Who, What, When, How of Tipping on DCL

I am rather high maintenance and I will complain if things aren't the way I want them. But we always tip anyway. Sometimes they will offer to remake something, if necessary. I say something because if I don't, they won't know something was wrong. What good is it to smile and say it's fine and then write a nasty review on a website?

It would have to be a colossal f-up to not leave a tip. That's just rude.
Yep. The only reason I withhold a tip is for outright and repeated rudeness on the servers part. Anything else is quite possibly not their fault, or they could be new, or any other number of things and I don't believe in penalizing a server for things they can't control. But I'm not high maintenance, almost never send food back, and work hard to be nice to servers. So if they treat me like I'm a giant inconvenience to their socializing with the other servers, or if they're simply rude repeatedly, I won't tip. There's no reason to tip for abusive service, IMHO.

To be clear, I've never not tipped a cruise worker...because I haven't taken my first cruise yet. I'm talking about in normal restaurants. And I never don't tip due to slow service. I usually don't even withhold a tip for sloppy service, especially if it is our first time at a restaurant, because I figure that everyone deserves a second chance and maybe they will be better when they realize how well we tip. If there is a problem with the food or the speed of the service, we may speak to a manager to let them know. But if a server is repeatedly rude and treats us like we are a huge inconvenience AND is slow on top of that, I won't tip. Even I have my limits.

Understood. In that case that is definitely the server.

I was just pointing out that sometimes it is not.

I completely understand your frustration. Because I know tipped workers rely on their tips, I usually tip decently regardless. However, there have definitely been times when I have been so disgusted by the lack of service that I have not tipped. It's an acknowledged and customary part of any service that is tipped here...but it's not required, so if the service really sucks, it is okay to let them know with your wallet.
For what it's worth, I don't know a single tipped worker here who wouldn't prefer to be paid a decent wage, and just be tipped for excellent service. For whatever reason, that's just the way it's done here. But I definitely understand your frustration.

So in WDW for example if I spent $100 and they add on 20% tip that's $20 dollars straight away for the sever is it not

Now people will spend more than that and will go through a lot of tables even in an hour or two

Am I missing something or to me that's a hell of a good wage, more than my hourly rate anyway and that's with out the extra wage on top

So in WDW for example if I spent $100 and they add on 20% tip that's $20 dollars straight away for the sever is it not

Now people will spend more than that and will go through a lot of tables even in an hour or two

Am I missing something or to me that's a hell of a good wage, more than my hourly rate anyway and that's with out the extra wage on top
It would be if that's what they made every hour and worked 40 hours a week. But, for example, when I was a waitress, the tip I was getting had to be shared with my busboy, the bartender who got my drinks, the hostess, the food runner and the kitchen. Out of that $20 I would get $10. Our tips were not added automatically either, so most of the time I wasn't getting 20%. It ranged quite a bit.
The other factor is that the rush hours are shorter than a normal eight hour shift. Usually there are only a few hours where the sections are full. Even then, most nice restaurants don't seat more than a few tables in a server's section. In my first restaurant we each got three. The next one was five, but the amount I was expected to tip out was higher, so it averaged out to about the same take each night.
Most waitstaff doesn't get a full 40 hours per week. My restaurants kept our scheduled hours below the amount where they would have to provide us insurance. Which of course meant that my tips had to also cover private insurance, which is very expensive here. Not to mention my clothes for work, which almost no restaurant provides for free. So while I would say that I would average around $150 a night, I only got to work 4 nights a week. Now, WDW waitstaff is a much higher level than I was. They probably make a lot more. But it's not the astronomical amount you're thinking, and they probably have more education to do it than you think. And it's a hard job. It's being on your feet the whole time, often getting treated poorly by customers, yelled at by the kitchen, and high stress most of the time because the timing of everything has to be perfect. It's not rocket science, but it does deserve more than minimum wage.

and that's with out the extra wage on top
You're forgetting that taxes will take almost if not all of that. Possibly more. If the tip is added automatically, it is recorded as their wages. They will be taxed on the tips too, which means they most likely won't see a paycheck other than their tips. They can write off the amount they tip out, but they still get taxed on all of it.

It would be if that's what they made every hour and worked 40 hours a week. But, for example, when I was a waitress, the tip I was getting had to be shared with my busboy, the bartender who got my drinks, the hostess, the food runner and the kitchen. Out of that $20 I would get $10. Our tips were not added automatically either, so most of the time I wasn't getting 20%. It ranged quite a bit.
The other factor is that the rush hours are shorter than a normal eight hour shift. Usually there are only a few hours where the sections are full. Even then, most nice restaurants don't seat more than a few tables in a server's section. In my first restaurant we each got three. The next one was five, but the amount I was expected to tip out was higher, so it averaged out to about the same take each night.
Most waitstaff doesn't get a full 40 hours per week. My restaurants kept our scheduled hours below the amount where they would have to provide us insurance. Which of course meant that my tips had to also cover private insurance, which is very expensive here. Not to mention my clothes for work, which almost no restaurant provides for free. So while I would say that I would average around $150 a night, I only got to work 4 nights a week. Now, WDW waitstaff is a much higher level than I was. They probably make a lot more. But it's not the astronomical amount you're thinking, and they probably have more education to do it than you think. And it's a hard job. It's being on your feet the whole time, often getting treated poorly by customers, yelled at by the kitchen, and high stress most of the time because the timing of everything has to be perfect. It's not rocket science, but it does deserve more than minimum wage.

If a restaurant automatically adds a tip of 18% or more there is NO way I tip more.

FYI DCL adds gratuity to all drinks as far as I know.

You're forgetting that taxes will take almost if not all of that. Possibly more. If the tip is added automatically, it is recorded as their wages. They will be taxed on the tips too, which means they most likely won't see a paycheck other than their tips. They can write off the amount they tip out, but they still get taxed on all of it.

Ah well I see what u mean then

But, see, that's your comfort zone as to what gratuities to give, then. And it's perfectly acceptable. Just as adding more to the tip envelope, if you want to. Or adjusting down the gratuities, if you feel it's warranted.
No, that is not a good answer!

If you arent comfortable tipping the recommended daily rates for good service, that is not OK. I am sorry comfort should only be for poor service.

If a restaurant automatically adds a tip of 18% or more there is NO way I tip more.

FYI DCL adds gratuity to all drinks as far as I know.
Yeah I get that. I actually was surprised to see GaryJames220 say that WDW adds 20% automatically. That's pretty high for autogratuity.

DCL adds 15% to the drinks, right? Or did that change? And do you know if it's normal/semi-expected for us to tip on top of that if we get a drink at the bars on the ship? Or is that generally acceptable? Will I be "that woman" if I don't tip extra on that? I mean, I want to be a good cruise passenger, but it seems like 15% is plenty for just pouring a glass of wine. But if it's normal to add something, I don't want to be a jerk.

First off, thank you folks for keeping this thread polite :lovestruc I have seen threads closed when the discussion of whether or not to tip has gotten too heated, and I would hate to see this thread meet that fate.

Instead of that topic, I really appreciate your help on figuring out what people consider the "standard" tip in various situations. The goal of this thread is to make sure we can all feel informed and not blind-sided by an unexpected tipping situation.

Thank you all SO much!! This thread would not be useful without all the info and experience you've shared. :lovestruc

DCL adds 15% to the drinks, right? Or did that change? And do you know if it's normal/semi-expected for us to tip on top of that if we get a drink at the bars on the ship? Or is that generally acceptable? Will I be "that woman" if I don't tip extra on that? I mean, I want to be a good cruise passenger, but it seems like 15% is plenty for just pouring a glass of wine. But if it's normal to add something, I don't want to be a jerk.

The general concensus on this has been that the auto-gratuity is enough in most situations. You would only add a bit more if the server did something really exceptional for you.

Princess Schmoo made some great points about tipping for shore excursions: does anyone else have experience with tipping for those? :)

On Alaska excursions that are so expensive, is it normal to tip $80-100 on a $600 whale watching tour?

On Alaska excursions that are so expensive, is it normal to tip $80-100 on a $600 whale watching tour?

For how many people? And is it private or you just got tickets on an excursion that was scheduled? Given that the cruising season IS when they make their money, I'm inclined to say yes. If it is a private tour possibly more.

For how many people? And is it private or you just got tickets on an excursion that was scheduled? Given that the cruising season IS when they make their money, I'm inclined to say yes. If it is a private tour possibly more.

We are on the small boat excursion, a family of 3.

We are on the small boat excursion, a family of 3.

Going through DCL? I don't know what "the small boat excursion" means.

If it's through DCL and not just your party of 3, I would plan to start with $20/person at minimum and if you feel it's warranted, increase it.

Going through DCL? I don't know what "the small boat excursion" means.

If it's through DCL and not just your party of 3, I would plan to start with $20/person at minimum and if you feel it's warranted, increase it.

It is not through DCL, its through Harv & Marv's. Small boat means the boat can hold 6 people.

I have read this whole thread, and I didn't see an answer to a question that I have. I apologize if this has already been answered. My question is about how to give the automatic gratuities, not the amount. I read in the first post that you will get envelopes with pre-paid vouchers to hand out, but last time I was on a cruise (4 years ago), I know I didn’t hand anything out. Is that new? Do you have to hand them directly to the person? Thank you!

I have read this whole thread, and I didn't see an answer to a question that I have. I apologize if this has already been answered. My question is about how to give the automatic gratuities, not the amount. I read in the first post that you will get envelopes with pre-paid vouchers to hand out, but last time I was on a cruise (4 years ago), I know I didn’t hand anything out. Is that new? Do you have to hand them directly to the person? Thank you!

You do not HAVE to give the vouchers - your servers and cabin host will receive the gratuities anyway. Some people like to put the slips (with or without extra money) into the envelopes and give them to the people. But you don't have to.

My personal take is it doesn't take that much effort to fold them in half and hand them to the person with a heartfelt thank you. But others' opinions may differ.

You do not HAVE to give the vouchers - your servers and cabin host will receive the gratuities anyway. Some people like to put the slips (with or without extra money) into the envelopes and give them to the people. But you don't have to.

My personal take is it doesn't take that much effort to fold them in half and hand them to the person with a heartfelt thank you. But others' opinions may differ.

Agreed. Of course, my personal take is that I am sufficiently shy/awkward that handing anyone money feels overwhelmingly embarrassing to me. I think that's why I started this thread: if I need to go through the ordeal of handing someone money, I want to know I'm doing it *right so I'm less embarrassed.

If I had my druthers, I'd let Disney give them the tip and just give the serving staff my heartfelt thanks without dollar signs included. Again, that's my shyness talking :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter