Which home resort? Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge?

We are planning on buying a DVC membership early next year and are having trouble deciding which resort to make our "home"! We have 3 kids who will be 8, 5, and 1 when we go on our trip either next Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I love the theme and look of Animal Kingdom and love how unique it is, but worry the distance will be a big pain. Is there only one bus that just takes you to one drop off location? Or are there multiple busses that will take you to other parts of the resort from WK?

Wilderness Lodge is also really beautiful but definitely not as unique as WK. Will I regret not making a resort closer to the park our home resort? These two just seem to appeal to me so much more and I sort of like the idea of having a place to unwind from a day at the park that is a little remote and removed from all the craziness.

So, what do you think? Which should I do?!
What is WK?

Which is better between Kidani and Jambo if I do decide on AK?
It doesn't matter. I own at both. They both have equal rights to the home resort. Here is the ONLY difference: If you own at Kidani, then when you go online to reserve, it brings up Kidani first, with a checkmark in place, and you need to go down on the list to find Jambo house and check that, if you want to search them both. If you own at Jambo house, it is just the opposite. The program brings up Jambo House automatically, with a check mark in front, and you need to go down farther on the list and check Kidani to search both.

But as far as the actual reservations, and which building they are in, it makes not one bit of difference in which building you own.

In a way, I compare it to Poly, where I also own. Maybe my actual unit is in Moorea, or a Bungalow, or Pago Pago. I don't know and I don't care. I have the same rights as all the other owners in other buildings, to book and use the entire home resort.

So it is only in the fact that thy split up the search, and make them separate, for Jambo and Kidani, that makes any difference at all.

------------------

NOW, if you are asking which is a better place to stay, Jambo or Kidani, that depends on your personal preferences. The Value rooms and Concierge rooms are all in Jambo. And you will NEVER even see them, unless you get in the habit of getting up very early, before 8 AM eastern time (I am 2 time zones to the west) and keep trying to get one, and then WALK it into the dates you want. Because they are ALWAYS gone within seconds of the opening of the 11 month window.

Jambo DVC rooms are all on the 5th floor. Kidani rooms are 2nd through 6th floors (I believe). So you can be closer down to the animals, or higher up to see farther. Both buildings are very large, but Kidani is BEYOND massive. Both have good pools and restaurants. A shuttle runs back and forth between them every 10 minutes.

We love both buildings.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. I own at both. They both have equal rights to the home resort. Here is the ONLY difference: If you own at Kidani, then when you go online to reserve, it brings up Kidani first, with a checkmark in place, and you need to go down on the list to find Jambo house and check that, if you want to search them both. If you own at Jambo house, it is just the opposite. The program brings up Jambo House automatically, with a check mark in front, and you need to go down farther on the list and check Kidani to search both.

But as far as the actual reservations, and which building they are in, it makes not one bit of difference in which building you own.

In a way, I compare it to Poly, where I also own. Maybe my actual unit is in Moorea, or a Bungalow, or Pago Pago. I don't know and I don't care. I have the same rights as all the other owners in other buildings, to book and use the entire home resort.

So it is only in the fact that thy split up the search, and make them separate, for Jambo and Kidani, that makes any difference at all.

------------------

NOW, if you are asking which is a better place to stay, Jambo or Kidani, that depends on your personal preferences. The Value rooms and Concierge rooms are all in Jambo. And you will NEVER even see them, unless you get in the habit of getting up very early, before 8 AM eastern time (I am 2 time zones to the west) and keep trying to get one, and then WALK it into the dates you want. Because they are ALWAYS gone within seconds of the opening of the 11 month window.

Jambo DVC rooms are all on the 5th floor. Kidani rooms are 2nd through 6th floors (I believe). So you can be closer down to the animals, or higher up to see farther. Both buildings are very large, but Kidani is BEYOND massive. Both have good pools and restaurants. A shuttle runs back and forth between them every 10 minutes.

We love both buildings.

Thank you! I think we may start off at Kidani since I’ve heard their pool is more kid friendly and we have two young children still. If we request a room close to the lobby is it usually granted? Is the lobby close to the pool and the buses too?

Also, is your experience that the resort is depressing? I’ve heard a few people say it has a depressing and not a homey vibe and it has me worried. The only Disney resort I’ve stayed in was the GF and I was not a fan. Too fancy and big hotel feeling.

We own at both Jambi House at AKL and BRV.
We like them both for different reasons.
At AKL I think the pool and food is better. We love the animals and quiet atmosphere.
At BRV we like being able to rent bikes and ride the trails around Ft Wilderness and rent boats and go on 7 seas lagoon. We also like the easy boat access to MK.
I think if your animal lovers and pool lovers then AKL. If you like variety and hustle bustle then BRV.
Jimbo house has the theme pool but it doesn’t matter which you own at AKL as you can book at either within the same booking period.

Someone earlier spoke a huge truth--you'd be better served staying at least a couple of nights in the resorts to which you've narrowed your search, especially since you have tons of questions (and that's a good thing) about them. You won't know about the "depressing and not a homey vibe" unless you personally experience a stay at Kidani or Jambo. Likewise, you can't get a real feel for the theming at the Wilderness Lodge unless you wander the grounds for a couple of days and stay in the rooms for a couple of nights. What is "hustle and bustle" to one commenter is "quiet and serene" to another. The advantage of the boat to MK (WL) might be great while your kids are small, but when they get older, perhaps they'd prefer DHS so that advantage disappears. All that aside, here's my list of pros and cons for each, some of which are repetitive to suggestions above.
AKL
Cons
-
Some feel it's too remote and that's a personal taste so staying there is, again, a great idea.
- At Kidani, the only real food option is Sanaa which, though one of our favorite restaurants on property, is limiting.
- Long hallways--no two ways around it. . .though that isn't an issue for us as we are active and no longer have small kids.
- Dark theming in that it has muted colors, lots of browns, oranges, etc. We like that, but you may not.
- One of the easier resorts to book at 7 months most seasons which means a reduced need to own there and book at 11 months.
Pros
- Gorgeous resort with friendly staff.
- Sanaa is a great spot, as is Boma and Jiko over at Jambo.
- Extra bathrooms in 1BR and 2BR. (Kidani)
- Savannah.
- Still relatively easy to get into after the 11-month booking window for many seasons (also a con above).
- Nice pools especially the kid-friendly Kidani pool.
CCV
Cons
- Smaller rooms than norm as they had to fit the footprint of existing WL rooms.
- Can't sleep 5 without going to a 2BR.
- Getting tough to get into studios at 11 months since so many people bought into CCV thinking they could do cabins only to realize that those point costs are prohibitive. Their most point-friendly option is then to book studios. You have to plan to be online or on the phone right at 11 months for high demand times like races or especially the holidays.
- The WL lobby has gotten louder. Though not obtrusive in the rooms when the door is closed, it's not nearly as peaceful as it once was primarily due to the change of Artist Point to a character meal. The only waiting area is in or near the main lobby, so from 4-9 p.m. it's generally loud.
- For us, lack of good dining options. WCC is fine if you like average fare and an all-you-care-to-eat menu. Plus, it's generally fairly rambunctious in there. AP is now a character meal, and an expensive one at that. The food is prix fixe so not the best quality. Roaring Fork used to be a hidden gem QS. Since it's refurb, the food quality has suffered overall and has less options than before. Geyser Point is a nice spot, but it's both a bar and a QS, only the bar area is treated like a TS so you have to be seated. And many of the divans, soft chairs, etc. are right next to your neighbor so it's more communal than you might like. Finally, there is Territory Lounge which has a decent menu and a lovely calmness to it. . .but it is a bar.
- Currently cut off from Ft Wilderness while the construction on Reflections moves ahead. You can bus there, boat there, or you can drive there and park (if you have a dining reservation), but then you have to take an internal bus to get to the final destination. At some point in the next three years, hopefully they'll reopen the walkway to FW from WL and will include Reflections, too. Currently, that is unknown.
Pros
- New thus has longer contract than either AKL or BRV.
- Theming at the Lodge, especially during the holidays.
- Generally, quieter than most resorts save AKL so a welcome respite at the end of a long day.
- Boats to MK, CR, and FW.
- Closer (barely) to food, drink, and shopping.
BRV
Cons
- All the above for CCV except the rooms are larger and studios and 1BRs can sleep 5 and you don't get lobby noise.
- Has shortest contract of the options you mention.
- Removed from the main building (which is a plus for us) though connected by a covered walkway.
- Farther from the boat dock though equidistant to the buses.
Pros
- Theming
- Very quiet
- The boats
- Not quite as bad to book studio at 11 months as CCV.
- Has its own small, quiet lobby and two fireplaces with rockers.
- Close to Sturdy Branches workout area.

You say nothing of how you intend to buy, but please consider resale if you haven't already. I'm not saying it's an open and shut case for resale over direct, but the truth remains that you can generally save thousands of dollars not buying directly from Disney. The small savings and discounts you get for being a blue card member won't come close to offsetting the difference in costs between those two avenues in a majority of cases. You've a lot of homework to do; good luck and best wishes!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for that list of pros and cons! It was very helpful. I’m still not 100% decided but leaning towards AK for the theme.

I also don’t like being tied to having to book a 2 room with a family of 5. I like the option of being able to book a 1 room if we want to bank some points to use on a longer vacation the following year or something.

I do like the look of the rooms better at CC but the resort just looks like a Great Wolf Lodge to me and we have one of those 30 minutes away from us so theme doesn’t really excite me.

Thank you all again so much! You’ve been so friendly and helpful :)

Thank you! I think we may start off at Kidani since I’ve heard their pool is more kid friendly and we have two young children still. If we request a room close to the lobby is it usually granted? Is the lobby close to the pool and the buses too?

Also, is your experience that the resort is depressing? I’ve heard a few people say it has a depressing and not a homey vibe and it has me worried. The only Disney resort I’ve stayed in was the GF and I was not a fan. Too fancy and big hotel feeling.

If it is a Standard room a Kidani, ask for a room on the main floor, overlooking the pool. Or, if you feel like walking a LONG ways and want a partial savannah view, ask for a room in the far north wing, close to the Pembe savannah.

If you have a Savannah room at Kidani, ask for something on the floor where the main lobby is, near the main lobby, or near the Timon Elevator. That is the next elevator to the south from the lobby and that elevator also goes down to the parking under the building, and goes down to the ground area close to the bus stops.

I have not stayed at CCV or BRV so I will not attempt to compare those resorts to AKV. I will say that Kidani and Jambo are different stays. I prefer Jambo due to The Mara being there as it is one of my favorite quick service restaurants. I also think Jambo's pool area and lobby are prettier, but that only a personal preference. Kidani does have some pluses with the kids play area and the extra bathrooms, but if both were available we would choose Jambo every time.

I definitely want to add that you should stay there before you buy there either way you go. I'm not sure if you have stayed at either, but it's my #1 piece of advice to someone buying into DVC. I rented points a few times before I purchased my contract at BWV. When I rented the BWV points it was because of availability on the dates I needed and I did not want to stay there. For the first time ever I was worried about hating the hotel I was staying at in Disney. It just didn't appeal to me at all in pictures online. Now I own my points there. I love my purchase due to location, atmosphere, dining, all of it is great. The opposite happened with PVB. I always wanted to stay at the Polynesian and thought it would be my favorite, but when I did it wasn't what I'd imagined. It's beautiful and I do like it. It's just not my favorite and I was so sure it would be. The only other thing I will say is look into resale. Maybe direct is for you, maybe not. Good luck with your choice!!! I wish you many magical years of Disney vacations!

You can't go wrong with either location. I think they both have a lot of value for what you get. VWL does expire in 42' compared AKV @ 57'. Disney puts so much money back into their resorts that the extra 15 years (just renting them out) will have paid 100% of your initial purchase. But its still a timeshare and I'm wagering on Disney...
When I bought, I figured it was worth the extra $40 per point for VGF with the future value considered. We'll see if my crystal ball holds true!

PS, it really depends on your budget. AKV by far is the best bang for the buck when it comes to points. IMO, it's the most amazing resort, low points chart, resale is amazing, 2057 deed. I think its well worth $10 more pp over SSR or OKW (sorry owners... but we own at SSR too!) I regret not picking up AKV over SSR.

PS, it really depends on your budget. AKV by far is the best bang for the buck when it comes to points. IMO, it's the most amazing resort, low points chart, resale is amazing, 2057 deed. I think its well worth $10 more pp over SSR or OKW (sorry owners... but we own at SSR too!) I regret not picking up AKV over SSR.

I agree!

If you are considering BRV, you don't get beds for five in the one bedroom. But they allow you to sleep five. You have to provide your own fifth bed.

If you are considered VGF, the one bedroom has a murphy and not a sleeper chair. So it's small. It will do for a while with your children, but once they get bigger, you'll want a two bedroom. Those are a whole lot of points at GFV.

But no matter where you buy, if you are looking at resale after the first of the year, you probably won't close for maybe three months and that may be too late to get any resort for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Love AKL over all resorts we've stayed in - just so unique and amazing when you walk in the lobby, and of course we are animal lovers and could stay all day on our balcony to watch them! (We love being on the Sunset Safari in Jambo with giraffes and zebras, but can see Kidani from our room across the way, so maybe can view it from rooms there as well?) Another bonus is lots of great activities for the kids - DD made an animal feeder they use for giraffes on the savannah, did African drumming class, animal tracking, and decorated cookies at Boma. They have a bracelet you make with charms for each activity. Would be great for kids in your age range. Also you have the two pools you can use, and kids splash zone at Kidani.

This is a tough one. You're debating between my two favorite resorts. There are some pros/cons to each so it might be worth doing a split stay. For me the bigger risk is AKV simply because you could end up getting to experience the single negative I've found at AKV...... a room well down the loooooong hallway. No big deal for me but some people may not like that and I'm not aware of a great way to avoid it.

We have owned at WL since 01 and loved our many stays there over the years. We also love AK! With that said, my only downside to AK is size(long hallways)and distance to other areas.

SSR owner here too. When I bought AKV was still being sold direct and resales where uncommon and commanded a 70% premium over SSR. But at today prices I would probably buy AKV too. (Well, at today prices I would not really buy either, too pricey for me).

SSR owner here too. When I bought AKV was still being sold direct and resales where uncommon and commanded a 70% premium over SSR. But at today prices I would probably buy AKV too. (Well, at today prices I would not really buy either, too pricey for me).
As I own at both, the big negative for AKV is the MF and the potential to climb more than the others. Animals are a big upkeep. Over the long run MF will be your biggest expense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter