Which resort is best for renting out points?

Knh711

Earning My Ears
We already own and BLT and are considering adding an additional contract. As we are deciding how much to buy, we are considering buying a bit over as far as points go, so that we can rent them out if they are not used. That being said, we were trying to find which resorts are best to rent out? We are torn between VGF, CCV and RIV at the moment.
Thank you! :)

Direct vs resale will make a difference. RIV resale will limit you. I think if you are using for renting, you need to look at the best value for your dollar. What’s the cheapest deal. RIV is new and lots of people seem to like it but has high point charts, VGF will have a lot of new “studios” available.

I think you're overthinking it. Beach Club would probably be the easiest to rent out, but it's also going to cost you more than other contracts upfront, negating any benefit. All points rent equally at 7 months out.

I'm anti-RIV because of the resale restrictions (and I just don't like it very much), so if I'm you I'm looking at VGF and CCV resale.

Only considering from a rental perspective, I would probably consider Poly resale. From what I’ve heard, those rooms seem to rent well (studios do in general). Plus the market is fairly saturated with Poly contracts now, so I think you can find some better deals, and usually Poly won’t be taken in ROFR - getting you to a fairly low price per point. Additionally yearly dues aren’t too high at Poly. However, if you are not interesting in a Poly contact for personal use, this probably wouldn’t make sense.

Only considering from a rental perspective, I would probably consider Poly resale. From what I’ve heard, those rooms seem to rent well (studios do in general). Plus the market is fairly saturated with Poly contracts now, so I think you can find some better deals, and usually Poly won’t be taken in ROFR - getting you to a fairly low price per point. Additionally yearly dues aren’t too high at Poly. However, if you are not interesting in a Poly contact for personal use, this probably wouldn’t make sense.
The Poly points chart gives me anxiety. So few owners have enough points to ever get a Bungalow, that all the demand is concentrated in a single room type.

we are considering buying a bit over as far as points go, so that we can rent them out if they are not used.
Every time I do the math on this, I'm better off taking that extra money and dropping it into a low-fee stock index fund---and renting is more work than ignoring my fund return statements. YMMV.

Buying a cushion of points is a good idea, but mostly because it lets you extend a trip or book a larger unit/better view now and then. Renting points out when you get stuck with some is a fine idea. But, planning to do so regularly maybe not.

The top $/pt on renting is generally for the cheapest to get rooms (and BCV but even then that math is hard to make work if buying now). Of those 3, I would probably say CCV could bring the best return on rentals IF you can book studios and especially in early December to rent out. This all assumes renting privately because through brokers there isn't really any difference between the majority of resorts.

I think you're overthinking it. Beach Club would probably be the easiest to rent out, but it's also going to cost you more than other contracts upfront, negating any benefit. All points rent equally at 7 months out.

I'm anti-RIV because of the resale restrictions (and I just don't like it very much), so if I'm you I'm looking at VGF and CCV resale.
Thank you for the feedback, but we are only interested in the 3 resorts mentioned :)

Thank you for the feedback, but we are only interested in the 3 resorts mentioned :)
That's my point. You asked which resorts rent the easiest, but you've already eliminated the resort that rents the easiest, so you're best to make your decision on other factors.

Direct vs resale will make a difference. RIV resale will limit you. I think if you are using for renting, you need to look at the best value for your dollar. What’s the cheapest deal. RIV is new and lots of people seem to like it but has high point charts, VGF will have a lot of new “studios” available.
We would be buying Riviera direct in this case, and then using it to maybe get 3 nights in a grand villa toward the end of our stay and then renting the rest to get some of it back in case we want to resell that contract down the road

That's my point. You asked which resorts rent the easiest, but you've already eliminated the resort that rents the easiest, so you're best to make your decision on other factors.
Right, and thats why we eliminated BCV. It's obvious that rents the best, based on the demand we see for the resort, but the expiration is a big factor for us. That's why we want to focus on the 2 newest, as well as the one that is expanding, in case we decide to resell down the road, so we were curious what rented the best out of those 3.

"best to rent out" can have a few meanings? Are you looking for the best ROI? Easiest rental experience? If you end up with 50 points extra and want to get rid of them fast or is this we're buying 400 points but planning on using 200 and renting 200 to cover the dues? Are you using a broker or renting them yourself?

I'm not crunching any numbers or anything, but I want to say AKV rents really really well. Lots of rooms, good demand. The financial numbers on it are probably terrible though with the dues compared other resorts. BLT or any of the monorail resorts are probably solid if you're looking for 11 month bookings. VGF might be my pick out of your 3. The resort isn't my cup of tea personally, but it should rent pretty strong.

We're ideally planning for enough points that we could use for a few nights in a 3 grand at the end of our stay, and rent the rest (if there is any) or if we plan a trip in a higher season and don't have enough to make those nights worth it, then we would do a confirmed reservation for a studio or 1 br and rent those out. Also, we are planning to buy direct, so renting the points out would help recoup some of the loss we'd take if we would decide it's not necessary and want to resell down the road

You may be better served looking into "One Time Use Points" and save the rest of the expenses.

Buying extra for a cushion is a solid idea. I thought I did, but all of a sudden, I'm thinking to add a little on. But if you're doing it to rent out the extra and recoup a little money, in my opinion, it's not a great deal. Some will not agree. You can work with 3rd parties to rent out your extra points, but you're return on investment in those points are a fraction of what they're worth, and if you rent them out yourself, there's risks and time wasted in that process, too. And another thought I've had since purchasing is, I bought in thinking I would rent enough to cover a portion of my, if not all, dues, but in my estimation, that value get's worse and worse every year. Dues go up like clockwork, but I don't see rental costs following suit. So, to some extent, I'm renting more and more of my points to cover dues, and getting less and less out of my experience. I know over the years, rental costs pp has gone up some, but I don't believe at the rate of dues ( I could be wrong, I've not done the math), so, in my opinion, buying in with the intention of renting to recoup funds is not a sound strategy. Just my thoughts on it. Now, when/if, I have extra, absolutely, but aside from the pandemic, I dont find myself having issues finding use for my points. One day you're staying in studios, the next somehow you can't get away from 2BRs.

I have never had trouble renting out our unused Old Key West points. the rooms are the largest with the studios also having 2 queen beds.

Where do YOU want to stay, and have that home priority for? That I think should be a key factor!

Also, keep in mind that what rents today may not rent the easiest in the future.

Of your list, I would put them in order of:
1. CCV -- it's very popular in the fall season, especially Christmas, and it has a "legacy point chart." People looking to rent are often looking to spend less, so favorable point charts are a win. If you're able to snag studios to rent out, you'll find demand for them.
2. RIV -- it's the new resort, it has skyliner access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, its studios are the 2nd largest in WDW. And starting 2/1/2042, it will be the only EPCOT DVC resort (until/unless Disney flips BCV and BWV. But RIV's point chart will probably look like a sweet legacy point chart at that time!)
3. VGF -- Disney is converting a building here because they are struggling to fill rooms. It's entirely possible that there will be a huge demand for VGF studios because renting is much less expensive than booking a room direct, but I also wonder if the demand just isn't there? It has a high point chart, expires in 2064 (BEFORE both CCV and RIV), though it IS on the monorail and now has that walking path to the Magic Kingdom.

Honestly they all rent out well. VGF may rent for $1-2 more a point, but not a huge difference really. Just buy the resort you want and if you have extra points they will be super easy to rent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!