Unfortunately, some people assume that anyone who makes an observation like the above is being offensive. At the same time, a lot of people let those observations color their perceptions of people (its almost impossible not to, at least to a certain extent).

I think the OP was mostly just relating an observation, though it did sound like he/she might have been letting that color too much of their opinions about people in general.

Okay....I KNOW I have the mentality of a 5 yr old...but, talking about the "bathroom habits" of the people from Uranus.....

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

...that is just TOO funny!!!!! :rotfl:

I will try to grow up now, I promise!!!! ;)

Beca

Beca said:
Okay....I KNOW I have the mentality of a 5 yr old...but, talking about the "bathroom habits" of the people from Uranus.....

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

...that is just TOO funny!!!!! :rotfl:

I will try to grow up now, I promise!!!! ;)

Beca

Beca: Keep Uranus out of the pool too -- make sure it stays in the bathroom, where it belongs! :banana:

This thread, which started off kind of sad, has gotten REALLY funny. I think for me, it has to be right up there with the thread about banning children from quiet pools/leisure pools. Come to think of it, that thread also sort-of turned into a smoking/NS debate! :flower:

calypso*a*go-go said:
Beca: Keep Uranus out of the pool too -- make sure it stays in the bathroom, where it belongs! :banana:

Yeah...you keep Uranus far away from me!!!

:rotfl2:

I officially have tears running down my face right now...where's rinkwide....he should be chiming in on this one as well!!!

:wave:

Beca

Plus4206 said:
***" I know for a fact that you can not smoke in any hotel rooms in San Fransisco, CA. Nor can you smoke in any bar or restaurant in San Fransisco. I assume that is true for the entire state of CA, but I'm not sure. Why could Flordia not also enact these laws? "***

The difference is that I didn't spend $30,000 to stay in a hotel room. I don't have a vested interest in Hotel Six, Joe's Bar and Grill or the state of Ca.
Actually what you paid has nothing to do with this thread, the rules, what DVC can or will do or what the state will do. As noted, CA and NY have far more restrictions than FL and the local climate is heading that way. Frankly I don't care if anyone smokes in a smoking room but they should be banned if they smoke in a NS unit. There was no promise or entitlement to have smoking units and no convoluted way to generate any promise. I think you're setting yourself up for heartache if you have adopted the sentiment that it will ruin your trip if there are no longer smoking units as I think it will happen within the next 5-10 years. I didn't think so previously but have come around to that conclusion.

Since there is precedence for hotels and timeshare going non smoking and instituting fines accordingly, I am wondering your precedence for believing it can't be changed at DVC other than you don't want it to be changed.

DrBond007 said:
...Smokers smoking in smoking rooms ...
.... Read: cognative dissonance reduction.

Read: Cognitive dissonance redundancy.......

Now, non-smokers not smoking in smoking rooms, what do we do with these people? And then we have to deal with the non-smokers not smoking in non-smoking rooms... Wait, that's ok, right?

Bobbles said:
I was trying to draw a parallel between the "odor" left behind by smokers in a non-smoking room and the peanut dust left behind by the peanut eaters.

But anaphylactic shock is more immediately apparent than the effects of the "smell" of old stale stinky smoke.

I am a smoker but I do not like the smell of stale smoke and DO NOT smoke in any WDW room. Smoking or NON.
It's just called "consideration".

For the consideration from all of us non-smokers !!!!

Par8hed said:
Can I poolhop to SAB and skinnydip while smoking an authentic Cuban cigar provided there are less than 5 people staying in my 1 bedroom?

Yes, but only if you get special permission by yelling at a manager.

Y'all have me rolling!! And, just to put my two cents into the mix: DS and I both are quite alergic to smoke- if I go into a room that has been smoked in recently, not only can I smell it, but my eyes swell up immediately- in about 5 minutes. My 2 year-old has the same problem. Bless his heart, his eyes itched so bad once that they started bleeding- imagine a Mom seeing that! Not fun- so I think smokers should be able to smoke in their rooms, but that they should also be fined if they smoke in n/s rooms.
I haven't even made my first official trip home yet and I know CMs will hate us. DH always expects the best service, whether DVC members or not. He owns his own business and feels that he knows how difficult customers can be. If he can put up with them and give the absolute best service, then so can WDW. I'm a little more easy-going. Maybe b/c I'm a mananger at a bank and I always get yelled at even when it's the customer who just didn't balance his checkbook! So, that was way off topic, too! I was trying to get back to why they hate us, but I guess that didn't work out too well!

Ksp said:
Just an FYI:
While the smoking residue might not qualify as second hand smoke, anyone who is allergic to smoke will react to the residue left in any and all of the "soft" furnishings - pillows, mattresses, couch cushions, draperies, etc.

Does this residue pose a health risk? For those who suffer from allergies/asthma, or any similar conditions, absolutely.

And can anybody tell me just how this thread - which started out w/the interesting comments of the op - has segued into smoking/non??

Absolutely correct!! And 100% medically proven…that debate was settled long ago

***" I think you're setting yourself up for heartache if you have adopted the sentiment that it will ruin your trip if there are no longer smoking units as I think it will happen within the next 5-10 years. I didn't think so previously but have come around to that conclusion.

Since there is precedence for hotels and timeshare going non smoking and instituting fines accordingly, I am wondering your precedence for believing it can't be changed at DVC other than you don't want it to be changed" ***

Maybe I haven't made it clear here, but I'm a non smoker. I don't care if the entire state of Fl becomes a NS area. If the laws mandate NS in all hotels and timeshares, so be it. The only people a smoker can be pissed at are the elected officials who changed the laws.

But you know as well as I do that smokers were assured there are smoking unit availible before they bought and I'm willing to bet the guide never made a disclaimer statement to the affect of " but that could change at any time" . Maybe I'm fighting a losing battle here. Maybe smokers don't care if they can no longer smoke in their units.

For me the issue isn't smoking. It's about losing a right or a priviledge that I've taken for granted for years. Maybe having a cold one by the pool will be next. How many pages will that thread be.

Plus4206 said:
***" ....But you know as well as I do that smokers were assured there are smoking unit availible before they bought ....

That's funny, when my wife and I toured and bought our DVC ownership, the topic never even came up. We were never asked if we were smokers, and no mention was ever made regarding what was allowable and not.

We are not smokers, but they had no way of determining that.

What they did make special mention of was the possibility that the terms of use could change, at the discretion of the DVD. So I would reasonably deduce that they could make the resorts completely non-smoking.

It's not an issue of personal "rights" being infringed upon. Disney is not a government or public body. They might be close.....

We have all entered into an agreement by way of contract with Disney. In it, they explicitly retain the right to make changes. Done deal.

wtpclc said:
However, when you smell something, you are inhaling small particles of it.

I demand Non-Farting Rooms!!!! :earseek: :earseek: :teeth:

Since this thread has morphed into a smoking debate, please visit this thread to continue the subject. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter