Who needs a FP for Character Meet?

BanditsMommy

Mouseketeer
Taking my son who will be 18 months to Disney for his first trip later this year. Having never gone with a baby, however, I'm not quite sure how the FP+ situation works when scheduling him for character meets. My husband and I never do photos with the characters except for our mandatory Crystal Palace reservation each trip so we're not really interested in getting photos ourselves, just for the baby. Does everyone need to have a FP for the meet, or just DS? Can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere.

Well he won't have a ticket so he won't get a FP. I'm pretty sure at least one of you will need a FP to enter the meet lines, because he can't enter a line by himself. If you're both going into the line, you both will need a FP.

You would both need a FP if you want to go with him in line. My DH and I just both went with our daughter.

Anyone entering a FP+ line needs a FP+ except children under 3 who do not have tickets and, therefore, will not have FP+.

What everyone else is saying. character meets are like any other FP, so if you both want to be there, you both need a FP.

Kids don’t need tickets until they are 3, and without a ticket you can’t make FPs. So your kiddo tags along in the FP line. This is true for character meets, shows, rides without height restrictions...anything you can do as a whole family.

What everyone else is saying. character meets are like any other FP, so if you both want to be there, you both need a FP.

Kids don’t need tickets until they are 3, and without a ticket you can’t make FPs. So your kiddo tags along in the FP line. This is true for character meets, shows, rides without height restrictions...anything you can do as a whole family.
This is a perfect breakdown! Thank you! I didn't even think about the fact that they don't get their own FP.

Would he even need a magic band then?

He will get a magic band but there isn't really any need for him to wear it. It is basically an additional room key.

Just something else to consider... your DS may not like characters. My boys were both fine with characters up to about a year old, then they became afraid of them. Last year my older son was turning 3 and was still tentative; we'll see how he does this year turning 4. If you will be disappointed "wasting" a fp if your son cries when he gets close to Mickey, you might want to consider using your fp for other attractions or doing a character meal instead so that at least if he isn't a character fan, you still got a meal out of it.

This is a perfect breakdown! Thank you! I didn't even think about the fact that they don't get their own FP.

exactly what westie said! yes, he’ll get a magic band but since he won’t have a ticket or FPs, it’s really just a nice keepsake.

If you're staying on site, he'll get one. I will warn you my 20 month old SCREAMED to wear hers...but then she kept taking it off.

Mine also did better with fur characters than face characters...

He will get a magic band but there isn't really any need for him to wear it. It is basically an additional room key.

Just something else to consider... your DS may not like characters. My boys were both fine with characters up to about a year old, then they became afraid of them. Last year my older son was turning 3 and was still tentative; we'll see how he does this year turning 4. If you will be disappointed "wasting" a fp if your son cries when he gets close to Mickey, you might want to consider using your fp for other attractions or doing a character meal instead so that at least if he isn't a character fan, you still got a meal out of it.

Oh no! We're staying at the Dolphin so I already bought ours and linked them since I thought he would need it for FPs! Ugh. Should have done more research.

Also, yeah we'll probably do one for Mickey on one of our first two days and see how it goes. If he hates it then we won't schedule any more, if he loves it, we'll get them for 4th+ FP on other days.

Oh no! We're staying at the Dolphin so I already bought ours and linked them since I thought he would need it for FPs! Ugh. Should have done more research.

Also, yeah we'll probably do one for Mickey on one of our first two days and see how it goes. If he hates it then we won't schedule any more, if he loves it, we'll get them for 4th+ FP on other days.

Just a word of warning when you go to book FPs, make sure to deselect his profile (I'm assuming he has one that you linked his MB to). It'll spit out an error message if he's in your booking group because there's no ticket necessary for the under 3 set.

Just a word of warning when you go to book FPs, make sure to deselect his profile (I'm assuming he has one that you linked his MB to). It'll spit out an error message if he's in your booking group because there's no ticket necessary for the under 3 set.

Oh thanks for the warning! This whole planning with a baby thing is new to me so I appreciate any tips or things to look out for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter