Where to stay with a service dog?

edhmom

DIS Veteran
I have a service dog in training and am hoping to go to Disneyland this summer. If anyone here has a service dog, or has raised one, are there hotels to stay at or stay away from? We stayed at a hotel in Monterey that has next to no grass / planters for him to go to the bathroom in. While he can go on any surface, it's better visually if he has an area to go where he doesn't leave a huge wet mark, hence grass or planters being nice to have.

I'm looking at the BWPPI, but am considering CCI since I've heard such great things about them. I'm open to other ideas as well. Granted, my ideal would be DLH or GCH, but I have to wait for those to open before I can make reservation.

A friend of ours has a service dog and most hotels in the immediate area are fairly service dog friendly, just avoid the ones that try to make you pay a pet deposit for your service dog. We all know they can't do that, but do you really want to stay at such an establishment? I wouldn't and I won't knowingly stay at such a place even when we aren't traveling with our friend and her service dog.

We travel with a service pup. We frequently stay at the Residence Inn on Katella and really like it. We've also stayed at the Hilton in a Lanai room, very easy. Candy Cane is very friendly also. We usually stay at the DLH as a first choice for on site. GCH is nice, but longer walk to get to a potty spot.

We have never had any location near Disneyland try to charge us a fee for the pup.

I wouldn't imagine Disneyland even being open this summer based on how things are going. I would think pretty much most places are good with service dogs. I love Disneyland and would take it over Disneyworld any day, but unfortunately I think it will be some time before they open back up.

We travel with a service pup. We frequently stay at the Residence Inn on Katella and really like it. We've also stayed at the Hilton in a Lanai room, very easy. Candy Cane is very friendly also. We usually stay at the DLH as a first choice for on site. GCH is nice, but longer walk to get to a potty spot.

We have never had any location near Disneyland try to charge us a fee for the pup.

Thanks for the DLH vs GCH comparison. I'll definitely take that into consideration because that's not trivial. It's also nice to know that you haven't had anywhere close try to charge you a fee. Most hotels we've stayed at are good. I always call ahead of time to let them know we have a service dog in training and ask if there's a fee, and except for some hotels in Reno, they've always been great. Not that we've done much traveling because of Covid, but we have done some.

What organization do you train service dogs for? I have a Canine Companions for Independence puppy. My first one :-)

Thanks for the DLH vs GCH comparison. I'll definitely take that into consideration because that's not trivial. It's also nice to know that you haven't had anywhere close try to charge you a fee. Most hotels we've stayed at are good. I always call ahead of time to let them know we have a service dog in training and ask if there's a fee, and except for some hotels in Reno, they've always been great. Not that we've done much traveling because of Covid, but we have done some.

What organization do you train service dogs for? I have a Canine Companions for Independence puppy. My first one :-)
We train for CCI! Small world. Just finished puppy 10. Been doing it since 2002. (Took a few years off.) We are in the NW Region!

We train for CCI! Small world. Just finished puppy 10. Been doing it since 2002. (Took a few years off.) We are in the NW Region!

Very small world. I am also in the NW region, Gold Rush Chapter. Based on all your DL posts I assumed (yes, I know what happens when you assume) that you were down south. This is Wright, he'll be one year old next week.IMG_2230.jpg

Very small world. I am also in the NW region, Gold Rush Chapter. Based on all your DL posts I assumed (yes, I know what happens when you assume) that you were down south. This is Wright, he'll be one year old next week.
We are technically Gold Rush. We are down in Modesto, so do our own training, but we used to come up to train with Carley. Because of the distance, makes it hard to be in any of the chapters. But we enjoy our training! The pictures I posted were of Claudette, who returned to Santa Rosa for "college" in November.

What longer walk do you need to take? The center courtyard is pretty darn close.
Depends on where your room is. And center courtyard has little grass and is right outside 3 restaurants. My daughter usually goes out by the convention area or by the DVC rooms when we are there. She prefers the DLH as it is just easier and fewer people yelling "There's a dog!!"

Last edited:
Of course, but you know as well as I do, that some will be better than others.
Yup. The Anabella once refused us, for about 20 mins. And we have had a taxi try to refuse us (at John Wayne airport), there was cop standing right there and after the cop said "No, you can't deny them", the driver then wanted my daughter to put the dog in the trunk. The cop then said "Nooooo....." and gave us his card and said any issues, call him.

put the dog in the trunk.
That's so wrong on so many levels. Thank you both for taking on the training. That's a lot of work and the people they help is priceless.

While our golden at home -- we aspired her to be at least a therapy dog -- alas her temperament said otherwise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter