Where to start planning?

hapandpam

DIS Veteran
We are WDW veterans. Next year we are thinking of a trip out west, and of course, I'd love to visit Disneyland. I was there about 34 years ago, so I don't really have any frame of reference. Is there a site, like Deb Willis' site, that has basic information? I don't know where to start planning, and I'd like some information on resorts (or hotels), ticket prices, etc. Thanks so much!

I need help planning as well!

Planning trip for May 2006. Will be me, DH and 2 daughters. The trip is for their bdays(10th and 8th)

We want to stay onsite- which hotel is best with kids? What type of tix are best to get?

Any and all info is appreciated. Links to sites great too!

Thank you!

Here are a few sites that might help with some basic information:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/

http://www.laughingplace.com/

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/home/home?name=HomePage&bhcp=1

In terms of where to stay, keep in mind that DL is very different from WDW in that it is much more "compact," and there are a lot of good hotels/motels that are within walking distance. I am one of those who MUST stay onsite at WDW, but at DL, it's more of a luxury if I can afford it. There are only 3 resorts, all priced over $100 per night (and more than likely over $200 per night), so it's not like WDW where you can stay at an All-Star resort to save on hotel costs.

My personal favorite DL resort is the Grand Californian, as it reminds me of Wilderness Lodge at WDW, and it is the only resort built by Disney from the ground up at DL. However, I do not have children, so I don't have to consider the "fun factors" like the pool. Many on this board seem to agree that the Disneyland Hotel is the best for kids, as it has a great Neverland themed pool. The rooms there are also bigger, and you have the convenience of the monorail to get into DL. GC is definitely the closest resort though, and it has it's own entry into DCA. Keep in mind that the monorail only stops at DLH and DL, no where else, so it's not really considered a major mode of transporattation like it is at WDW.

Unless you can find a really good deal on the DL resorts on a site like Expedia or Travelocity, I think DL packages are a pretty good deal (whether it's with an onsite or offsite hotel). I normally don't get a package when I go to WDW, but I almost always do when I go to DL. I would say plan on spending 3-4 nights there if you want to be able to cover just about all of the attractions without killing yourself. If you stay at least 3 nights, you can get a park hopper ticket similar to WDW.

I'll stop here, I'm sure others will have more to say, and you'll have more specific questions as you begin your planning. Have fun!!!

Thank you! That is just what I was looking for! I will start looking at the links and I am sure I will be back with more questions.

I appreciate the info.

Mary's site,

www.mousesavers.com

has lots of info on both WDW and Disneyland. She lives in So Cal, I think.

One big difference between WDW and DL/DCA is how much time you need to plan for. Disneyland can be done well in 3 days. I like at least 2 weeks in WDW. You can do the parks 3 days straight in California because the weather will not zap you like it does in Florida.

Next decide on a budget for your hotel. Another huge difference is there are only 3 onsite hotels, all expensive. I would only recomend 2, GC and DLH. In California you can stay off site and still be very close to the parks (like a 5-10 min walk). And even if you need to drive in and park it is no where near the hassle it is in WDW. You can walk between the parks so no buses/boats/monorail needed (and no taking 2 hours to park hop :Pinkbounc )

Next off, and some would disagree, but I save my food budget for trips to WDW. In WDW we almost need a relaxing sit down meal to make it through the day, not so in California. We might do one nice dinner for an entire trip.

Last thing I will say is DL is not WDW. It is smaller in a charming way, but if you go in looking for the vastness of WDW you will be disappointed. That would be a real shame, DL is my favorite park. Epcot comes in second. So I manage by going to both DL and WDW as often as I can. :rotfl2:

Thank you all so much! :grouphug: When DH saw me posting this question, he thought I was ablsolutely nuts. (We are leaving at the end of June for WDW and he thinks I should at least wait until one trip is over to start planning another. Silly guy!!! :rotfl: ) I know DL is much smaller, but I grew up it watching Walt on Sunday night, and when I got to visit at 16, it was a dream come true. As corney as it sounds, I really want to go back to where it started.

Thanks again. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter