Who is to blame for this mistake?

Is it really that offensive? Actually it's hilarious. And the teacher gets the chance to explain to the class (and the parents) what Western attire means as applied to the entire hemisphere. Not sure there is the need to BLAME anybody.

Actually I thought you were probably kind of close to kid age yourself and just relating a story your Mom told you. Most of us semi-fat middle aged broads who've been parents for more than a bit just don't get all hysterical and angst over the thought of a 6th grader making a mistake at school. Blowing it into a huge deal seems rather odd, from a parent or a Teacher perspective because most of the Teachers I know LOVE IT when they give a project out and it actually comes back looking like the kids did it rather than the parents, even if it comes back to them imperfect.

But now I'm going with Troll too. :laughing:

I think the OP meant hysterical as in: :rotfl2: .

Dear OP, Did you call me a fat middle aged broad because I have over 1,000 posts? :sad:

I could totally see my sister calling me and telling me how weird she thought it was that people in Luxembourg dressed like cowboys. :lmao: She's goofy!

It really irritates me that I have to sign study guides & things for my DD's teachers and she is in 7th grade.

I absolutely agree... I would be mortified at the adults who found it necessary to laugh at children. And they wonder where kids get their bullyish behavior from... hope these kids don't hear about it the rest of their school days about the time they played John Wayne for International Day. Geesh, don't people have better things to do?

Bully? Really? Because some people got a chuckle about the mistake?

Well, I must be a HUGE bully then because I laughed at the mental picture. Thought it was funny as heck.

Oh, and I remember these things happening when I was in school. Little funny mistakes that everyone laughs about and become funny stories later on. Guess what? Not bullying at all.

And honestly... at least they left the room.

Bully? Really? Because some people got a chuckle about the mistake?

Well, I must be a HUGE bully then because I laughed at the mental picture. Thought it was funny as heck.

Oh, and I remember these things happening when I was in school. Little funny mistakes that everyone laughs about and become funny stories later on. Guess what? Not bullying at all.

And honestly... at least they left the room.

Well, I must be the QUEEN BULLY because not only did I laugh out loud at the mental picture, but if I'd actually been present when those kids walked out in their "Western Attire" I probably wouldn't have been able to stop myself from bursting out laughing.

Sorry, but that's some funny stuff right there. IMHO, nothing to be taken so seriously as to attempt to lay any blame with anyone.

If you Google the term Western Attire almost everything that comes up is for western wear. So it's understandable that 6th graders wouldn't know any better.

I find it odd that they didn't just google image search traditional clothes for that country.

But it doesn't surprise me. When I was at school a 17 year old asked if humble was a fruit. You know, because of humble pie.

This was in an English lesson. We all had a good laugh, and moved on. Seems this is a good anecdote to tell, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

P.s if you like this sort of thing search youtube for silly game show answers. They gave me a chuckle... I guess that makes me an evil person :) *cackling*

I could see ds11 doing this - so funny! Not only is he very independent with his school work, but he tends to get it wrong. He was Michael Jordan for the wax museum, and had to write a speech about his life. In the book he read, he learned that Michael's grandmother grew up on a farm, in the south. In his mind (after seeing many movies like Roots and Gone With the Wind), she must have been a slave, so wrote in his speech "my grandmother was a slave in the south."

Thank goodness he read it to us first, and we told him he was misinformed. :rotfl2: I'm sure his teachers have a lot to say about him.

Why blame anyone? The kids did the best they could and what they thought was correct. I don't find it mortifying at all. While they misread the information, their intentions were great.

I actually admire the parents that allow the KIDS to do their own work. Its 6th grade, not 2nd and parents needn't be hovering over every assignment...

I so agree with this!

I do not see any reason to blame anybody :confused3

The parents were (hopefully) not over-involved in the kids' homework and either did not do any of it, or simply helped find costume pieces when the kids said they needed to dress "Western" for school--without ever hearing mention of Luxembourg to know there might be an issue.

And the kids DID do research; they were simply unfamiliar with a term, and had good reason to think they DID know that term. I can easily imagine 11 year olds misinterpreting that.

I think it sounds like a simple "mistake" that is no big deal, no one should be blamed, and the whole class learned what the term "Western Attire" means. That is a teaching and learning win in my book.

I agree with this. I also really dislike the 'dress like...' assignments. In order for your grade to be positively affected, you either need to have a creative and crafty parent and/or enough cash to shell out to purchase something. That 'crafty' thing is not something that every parent can pull off, and lets be honest, the dress up assignment is not an assignment for the kids, it's a parental assignment.

6th grade why would parents get involved in kids homework??........ my kids have been doing their independently since 1st grade....... so no one is to blame..... its actually a cute story.....something they will be sharing with their kids one day....

I find it odd that they didn't just google image search traditional clothes for that country.

But it doesn't surprise me. When I was at school a 17 year old asked if humble was a fruit. You know, because of humble pie.

This was in an English lesson. We all had a good laugh, and moved on. Seems this is a good anecdote to tell, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

P.s if you like this sort of thing search youtube for silly game show answers. They gave me a chuckle... I guess that makes me an evil person :) *cackling*

My guess, as someone who teaches this very age group research skills, is that they read in their research that people in Luxembourg wear "western attire." Then they either assumed they knew what that meant, or they Googled that phrase. In either case, cowboy clothing was the natural and very logical result. They didn't know that the term has another, different, meaning.

I think what they did was absolutely adorable, and I seriously doubt that their teacher was embarrassed.

For those questioning why the teacher didn't check a rough draft, I doubt that a detailed description of the clothing would have been part of that. Most likely, they simply referred to "western attire." The teacher would have seen a correct statement and not questioned whether they actually understood the meaning of the term.

As for the parents, by that age, most kids are capable of pulling together that kind of costume themselves from leftover Halloween costumes and their younger siblings' dress-up trunk, so the parents probably didn't realize the mistake until it was too late. Most kids I know, when they do group projects, work things out among themselves, only asking for help if the don't know something or need something. These kids obviously felt they had a handle on that part of the project, so why would they ask for help?

As a teacher, I would not have said a word during their presentation after they explained that their research indicated WW. I would, however, pull them aside after everyone was done and give them a quick explanation of what it really meant, using humor to let them know that they did nothing wrong, they just made a small error. And then, when all the kids and parents were gone, I'd have a good laugh over this cute, funny incident.

My guess is lack of communication between parents and kids.

Or, the other possibility - the parents brain farted on "Western attire".

That would be my guess as well. There is no educational requirement for parenthood. At least they tried.:)

My guess, as someone who teaches this very age group research skills, is that they read in their research that people in Luxembourg wear "western attire." Then they either assumed they knew what that meant, or they Googled that phrase. In either case, cowboy clothing was the natural and very logical result. They didn't know that the term has another, different, meaning.

I think what they did was absolutely adorable, and I seriously doubt that their teacher was embarrassed.

For those questioning why the teacher didn't check a rough draft, I doubt that a detailed description of the clothing would have been part of that. Most likely, they simply referred to "western attire." The teacher would have seen a correct statement and not questioned whether they actually understood the meaning of the term.

As for the parents, by that age, most kids are capable of pulling together that kind of costume themselves from leftover Halloween costumes and their younger siblings' dress-up trunk, so the parents probably didn't realize the mistake until it was too late. Most kids I know, when they do group projects, work things out among themselves, only asking for help if the don't know something or need something. These kids obviously felt they had a handle on that part of the project, so why would they ask for help?

As a teacher, I would not have said a word during their presentation after they explained that their research indicated WW. I would, however, pull them aside after everyone was done and give them a quick explanation of what it really meant, using humor to let them know that they did nothing wrong, they just made a small error. And then, when all the kids and parents were gone, I'd have a good laugh over this cute, funny incident.

Agree.. my kids are older now.. but by 6th grade.. I was not asked to help at all with their homework...including any costume stuff

I literally would mortified if I sent my 11 year old to school in such incorrect attire. QUOTE]

Really? Seriously by that age would have expected my kid to do the project themselves and if they asked for *western wear* I would have gotten the box of Halloween stuff down from the attic and let them go through it.

I don't think there is any fault on anyone's part. These are children, not college students. They don't know everything. That is why they are in school. So they misinterpreted a description of what was typically worn in that country. No big deal , IMO. Now they know the different meanings of "western attire". Lesson learned and time to move on. Hopefully they will be able to look back and laugh at this.

And good for the parents for keeping the helicopter hangered.

I did not read the whole thread so this may have already been said. I am guessing the children who made the mistake did their own homework and the children with the elaborate dress done correctly had parents helping the kids do THEIR work more than they should have. I would have found the situation cute and given these children kudo's for having done the assignment on their own.

I see a learning / teaching opportunity. I wouldn't worry about blame.

As it should be!

That's hilarious! Sorry, but I'm pretty sure I'd laugh. No need to place blame though--it's just a funny kid goof.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest