Which Home Resort?

This is my opinion of the 4 WDW resorts. I will start off by saying that I am a very happy DVC owner, and think each resort is lovely in it's own way.

We are owners at OKW. At the time we purchased, we had OKW and BWV to choose from. We chose OKW because it was a little less expensive overall, with less expensive dues. We did see both properties before we decided. OKW has the largest rooms square foot wise of all the DVC resorts. It is a fairly spread out resort, winding through a golf course. It has a little boat that takes you to Downtown Disney. It has a nice pool area, but there is no super duper themeing or big slide or anything at the pool. It is a nice big pool, with a little bit of a curve to it and a nice bridge going over it. The children's play area which is near the pool area is also nice, but there are other DVC resorts that offer a snazzier pool area. It also has several nice quiet pools scattered throughout the rest of the resort. The restaurant, Olivia's, is very nice. There is a cute little (and I do mean little) bar near the main pool area. I think it's a very laid back, relaxing resort. There is apparently a path that you can walk to DD also, although I have never personally done that. There are boat and bicycle rentals, which DH and I have done the boat rental,which is fun.

I have stayed at BCV. The biggest plus to the BCV is the location. You can't beat it. It is more expensive points and dues wise than OKW, but if that particular location is important to you, then that's the place to stay. You obviously have all the benefits of the entire Boardwalk area, quick access to Epcot and MGM, not to mention all the Boardwalk stuff...restaurants, entertainment etc. You are even a relatively close walk to the Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf course, which is across the street from the Swan. There is the Stormalong Bay pool sysytem, which you can only use if you are staying at the BCVs...there is no pool hopping allowed to SAB. The rooms are not as big as OKW square foot wise, but still very amply sized for a vaction condo IMHO. They are very nicely decorated, with a sort of beachy, pastel colors theme, which I personally find very appealing.

I have stayed at the BWvs, although I will admit not in quite a few years. But, they are also a lovely resort. The rooms have sort of an old-fashioned seashore theme. They are not huge rooms, but again, like BCV, very amply sized for a vacation condo, IMHO. Again, cost per point and dues are more expensive than OKW, but BWV offers all the same benefits as BCVs, and I think their overall cost is less expensive than BCVs...any DISers know for sure? You get the proximity to Epcot, MGM, the Boardwalk, the restaurants etc. It's a very busy area, so it may not be quite as relaxing as BCV or OKW. They have a nice pool with a decent slide.

I have never stayed at VWL, but have toured them and have stayed at the WL hotel. They are more rustic, a little out-of-the-way feeling, very serene. Again, smaller room sizes than OKW, more comparable to BCV and BWV, but amply sized for a vacation condo. They have a nice pool area, both the villas and the hotel, and you can use either. They have a nice boating area, bike rental etc. The Electric Water Pageant goes right by the resort at night, which I think is a great little show! The geyser erupts on a regular basis, which is quite impressive as well. There are some good restaurants in the hotel. There is a boat that takes you to the MK on a regular basis. The rest of the parks are accessed by bus, which to me always seemed to take a long time. I said earlier in my dissertation about the VWL that it seems a little out of the way...that can be either a positive or a negative. If you're looking for an action filled vacation, then this is not the resort for you, because it is somewhat secluded. If you're looking for a relaxing vacation, this is the spot. It is a little more of a rustic feel here. If I were to stay here, I would probably want to have a car, so I could be a little less dependent on the bus system for transportation.

When DH and I were buying, we asked ourselves one question:
"If we could never stay anywhere else for the rest of our lives when we cam to WDW, could we be happy here?" We asked it in reference to OKW,and our answer was yes. That's why we bought there. Don't make cost your primary deciding factor...make sure you really think about where you like to stay and what type of vacation you like.

VWL has several advantages as well. The boat service to MK is a big one. Two nice pools. Using the Biks a Boat plan there is great, you have all af the seven seas lagoon to drive the boats around in which is a great deal at $199 per week. There is close proximity to the wilderness campground and I believe the petting zoo and something similar to a hoopy do review meal and show. I haven't done the show in a long time, That's probably not the correct name. The lobby is very high impact for that initial impression of the resort. The walkway to the separate villas is covered. There are nice restaraunts onsite. Feels very secluded and relaxing. There is a small beach that is usable. Nice workout facilities. Themeing is great. Onsite store accessible. Hotel like amenities available. We haven't stayed there yet, but we were impressed when we toured and are glad it is an option for us. I do not believe they have community hall activities like unbirthday parties, teen movies, etc. Don't know about the child care options either.

Hi Captain,

WL has the "Cub's Den" which is similiar to the "daycare" options at some of deluxe resorts. Many daily activities like "duckie" races in SIlver Creek:p

And that theming at WL, WOW. Before we were members and heard that they were adding the Villas at the Lodge, well, we just keep adding on.....

As to which resort, like everyone else said, buy where you want to stay! We have never had any problems making "ressies" at our home resort VWL. And after adding on at BCV only issue was having to do day-by -day for a 2 bdr during the openning week of the Food & Wine Festival. As others have said the popularity of BCV may subside a bit once SS opens.

The WL & VWL are awesome.
OKW is laid back and roomy.
I'll wait till after our first stay at BCV to comment on them.

Originally posted by TiggerFreak
Hi Captain,
WL has the "Cub's Den" which is similiar to the "daycare" options at some of deluxe resorts. Many daily activities like "duckie" races in SIlver Creek:p
Sounds great. Is there any activities in the evenings? How convenient is the boat to MK?

http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll3/Roll03_006.htm

The VWL is with the red roof, WL with the green roof. the boat launch to the MK is near centre towards the upper left side and is somewhat cut off in this picture. Shortest route is to walk outside around the main theme pool as opposed to through the breezeway into WL and around

The Cub's Den is open at night

Not sure about acitivities, but there is the erupting geyser, the EWP, the zanny stuff going on at the Whispering Caynon Cafe as well

thanks
jaysue

We chose VWL last month for our home resort. We could have also chosen BCV or BWV. We were staying at WL at the time and we just love the quietness and peacefullness of the resort. One morning I got up early and walked out on the dock and watched the ducks swimming around and you would never have known you were right in the middle of WDW and just a short boat ride away from MK. You really would have thought you were out in the middle of the Pacific Northwest somewhere. That's why we were so happy to hear they had some VWL available. Also we really liked the April use year that was available. Sure there are some negatives at VWL - I feel like the bus service really isn't as good as some other resorts and sometimes it does take a while to get to MK on the boat - but I feel these negatives are far outweighed by the beauty of the resort itself.

I reccomend you go stay one night at each of the DVC resorts in a 1 bedroom or larger, and see what you think. We love OKW, but it may not be your cup of tea. If I were chosing a second, I would chose VWL, but then I am building a log home so....;) I think another point that has not been made, is that OKW is the only townhome style DVC. The others are all hotel style with inside halls etc. I like the private entrance at OKW, and consider it one of the BEST features for me.

I decided on VWL for several reasons, location, I liked being close to the Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary, G.F and Poly, because of the dinning options, also the Campground, because of the layed back atmosphere, and the ability to do stuff that doesn't cost a fortune!!! I was leaning toward OKW, because the price is right when it comes to the dues, but figured because it is so large, getting in at the 7 month window would be easier, where VWL is much smaller, I like the 11 month option. As for BCV and BWV, its a great area, just very busy, IMHO, I think I would be in and out of Epcot and MGM alot more, eating out alot more, even snacking alot more, which isn't a bad thing, since you are on vacation. But I liked the quietness of VWL, plus if I wanted to rent water mice, nothing better than doing that from the VWL area!! Much faster than anywhere else!!

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
I reccomend you go stay one night at each of the DVC resorts in a 1 bedroom or larger, and see what you think.

I second that idea, if you have time (Hey, think of it as another excuse for lots of WDW trips-"doing research"). In our case, we didn't do that, bought at VWL, stayed there, then stayed at OKW. Now, we have no desire to return to VWL, but I can't pry DH away from OKW-he's said many times that he wishes we'd looked into resale at OKW instead of buying at VWL. And although we recently added on at BCV, wouldn't have considered it without staying at BCV first.

I agree 100% it is best to go and experience a DVC resort and it's atmosphere before deciding on your home resort. If you can stay at the resort it's even better but the minimum you should do is go and visit, have a meal, etc at each resort and experience the feel of the resort. They are all very different, with the two most similiar BCV and BWV.
I did not stay at BWV per se before I bought my DVC membership but I had stayed at YC/BC many times so I knew I liked this area and would like a membership at the BWV. And my DVC membership has far exceeded my expectations. For me BWV is the perfect home resort because I truely love it, but it is mainly for the location, not that I don't think BWI/BWV are a beautiful building with gorgeous villas/rooms/pools, etc but the main appeal to me is the wonderful location. I would be just as happy if all my points were at BCV but BWV was my orginal resort and for me it is easier to keep all my pts at one resort. I was very close to adding on at BCV and then BWV pts came back up for grabs and advantage of keeping all the pts at one resort won out.

While not referred to as the Grand Floridian of the Crecent lake area, Boardwalk Villas is certainly at minimum the second nicest DVC resort on Crecent Lake. No other crecent lake DVC (excluding BCV of course) comes close.....

Great advice, walk around, check out the eating options, the interior spaces, the theming, the location and transportation options, and the general feel of the resort, and keep asking questions on this board. When's you next WDW visit. We haven't even touched on offsite DVC resorts, which we also love. Vero is wonderful, we really like our beach vacations.

Below is a "copy" of one of my recent posts which answers some of your questions:

"We are DVCers since 1995 and have only stayed in the WDW resorts so we cannot comment on HHI and VB.

My husband and I just returned from 15 nights in OKW (where we own but hadn't been back in a couple of years). We are recent empty-nesters and didn't have our children or young grandbabies with us on this trip. Also, we fly down from NY and usually don't rent a car when in WDW, using only WDW transportation.

We completely fell in love all over again with the OKW one-bedroom villa and its lovely balcony complete with table and chairs overlooking a delightful waterway with a golf course view. Wow!! We are now back home and really miss waking up to the numerous ducks, birds, squirrels, etc. just outside our multi-windowed villa. It was truly delightful! We had breakfast by the pool each morning on a table overlooking the canal, and then spent a couple of hours enjoying the lovely pool. Afterwards, we returned to our villa with purchases from the General Store and took our time getting ready for our late afternoon/evening visits to a park or other Disney hotel/restaurant. As you can see, we took it slowly this year without the children/grandchildren and were so very relaxed and content.

But, after three prior visits to the BWV and BCV resorts, we have to admit that the Epcot area DVCs have a much greater choice of restaurants, and we especially enjoyed the boat launches while we were there (the launches seemed like a "ride" in themselves to us with lovely vistas along the way). We found the studios and one- and two-bedroom villas to be OK; not grand in any way (haven't been in a Grand Villa at BWV yet.) We have also stayed in the Wilderness Lodge (not the villas) when it first opened and "loved" the theming of that resort but found the bus transportation to the parks and other hotels to be a little cumbersome (except for the boat to the Contemporary or MK).

What I am trying to say, and what others have said, is that there really isn't a "DVC best resort" in my opinion. But the choices as a DVC owner are superb -- we really have it all. When we are with a large-family reunion, OKW may be our first choice because the group dynamics make for its own entertainment when in the spacious villas there. When we are with one our our grandchildren, we may opt for the WLV and its proximity to MK. When we are alone, we may opt for a studio at one of the Epcot-area resorts! Can't wait to begin planning for our next-year's trip to the World. Definitely content to be a DVCer."

BCV because we intend to take our kids "most" every year to SAB and I want to make sure that can happen. I also own at OKW from a small resale I bought. I read a lot about the "Standard" view BWV rooms as being a reason to buy there. If I want to use less points, I stay at OKW and use even less points. I've never had problems getting in OKW even on short notices.

Don't get me wrong, I like all of the resorts and after this year will have actually stayed in all 4, but my priorities are SAB, close to EPCOT for Food and Wine, and laid back OKW on less points.

I normally like to throw this out there. We have small children and our home is BWV. The reason that we love it there is that technically, you only need to fold up your stroller and take the bus to one of the 4 main parks (AK.) You can walk to MGM, Epcot and we always walk to Epcot and take the monorail to MK (kids think that that is a ride itself.) I guess you could say the same if you were to stay at BCV, but the walk to MGM would be much longer that I would like.

Also I know that most people rave about SAB, but I have to tell you that that pool skeves me. We walked by it one day and I saw ducks swimming in it and it just skeved me out. I would never want to swim there, but hey that's just me and I know that most are probably happy about that, since I won't be fighting for a ressie there ;) .

But get ready for a fight at the 11 month window for a std at BWV. I got my gloves on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter