which one is better Hong Kong or Shanghai

Which is better ?

• Hong Kong Disneyland

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Shanghai Disneyland

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters

My vote is for HKDL.

I love the PoTC ride in SHDL, but the size of the park overwhelmed me. Plus, because it's still relatively new, the number of guests was also overwhelming. It was't bad inside the park, but I hated the crowd while queuing to get in :scared:

I love HKDL because it's quieter. I felt like I can enjoy the park fully. And I really love their nighttime entertainment :love:

That's a tough one.

Hong Kong is more ... quintessentially "Disney". It's also usually quieter. And the backdrop of the mountains makes the park as a whole a lot prettier.

But, Shanghai has a lot going for it as well, like innovative new rides (e.g. Pirates and TRON) and it's own unique Disney style with Chinese influence.

I'd probably give Hong Kong the win ever so slightly. And that mainly comes down to the crowds, etiquette / cultural issues, the cast members and food in Shanghai.

Voted for HKDL but but here's a breakdown by category:

Shanghai wins in shows, rides, food, Disney Town, hours/closures, phone app
Hong Kong wins in events, merchandise, characters, guests, CMs, annual passholder benefits, layout, convenience from the city, freebies, pin trading

Can't compare hotels since I haven't been to the ones in Shanghai. Shanghai has more things that I would describe as "impressive" but in my opinion, Hong Kong provides an overall better experience for a 1 day trip.

That's a tough one.

Hong Kong is more ... quintessentially "Disney". It's also usually quieter. And the backdrop of the mountains makes the park as a whole a lot prettier.

But, Shanghai has a lot going for it as well, like innovative new rides (e.g. Pirates and TRON) and it's own unique Disney style with Chinese influence.

I'd probably give Hong Kong the win ever so slightly. And that mainly comes down to the crowds, etiquette / cultural issues, the cast members and food in Shanghai.

That's exactly how my family felt after visiting both parks. While on paper Shanghai is the better park because it's brand new with all new technology, we had a vastly better time at HKDL because of the difference in crowds and cultural differences. Shanghai could be downright unpleasant at times.

I've been to both. I enjoy HKDL and think it's cute and small, but I really really loved Shanghai DL! Tron, Pirates, the huge beautiful castle, the fireworks, Toy Story Hotel, Disneytown dining all factor into it.

Enjoyed both for different reasons. If I had one day; i would pick Hong Kong, if I was on a longer vacation Shanghai.

Only been to Hong Kong and that was the week it opened so a lot of things have changed since away back then.

Only been to Hong Kong and that was the week it opened so a lot of things have changed since away back then.

That must have been a rude awakening. I counted only 9 rides on opening day? Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Pooh, Tea cup, Carousel, Dumbo, Orbitron, Buzz and Space Mountain.

That must have been a rude awakening. I counted only 9 rides on opening day? Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Pooh, Tea cup, Carousel, Dumbo, Orbitron, Buzz and Space Mountain.

I can’t remember riding on any of the rides but do remember the food! They had mango pudding in a Mickey head container and dim sum which was delicious. I bought a t-shirt (which I’ve still got in pristine condition as never worn).

Also remember the train as the windows were Mickey heads and there was a Jiminy Cricket statuette in the corner of the carriage.

Would love to go back to see how it’s changed since then.

If I were to choose between one of the two, it would be HKDL over Shanghai. SDL is great, but it's a bit overwhelming and too over the top for me. HK is smaller, more intimate, more "Disney" as PPs have said, and the crowds are more behaved though you're sure to find your fair share of Chinese mainlanders there too.

I'm surprised at all the love for HKDL. While I liked the park, I was rather bored on the 2nd day, stayed overnight at the Disneyland Hotel.

I haven't been to Shanghai yet so it's possible I'll feel the same but HKDL is my least favorite Disney Park, and I've been to all the others (Paris, Florida, California, and Tokyo).

I'm surprised at all the love for HKDL. While I liked the park, I was rather bored on the 2nd day, stayed overnight at the Disneyland Hotel.

I don't doubt that you'd be bored on the 2nd day. I tend to recommend HKDL as a 1 day park, given its size. I've never stayed at the HK Disneyland Hotel, as a day trip from the city will usually suffice.

I don't doubt that you'd be bored on the 2nd day. I tend to recommend HKDL as a 1 day park, given its size. I've never stayed at the HK Disneyland Hotel, as a day trip from the city will usually suffice.

To be honest, I also had trouble finding a good place to eat at HKDL. I eventually settled on a place and the food was okay, nothing mind blowing. And I checked all the reviews beforehand. Still had trouble finding a place that was going to be really good. That was unusual for me as I always found places I liked to eat at in all the other Disney parks.

To be honest, I also had trouble finding a good place to eat at HKDL. I eventually settled on a place and the food was okay, nothing mind blowing. And I checked all the reviews beforehand. Still had trouble finding a place that was going to be really good. That was unusual for me as I always found places I liked to eat at in all the other Disney parks.

I have to admit that the food at Shanghai was far superior to that in HKDL though, but the overall experience in HK park was more "disney" like many have said.

I voted for Shanghai. Although I much preferred the food options at HKDL (because we're Jewish and don't eat pork, which meant that the halal-certified restaurants were a HUGE bonus for us) as well as the merch there, I think that Shanghai's lands have a much stronger sense of identity than do Hong Kong's. HK has a lot of the same issues that I think DCA has have in terms of feeling like things are thrown in wherever there's room based on what's popular right now rather than an actual plan. Take Tomorrowland for example: the old Disneyland candy-ball planets (which I love, don't get me wrong), signs for the "Star Wars Takeover!" from several years ago + Hyperspace Mountain, then the Marvel overlays of other rides...Or Fantasyland, where a lot of it has this great Victorian gazebo feeling and then there are two random buildings in Tudor-cabin style for no good reason. Shanghai, at least for the moment, feels much more visually planned. Now, part of that is that Shanghai hasn't been open as long and therefore doesn't have the new-attraction-fit-in issue the way HK does, though HK isn't all that old and shouldn't have as much of the issue as it does. Shanghai is also just stunningly beautiful, and I love not only the level of detail but the fact that you can see the weenies from across the park (in a tantalizing rather than world-shattering way IMO). And ride-wise, while I can compare Grizzley versus Tron and come out close, Pirates beats MM by a landslide. Plus part of what makes it feel "like a Disney vacation" for us is not having to leave the bubble, which we can do at Shanghai thanks to their lower-tier hotel, but we can't do at HK. With all of that said, I am looking forward to visiting in a few years and seeing how the changes in that time may alter my opinion.

Plus part of what makes it feel "like a Disney vacation" for us is not having to leave the bubble, which we can do at Shanghai thanks to their lower-tier hotel, but we can't do at HK. With all of that said, I am looking forward to visiting in a few years and seeing how the changes in that time may alter my opinion.

This is the one thing Disney seem to overlook lately. Not every family can afford staying at the deluxe hotels. Having value hotels in a Disney Resort is a boon but lately Disney only build deluxe hotels. Sooner or later, only rich families can live in a Disney hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!