Which would you choose: Disney or Universal private tour?

jeffers102

Earning My Ears
I've seen a lot of posts about VIP for Disney and Universal, but not about choosing one over the other.

Trip Breakdown
I am going to Orlando in September for a week and will spend most of my time at Universal. We're booked at HRH for the duration, so we will have express passes. We are doing MNSSH and HHN one night each and then during the day plan to spend 4 days at US/IoA, 1 day at VB, and 1 day at Disney with park hopper. I have decided to splurge and do a private VIP tour one day and can't decide if it should be at Disney or Universal. Which would you choose? Has anyone done both?

Our group is 4-5 people, so we would need just 1 guide regardless of which we choose. My wife isn't into "thrill" rides and wants to stay away from VelociCoaster. Since we are spending so many days at Universal as it is, even though it's true front of line, we absolutely will have time to do all the rides we want multiple times and not miss out as it is. Given it's just 1 day (outside of MNSSH) at Disney, I'm leaning towards doing that, especially as I know without it, we'd miss out on rides. Also, the thought of not worrying about Genie+/LL is very appealing. But I feel the Disney VIP is lower value than Universal VIP (and round and round I go with indecision :laughing:)

We haven't done a VIP tour at Universal and probably will never need one. I feel that 3 full days and Express Passes are sufficient to do everything there.

Three days at Disney, in contrast, make me feel like I've accomplished nothing. I'm starting to believe that VIP tours are the only way to survive, I mean enjoy their parks.

I've seen a lot of posts about VIP for Disney and Universal, but not about choosing one over the other.

Trip Breakdown
I am going to Orlando in September for a week and will spend most of my time at Universal. We're booked at HRH for the duration, so we will have express passes. We are doing MNSSH and HHN one night each and then during the day plan to spend 4 days at US/IoA, 1 day at VB, and 1 day at Disney with park hopper. I have decided to splurge and do a private VIP tour one day and can't decide if it should be at Disney or Universal. Which would you choose? Has anyone done both?

Our group is 4-5 people, so we would need just 1 guide regardless of which we choose. My wife isn't into "thrill" rides and wants to stay away from VelociCoaster. Since we are spending so many days at Universal as it is, even though it's true front of line, we absolutely will have time to do all the rides we want multiple times and not miss out as it is. Given it's just 1 day (outside of MNSSH) at Disney, I'm leaning towards doing that, especially as I know without it, we'd miss out on rides. Also, the thought of not worrying about Genie+/LL is very appealing. But I feel the Disney VIP is lower value than Universal VIP (and round and round I go with indecision :laughing:)
I wouldn't do the VIP at Universal again unless we did a fully private tour where we could request all the behind the scenes attraction tours.

We took our 13 year old nephew to Universal for his birthday last year and he wanted to ride as many thrill rides as possible. It was my wife (44) and me (45), plus our nephew (13). We stayed at RP and had express pass for the week. We then did the regular VIP tour on his birthday as a treat. They offer a private tour as well for much more $.

We'd all been there before but none of us had done any of the backstage tours. I thought there would be more "tour" of the park. I was disappointed that it was just a front of the line trip around the parks.

We rode more rides per day with express pass the other days than going to the front of the line with the VIP tour. We were in a group with other people so someone needed to get a drink, or use the restroom, or look at their photos. It was a pretty slow process gathering up everyone to go to the next ride. You also only get one ride at each attraction. With express, we often ride things two or three times in a row, especially if we've already put stuff in lockers.

VIP tours are cool and they're still fun. Kids think they're pretty special skipping the lines entirely. If you want a relaxing day around the parks where you can ride almost everything with no wait, then a VIP tour might be for you. If your group is willing to hustle between rides and ride as many things as possible, then express is a better option.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do the VIP at Universal again unless we did a fully private tour where we could request all the behind the scenes attraction tours.

We took our 13 year old nephew to Universal for his birthday last year and he wanted to ride as many thrill rides as possible. It was my wife (44) and me (45), plus our nephew (13). We stayed at RP and had express pass for the week. We then did the regular VIP tour on his birthday as a treat. They offer a private tour as well for much more $.

We'd all been there before but none of us had done any of the backstage tours. I thought there would be more "tour" of the park. I was disappointed that it was just a front of the line trip around the parks.

We rode more rides per day with express pass the other days than going to the front of the line with the VIP tour. We were in a group with other people so someone needed to get a drink, or use the restroom, or look at their photos. It was a pretty slow process gathering up everyone to go to the next ride. You also only get one ride at each attraction. With express, we often ride things two or three times in a row, especially if we've already put stuff in lockers.

VIP tours are cool and they're still fun. Kids think they're pretty special skipping the lines entirely. If you want a relaxing day around the parks where you can ride almost everything with no wait, then a VIP tour might be for you. If your group is willing to hustle between rides and ride as many things as possible, then express is a better option.
This would 100% be a private VIP that I would do. I really agree that with unlimited EP you really do get to do a LOT of rides. Also, you answered a question I've always wondered, which was do the regular VIP tours wait when someone wants a drink or has to go to the bathroom. In my head, I expected there to be designated breaks for that so one person didn't hold up an entire tour!

This would 100% be a private VIP that I would do. I really agree that with unlimited EP you really do get to do a LOT of rides. Also, you answered a question I've always wondered, which was do the regular VIP tours wait when someone wants a drink or has to go to the bathroom. In my head, I expected there to be designated breaks for that so one person didn't hold up an entire tour!
They tried to. Doesn't mean a kid will say they don't need to go and then 5 minutes later say "I need to pee".

I am big fans of both WDW and Uni, but I've never done a VIP. I would do Disney since you are only there one day. That would allow you to do a whole lot in one day in multiple parks with zero stress. You will have plenty of time to do everything you want at Uni with EPs that time of year. The only real benefit at Uni would be skipping the lines at Hagrid's and Velocicoaster. To me, that's not worth it. Meanwhile, everyone is complaining about wait times and the Genie/LL system at WDW. It wouldn't be a close call at all for me. Have fun whichever you choose!

Last edited:
Thanks Meredith, what you outlined is what my thought process was too! I'm already stressing about booking the tour exactly 60 days out 😨

We did both, even the Disney VIP was in Disneyland. Staying at Universal you will not need a VIP Tour, you can do all rides easily and the behind the scenes visits, well, it was nice and interesting but not worth the money at all. At Disney you can do a lot more with your guide, especially when you only go for one day. Maybe you can even visit all parks an pick your favorite rides. Go for Disney!

I am also going in September. My group is doing two days at Disney, one at Universal and one flex day (some people are doing Islands of Adventure, some are doing Sea World, some are hitting up Disney Springs or chilling at our Disney resort that day). We have ten of us doing a Disney VIP Tour on Wednesday and then a group doing the RIP tour for HHN on Thursday night.

I've never done the private Disney VIP tour but that was the priority for my group this trip. I have done the public RIP tours and public two park tour at Universal. I enjoyed the VIP tour at Universal, but I agree with your assertion that you can do everything you want in the time you say you have. Other people can slow down the group a little and you are subject to the whims of the group. I only had one day the time I did the tour and had not been to Islands of Adventure in about ten years. My brother and his girlfriend just went to Universal, did the tour, and swear that is the only way they will do a park again.

The RIP tours have been among my favorite. Since I have a whole group of people this time I am doing a private, but I really like the public RIP tour as well. The best part to me about repeatability for these tours is that each year the houses/scare zones change so it is always a bit different. I look forward to having a little more control with it being a private group this year (Since I like including rides on tours, Revenge of the Mummy after a Mummy maze anyone?), but the audience doing the public tours is usually pretty dedicated to doing all the HHN events as well so you don't run into as many divergent interests.

So, at Universal you do not need the VIP tour. We did it last year for Christmas Day, but didn’t really need it… we went back with our Express passes only on Dec 26 and hit everything we wanted again… Hagrids you need early entry (which we did). In the future, about the only time we plan to book VIP for Universal is HHN.

Disney.,, the VIP tour is def. worth it since there is nothing like the express pass option,

So, at Universal you do not need the VIP tour. We did it last year for Christmas Day, but didn’t really need it… we went back with our Express passes only on Dec 26 and hit everything we wanted again… Hagrids you need early entry (which we did). In the future, about the only time we plan to book VIP for Universal is HHN.

Disney.,, the VIP tour is def. worth it since there is nothing like the express pass option,

Out of curiosity, can you get a private VIP tour for HHN? I already bought express passes for the night we are doing HHN, so we should be set as it is. I'm beyond excited, as I've never done MNSSH or HHN and everyone who has gone says HHN is AMAZING!

Out of curiosity, can you get a private VIP tour for HHN?
Yes, and it's awesome! Unlimited front of the line access (not just EP lines, literal front of the line), reserved show seating at a great location, much shorter walks to the houses, snacks/"dinner"/desserts/non-booze drinks included, private bar stops (private bathrooms), tidbits about the houses from the guide, valet parking, separate private entrance.

Yes, and it's awesome! Unlimited front of the line access (not just EP lines, literal front of the line), reserved show seating at a great location, much shorter walks to the houses, snacks/"dinner"/desserts/non-booze drinks included, private bar stops (private bathrooms), tidbits about the houses from the guide, valet parking, separate private entrance.

Man, that sounds amazing!

We have done both. Universal private vip was super helpful when we only had 1 day, were unfamiliar with the parks, and wanted to do a lot, but honestly even with a sit down lunch (not recommended) and repeating hagrids 4x and the new dinosaur coaster we ran out of stuff to do. I actually left the tour because I don’t like most of the ride types at universal and just wanted to hang out in Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley. Disney VIP on the other hand is an amazing day but money always runs out before our desires do.

We have done both. Universal private vip was super helpful when we only had 1 day, were unfamiliar with the parks, and wanted to do a lot, but honestly even with a sit down lunch (not recommended) and repeating hagrids 4x and the new dinosaur coaster we ran out of stuff to do. I actually left the tour because I don’t like most of the ride types at universal and just wanted to hang out in Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley. Disney VIP on the other hand is an amazing day but money always runs out before our desires do.
Thanks for those details, I'm pretty much set on the Disney VIP :)

Trip Breakdown

Trip Breakdown

Hello! My family went to Universal Studios Orlando and Disney World for Spring Break 2022 and we did Private VIP tours for both. Universal is def more bang for your buck since there’s only two parks to cover and breakfast, lunch, and sit down dinner are included as well as 10% off all purchases. However, since you have so many days at Universal and only one true park day at Disney, I would totally do Disney instead. Like you said, who wants to worry about Genie+ or Lightning Lane? On our Disney VIP tour, we only were able to hit two parks, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, we rushed to Epcot and we’re only able to ride Ratatouille before our time was up, but at least we got dropped off in a VIP section for their night fireworks show. We had the VIP tour for the maximum 10 hours too.

Hello! My family went to Universal Studios Orlando and Disney World for Spring Break 2022 and we did Private VIP tours for both. Universal is def more bang for your buck since there’s only two parks to cover and breakfast, lunch, and sit down dinner are included as well as 10% off all purchases. However, since you have so many days at Universal and only one true park day at Disney, I would totally do Disney instead. Like you said, who wants to worry about Genie+ or Lightning Lane? On our Disney VIP tour, we only were able to hit two parks, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, we rushed to Epcot and we’re only able to ride Ratatouille before our time was up, but at least we got dropped off in a VIP section for their night fireworks show. We had the VIP tour for the maximum 10 hours too.
Wow, just the 2 parks in 10 hours? I am booked with Disney on a Tuesday and the plan we discussed was to start at Galaxy's edge and then hit AK and finish at Epcot (we'll see MK during MNSSH). Haven't decided if we will go until the fireworks. Was the VIP section completely unobstructed? My wife is really short, so an unobstructed view would be huge. One plus, the day we are going is the cheapest rate they offer, so I am more inclined to do the full 10 hours too.

Wow, just the 2 parks in 10 hours? I am booked with Disney on a Tuesday and the plan we discussed was to start at Galaxy's edge and then hit AK and finish at Epcot (we'll see MK during MNSSH). Haven't decided if we will go until the fireworks. Was the VIP section completely unobstructed? My wife is really short, so an unobstructed view would be huge. One plus, the day we are going is the cheapest rate they offer, so I am more inclined to do the full 10 hours too.
MK takes a lot of time. You should be totally fine with AK and Epcot because there just isn't that much to do, even if you spend the majority of the time at HS. Remember transfers take time, even with the guide, so factor in at least 30 minutes between parks.

Congratulations on VIP. It's a fantastic experience.

MK takes a lot of time. You should be totally fine with AK and Epcot because there just isn't that much to do, even if you spend the majority of the time at HS. Remember transfers take time, even with the guide, so factor in at least 30 minutes between parks.

Congratulations on VIP. It's a fantastic experience.
Yes, it was unobstructed, there’s not assigned seating but there are picnic style tables, about 6 and you can pick where you want to sit in a roped off area. It’s right in front of Karamel Kuche store where they make amazing fresh caramel desserts. We mobile ordered and had some fresh caramel popcorn to enjoy during the fireworks show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter