Why are DVC members paying so much?

drb, what a great post. This thread was hot and furious a month ago, but I believe your question really puts it into light. Purchase into DVC is a large committment, both financially and time. In reading all the posts of this thread, I believe EVERYONE is right. That's because DVC is different for everyone and for many it's the best choice they've ever made, while for others it's a mistake or the wrong choice to pursue.

No one can tell you what to do. DVC ownership is not a simple matter. Your financial situation applies only to you. Your family has only so much vacation time available. WHEN you can vacation is on your time schedule. WHERE you vacation is based on your preferences. There is no simple formula that will tell you whether DVC is right for you or not. No one can tell you. You'll have to make that judgment yourself.

However, I believe coming to this board is definitely the right step. Go through the posts, read everything. You'll find every opinion, every circumstance, every spin on DVC you can imagine here. Make a list of what you see that is also relevant to your situation. Record every pro, every con. When you have questions that haven't shown up, ask them here, one at a time, separately. You'll get lots of help. Be sure you have thoroughly reviewed all the FAQ's. As to your particular financial situation, do you use any financial software on your computer such as Quicken, or MS Money? If so, plug in the numbers and see what it means to you on a month by month basis. Tired of Disney EVERY year, then see what other options DVC might have, or not. If you see any value there, put it in the pro column, if not, then in the con.

As you'll see on these boards, DVC is not for everyone. The question is, is it right for you? Only you can decide that. Almost everyone who posts here has decided it's right for them, and somewhere, someone has experienced and can answer almost any question you may have. It'll be a lot of work on your part, and everyone on this board will help in whatever way they can. As you gather information, and answers, then at some point you'll know whether it's right for you or not. And you'll have gathered enough knowledge at that time to be comfortable with that decision.

No one is going to try to sell you on DVC. If all the features and benefits of DVC match your criteria for finances, vacations, and your individual needs, you'll probably purchase. If they don't match, then don't purchase, and have no regrets. But if it's a good match, let me say, a magical match (grin), then a future "welcome home" awaits your Disney vacations.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.
Caskbill

I believe that you hit the nail on the head. DVC is right for us because we wanted to stay in the 2-bedrooms at OKW every year. We bought 200 points which gets us a 2-bedroom for 6 nights/7 days during dream season. Right now with DVC financing we are paying right under $200 a month for the initial purchase plus dues. That is $2400 a year. A 2-bedroom at OKW is $525 a night during that time. That makes $3150 before tax and nearly $3500 w/tax. We are saving $1100 a year with DVC during the time of the loan. After the loan is paid off we will be saving even more, try about $2800 a year or more with inflation. But if a person has no intentions of staying inside WDW at a deluxe resort then DVC may not be for them. A lot depends on what type of experience and accomodations you are after when going to WDW. A person who has always stayed off-site and has no intention of staying on-site probably can not see the value of DVC.

I don't know, but why don't we just keep it on the first page, so in case someone new comes along and wants to know WHY we DVCer's are paying so much, they won't have to ask again! :D

rn_pic_1.jpg

dvcis.gif

dps.jpg

DVC Member since 1995

I am in the same boat. 2 kids in college etc. However, it seemed to us that DVC was a good way of stabilizing our vacation costs by geting into a system that would (after the initial cost) allow us at least 2 vacations a year at a fixed cost (annual maintenance). It was our way of continuuing the family practice of going to Disney and letting our kids go to Disney. They wouldn't afford it otherwise. It is obvious to me that DVC needs to appeal to you and make personal sense. The person that posted the thread starting this whole conversation again is a "curiosity."
If he is so sure it is a bad deal why waste the time to write such a long post. I think I hear a
small voice of doubt creeping into his argument...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter