Where to stay - VGF or RIV

FinnFogg

Mouseketeer
We are in the West Coast, so typically go to Aulani or Disneyland. Over the years, we have had the opportunity to use our points at Beach Club, Boardwalk, Kidani, Jambo, BLT and Old Key West (but only for one stay each, as I have been eager to try all of the resorts out at least once). We always stay in 1 bedrooms, so availability at 7 months is usually pretty good. We are planning another trip early next year, and while I would LOVE to stay at Beach Club or Boardwalk, I really want to keep trying out resorts. Next in the list are VGF and RIV. Priorities for us are proximity to parks (which is why we love Boardwalk and Beach Club) and pool/amenities. We are only going for 5 nights (from the west coast) so a split stay if not any option. Any recommendations between those two resorts? Any others that I should be putting at the top of the list? Thanks! 😊

Great plan! We have stayed at VGF and RIV several times. Based on where you have stayed so far, I think you are right to focus on VGF or RIV next.

VGF's biggest advantage is that it's on the Monorail. Similar to BCV and BWV, you feel like you are right in the middle of the action when you stay at a Monorail resort. The disadvantage is that you are somewhat far from the Monorail stop and even farther from the food court. (We typically use the food court 2 or 3 times a trip.)

RIV's biggest advantages are that it tends to be easier to get a seat at the pool (we go to the pools at least once a day, sometimes twice) and the food court is within the same building, meaning you don't have to go outside to get to it. The disadvantage is the Skyliner. You would think the Skyliner is great, and it is in the afternoon when the weather is nice. But lines are very long for DHS and Epcot opening, and the Skyliner shuts down for thunderstorms, which happens most days for the summer months. We've been stranded more than once by a Skyliner shutdown, having to wait an hour or more for a bus. You'd think Disney would have this figured out by now but it happen to us yet again in July.

It's a tough call between the two. We love VGF; it's one of our Home Resorts. But we also visit RIV regularly.

That is a really tough choice. They are my top two and we split stay between them as much as possible, even for 3 and 4 night trips just so we have easier access to the three parks.

But, if I have to choose, I’d go with RIV because it does have an easy way to get to Epcot which we do a lot.

One more question - How are the view categories at VGF and RIV? We typically go for lower point room categories, as the view isn’t that important to us (unless it’s REALLY bad). Would a standard view at one resort be better than a standard view at the other?

One more question - How are the view categories at VGF and RIV? We typically go for lower point room categories, as the view isn’t that important to us (unless it’s REALLY bad). Would a standard view at one resort be better than a standard view at the other?
Our VGF Standard View room from May (second floor):

Our RIV Standard View room from July (top floor):

1631670105675.png

Many of the RIV SV rooms can see fireworks. This was our room from July. However SV rooms there, just like VGF are hard to get unless you own. 1 bedrooms have a better chance at 7 months for either of them.

Attachments

• 46BA2558-355B-45A8-9CF8-5ED59792E91C.jpeg
    46BA2558-355B-45A8-9CF8-5ED59792E91C.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 10
I have only visited the Riv, so don’t have much insight on it. I wasn’t a fan of the small lobby & office tower vibe, but many really like the resort. I did enjoy my meal at Toppolinos.
I do know more about the VGF. You can walk, monorail, or boat to the MK from the VGF. You can monorail via transfer to Epcot from the VGF. It’s buses to DHS & AK. The GF grounds are spread out & lovely, the DVC lobby is peaceful w/ the penguin fountain. The GF main lobby is beautiful. These are from 2 different standard view 1 br.s I’ve stayed in at the VGF on opposite sides of the building..4CBBA575-AB2A-423D-9C97-AE33B622D6A8.jpegDEFD49EC-C36A-42AE-AF7E-9A2A8DBD7EE4.jpeg

Last edited:

Have they put the Nespresso machine back in the VGF lobby yet? That was one of my favorite touches!

I have not yet stayed at either resort. I am also trying to try them all out, and these two are still on my list. However, based on logistical reasons alone, I'd go for VGF this trip.

With the addition of a LOT of studios into VGF soon, the 1 bedrooms may become much harder to get.

Riviera's room distribution should remain stable for awhile. There may be issues down the road once there are many people with restricted Riviera points.

I have only visited the Riv, so don’t have much insight on it. I wasn’t a fan of the small lobby & office tower vibe, but many really like the resort. I did enjoy my meal at Toppolinos.
I do know more about the VGF. You can walk, monorail, or boat to the MK from the VGF. You can monorail via transfer to Epcot from the VGF. It’s buses to DHS & AK. The GF grounds are spread out & lovely, the DVC lobby is peaceful w/ the penguin fountain. The GF main lobby is beautiful. These are from 2 different standard view 1 br.s I’ve stayed in at the VGF on opposite sides of the building..View attachment 604925View attachment 604926
Love the pics! What side were you on in first one (with the fireworks)?

Love the pics! What side were you on in first one (with the fireworks)?
Thanks, I loved both views.
The fireworks one was on the same side of the building as the entry doors, facing the pool & the rest of the GF buildings, it was on either the 4th or 5th floor.

Haven't stayed at RIV yet. But we liked VGF. I liked being able to walk over to the Poly to grab a quick bite to eat at Capt Cooks. I really like being on the monorail, as we like to resort hop a bit and walk around the monorail resorts. I also like being able to take a boat to and from MK. I just like boat rides, so I like having easy access to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter