which one is better Hong Kong or Shanghai

Discussion in 'Other Lands' started by AdamEfimoff, Aug 19, 2018.

?

Which is better ?

1. Hong Kong Disneyland

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Shanghai Disneyland

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. AquaDame

AquaDame Disney Cruise Line Moderator

Agree one thousand percent. I'd happily go back to Hong Kong (even if the smell of their downtown area made me want to cry it was so pungent) but can leave Shanghai for now. They have a few rides that are more advanced but with Tron opening at WDW soon its really only Pirates that I long for. One ride isn't enough to deal with the downsides whereas HK was calmer and had better food/merchandise. I also REALLY loved their versions of big thunder and the haunted mansion... I'd love to see them somewhere stateside too!

2. OldSchoolReasons

OldSchoolReasons DIS Veteran

Please elaborate on the pungent smell ...

Sherry Berry likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. AquaDame

AquaDame Disney Cruise Line Moderator

Sewage basically... there are a few other smells but they were far more infrequent. I wasn't surprised when we passed a large facility on the way to Disney and I smelled it for awhile but it was all over downtown too. I also wasn't a fan of all the air conditioners dripping on my head but quickly learned to watch where I walked and stay under cover or away from the buildings so that was manageable. The smell though... I couldn't seem to escape it for long!

When/if we go again I'll probably try to just stay out at Disney and train in... it didn't take THAT long, and the air was fresh and lovely.

5. OldSchoolReasons

OldSchoolReasons DIS Veteran

Ahh I can tolerate that! There's a similar problem in Berlin because post-war there's a population of millions in a city that can handle double.

I was more concerned about fish market type odour haha

AquaDame likes this.
  6. fabfemmeboy

fabfemmeboy Mouseketeer

Only if you're near one of the fish markets. That said, we didn't notice any sewage odor in particular, certainly not enough to bother us, but we're used to San Francisco which permanently smells like pee and pot, and NYC where they're oddly proud of piling their garbage on the street!

OldSchoolReasons likes this.
  7. Disney127

Disney127 DIS Veteran

We like HKDL because it reminded us fo Disneyland in California but we were pleasantly surpised by SHDL. Even though SHDL was massive, we enjoyed the rides and food more there. We did encounter some culture differences in SHDL but we stood our ground and still had a good time. After visiting the Asia parks, it makes us more appreciative of the original Disneyland.