Who has better prices: Winn Dixie or Publix?

2Pirates2Princesses

DIS Veteran
Even though we will have the quick service dining plan, we are planning on making a grocery store stop to get bottled water, mountain dew, juiceboxes, milk, and breakfast foods on our arrival day and I am wondering if Publix or Winn Dixie has the better prices. We are looking for a grocery store closest to Pop Century that doesn't have marked up "tourist prices" on everything. I know Wal Mart has low prices, but I am afraid that if we go to Wal Mart we will wander around and overspend (especially on souvenirs :laughing:). I know we can order from Garden Grocer, but I am wondering if it would be more economical to just make a grocery store stop, that way we can see and pick out exactly what we need and not have to make an extra trip. Thanks :thumbsup2

I know this isn't exactly your answer, but we've always found the QSDP to be plenty of food and drinks for all of us. We've never had to spend another cent out of pocket on food with the QSDP. Also, you can get water as your drinks with breakfast (I think two), especially since you'll have the mugs. I've actually had snack credits left on the very last day that I then used for souvies. Hope that helps!

I prefer Publix, don't know if they are cheaper but their produce seems better. If you decide to use a grocery delivery service I highly recommend WEGO Shop. I used them in December, they were wonderful.

Even though we will have the quick service dining plan, we are planning on making a grocery store stop to get bottled water, mountain dew, juiceboxes, milk, and breakfast foods on our arrival day and I am wondering if Publix or Winn Dixie has the better prices. We are looking for a grocery store closest to Pop Century that doesn't have marked up "tourist prices" on everything. I know Wal Mart has low prices, but I am afraid that if we go to Wal Mart we will wander around and overspend (especially on souvenirs :laughing:). I know we can order from Garden Grocer, but I am wondering if it would be more economical to just make a grocery store stop, that way we can see and pick out exactly what we need and not have to make an extra trip. Thanks :thumbsup2

Winn Dixie is usually the cheaper of the two, not by much. I only shop sales at Winn Dixie and Publix (B1G1). There is a Walmart just off 535 and one on Turkey Lake Rd. Walmart will have the best prices.

Yep. Winn Dixie is usually cheaper though they are pretty close. Publix are just nicer stores. I suggest that you look at www.iheartpublix.com for the sales and coupon matchups for the week you will be there. I can get all sorts of food at Publix for next to nothing using coupons.

They run about even over all. I shop both fairly frequently. I Refuse to set foot in a Walmart anymore, and when I did, they were cheaper on some things but Publix was cheaper on others, Plus you are healthier if you go to either Winn Dixie or Publix, because if you go to Walmart it will make you want to kill someone. lol

Go to walmart. It is only a couple miles further down the road and they have a great Disney souvenir section. If you are driving, on the way back to Disney you will pass a outlet store mall on the right side of the road. You will find a Disney character store in the mall. They have tons of Disney junk. Most are super small sizes or out of date designs but they also carry tons of Polo style Disney shirts in all sizes. I wear a 4x and was able to have a pretty nice choice in shirts (I bought 4)... To answer your question...Winn Dixie is cheaper and tend to have better quality meats. Go to walmart. :)

I find winn dixie cheaper most of the time but i won't by certain things there, like cold cuts. I have to go to Publix because the ones at winn Dixie kind of gross me out. join the rewards club so you can get the promotion pricing on all the sales. It's usually 10 cents here, B1G1 free there. It really adds up!

You don't have to join Publix' membership program to get the sale prices and BOGOs, although it's free to join.

Queen Colleen

I find winn dixie cheaper most of the time but i won't by certain things there, like cold cuts. I have to go to Publix because the ones at winn Dixie kind of gross me out. join the rewards club so you can get the promotion pricing on all the sales. It's usually 10 cents here, B1G1 free there. It really adds up!
I meant the program at Winn Dixie, sorry if that was unclear.

Personally I like Publix better, I love their BOGO deals! I believe the closest to Pop Century is over by the Gaylord Palms, which is right over the I-4 bridge, it will be south of the Gaylords on the northeast corner. There is also a Walgreens on the opposite side of the road.

W/D and Publix are very close on prices. A lot depends on what is on sale at which store, as well as the current phase of the Moon.

I will forever love and miss Publix. I just can't stand the quality/condition of Winn Dixie. And I'm also not a fan of going into Wal-Mart for groceries, I don't find that their "every day low prices" beat out Publix weekly savings. And there's no card/rewards thing for Publix.

From Pop Century, Publix will be your closest grocery store. Winn Dixie is north of the property on 535 and way out of the way. Here's a handy dandy map for you...
map.jpg

The blue lines are roads in and out of Disney property. From POP, head south on Victory Way, make a left on Osceola PKWY. After the bridge to I-4, make a right after Gaylord Palms onto International Dr South. Publix will be on your left just before reaching 192. (even though the map doesn't show it, POP is just on the south side of Caribbean Beach Resort.

As for gas, I find that the Hess Stations are comparable in price to the Race Trac stations outside the property. And avoid the Chevron, they charge a premium, plus more for credit card users.

I will forever love and miss Publix. I just can't stand the quality/condition of Winn Dixie. And I'm also not a fan of going into Wal-Mart for groceries, I don't find that their "every day low prices" beat out Publix weekly savings. And there's no card/rewards thing for Publix.

From Pop Century, Publix will be your closest grocery store. Winn Dixie is north of the property on 535 and way out of the way. Here's a handy dandy map for you...
map.jpg

The blue lines are roads in and out of Disney property. From POP, head south on Victory Way, make a left on Osceola PKWY. After the bridge to I-4, make a right after Gaylord Palms onto International Dr South. Publix will be on your left just before reaching 192. (even though the map doesn't show it, POP is just on the south side of Caribbean Beach Resort.

As for gas, I find that the Hess Stations are comparable in price to the Race Trac stations outside the property. And avoid the Chevron, they charge a premium, plus more for credit card users.

Thank you for posting this. I think we will go to Publix since it is closest to Pop and has better quality food but comparable prices to Winn Dixie from what everyone has suggested. Again, we want to avoid going into a Wal Mart because we always end up overspending (time and money) when we go in there which defeats the purpose of trying to save a few bucks. I know if we go into Wal Mart we will end up gravitating towards all the Disney souvenirs which we don't want to do.

Again, we want to avoid going into a Wal Mart because we always end up overspending (time and money) when we go in there which defeats the purpose of trying to save a few bucks. I know if we go into Wal Mart we will end up gravitating towards all the Disney souvenirs which we don't want to do.

Boy ain't this the truth. I never go into that store and leave w/o spending a couple hundred dollars... That Publix is a nice store. If interested, if you turn right at that light there is a Golden Corral a little down the road (directly across from the entrance to Celebration). If you go for lunch you can eat pretty cheap. The food isn't great but not bad. The three of us can eat for around $25... It is hard to do Disney on a budget and i hope you succeed. good luck

I shop both at home, 75% or so at Publix, the rest at WD. You do have to have a WD rewards card to get their deals, not so at Publix. WD also has meat BOGO often. That said, the WD here is much nicer than many WD I have visited in other cities and states, but I can't speak for any of the ones near WDW.

I visited the Winn Dixie on 535 and it is the closest grocery store to Disney. they have a salad bar wing bar full deli and good prices. Must be a newer store because it was beautiful and the people working their go out of they way to help you. I had to get a discount card but I got it right at the register.
good luck I did get a cab to the store but it was really close . winn dixie 407-465-8600

FYI - In Florida, BOGO means just that, buy one, get one free. You can't just buy one at half price! :)

Both stores start their sales on Wendesday. Before you go you could check out the stores sale ads online and see which store has what you are looking for on sale. :)

I visited the Winn Dixie on 535 and it is the closest grocery store to Disney. they have a salad bar wing bar full deli and good prices. Must be a newer store because it was beautiful and the people working their go out of they way to help you. I had to get a discount card but I got it right at the register.
good luck I did get a cab to the store but it was really close . winn dixie 407-465-8600

I was in there yesterday. One register open, employees standing around doing nothing while a line formed at the one open register. And I was over charged. Go around the corner to Walmart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter