Where to eat?

That was Cafe Orleans. We went back twice to get more!

i wonder if they were talking about Royal Street Veranda....as it would definitely be easier to go grab gumbo than go to CO

Here is a list of our favorite places.

JHB for cinnamon rolls and the beef sandwich
i just have to say something about this one...a few weeks ago we went into JHB because my dd wanted a cinnamon roll and she was like "mom these are tiny" lets go to NOS...so we went right there across from HM where they sell them in the ODV carts...and my GOD...they were so huge they were as big as both my hands....it was the same price but significant difference in size...it was good thing we were sharing because it was just way too much for me to eat....i could only eat a few bites and my daughter ate the rest....it was early in the am so hardly anybody was around....it was nice and peaceful to sit there without the rush of people hitting that area of the park yet...but you are spot on about the beef sandwich...that friggin thing is to die for

Has anyone eaten at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney? Being from the New Orleans area I guess I'm just drawn to our New Orleans food. I know Brennan's is good in New Orleans. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on that particular restaurant.

tink2044 said:
Has anyone eaten at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney? Being from the New Orleans area I guess I'm just drawn to our New Orleans food. I know Brennan's is good in New Orleans. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on that particular restaurant.

As someone who has eaten at Commander's Palace (same family) and Brennan's, the Jazz Kitchen is good, but is a Disneyfied version. The food has been tamed and the flavors are not as developed or pronounced. The menu is also not as interesting. We do eat there because the food is good for where it is located, but a native New Orleanian would probably not find it super authentic.

that sux that you didnt like the JHB...I loved it but then again my sandwich was the beef and cheese one and it was chocked FULL of meat, melty gooey cheese and yummy horseradish sauce with onions....it was sooooooooooo good...

I totally agree with you on CDC...my favorite!! i love the corn dog and the cheese dog...take one bite of corn dog and one bite of cheese dog and :cloud9:

OP I dont know if you are a breakfast person but if you are and are interested in character dining, imo, the best 2 places for that are: PPH for Surfs Up! with Mickey and Friends and DL Minnie and Friends Breakfast...LOVE those 2!!

I too enjoyed the Roast Beast sandwich here. But I still would put it in my "OK to skip" category. My sandwich was juicy, horseradishy and they didn't skimp on the meat.

I think the jazz kitchen is pretty good. We had lunch there last week. It was less pricey than dinner and I really enjoyed my seafood salad. I think the atmosphere is much better if you can sit outside. It seems a little "coffee shop" inside to me.

I also like Lucky Fortune in CA pacific wharf for rice bowls. The spicy Korean is really good! Plus there are lots of other options in the same area if you have differing tastes.

We got to try Flo's for the first time this trip and it was fine, not spectacular, but the view sitting outside is! So it's worth a stop.

Loved the "popcone" at the cozy cones--yes, even the dill pickle is good!!

Have fun, whatever you end up trying!

We're different from a lot of people here in that we prefer the food at DCA to DL, though that may be because we can enjoy cocktails over there :) Wine Country Trattoria, Cove Bar, the pizza place near Goofy's Sky School has fantastic salads (Basil Vinaigrette has no mayo!), the Greek food in the same area is pretty tasty, and the Corn Dog Castle is nearly as good as the Corn Dog hut on Main Street IF you can get them to give you a fresh corndog! Flo's for chicken tamale if you don't want breakfast food is fantastic. The Mexican food on the Wharf is pretty good. The only places we didn't enjoy are Award Weiners and the Chinese food place on the Wharf.

disneegrl4eva said:

Royal Street Verandah serves steak gumbo and veggie gumbo. Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou serve a chicken and sausage gumbo. They taste very different. The Royal Street Verandah gumbo is also much thinner than the gumbo at CO/BB.

i wonder if they were talking about Royal Street Veranda....as it would definitely be easier to go grab gumbo than go to CO

i just have to say something about this one...a few weeks ago we went into JHB because my dd wanted a cinnamon roll and she was like "mom these are tiny" lets go to NOS...so we went right there across from HM where they sell them in the ODV carts...and my GOD...they were so huge they were as big as both my hands....it was the same price but significant difference in size...it was good thing we were sharing because it was just way too much for me to eat....i could only eat a few bites and my daughter ate the rest....it was early in the am so hardly anybody was around....it was nice and peaceful to sit there without the rush of people hitting that area of the park yet...but you are spot on about the beef sandwich...that friggin thing is to die for

See, we LOVE the ones from NOS and we went to JHB and they assured us they were the same ones! We thought the ones from NOS had more frosting, and we like frosting! But we thought it was just our imaginations because they were adamant they were the same! I'll have to let DH know that we weren't crazy!!

As someone who has eaten at Commander's Palace (same family) and Brennan's, the Jazz Kitchen is good, but is a Disneyfied version. The food has been tamed and the flavors are not as developed or pronounced. The menu is also not as interesting. We do eat there because the food is good for where it is located, but a native New Orleanian would probably not find it super authentic.
Thanks for the information. My husband said he wasn't going to California to eat a po boy that he can get at home. HA! HA! Some place had chicken gumbo crepe. Have you ever had this? I can't imagine how you put gumbo in a crepe. Of couse I'm thinking of a bowl with rice and GUMBO.

tink2044 said:
Thanks for the information. My husband said he wasn't going to California to eat a po boy that he can get at home. HA! HA! Some place had chicken gumbo crepe. Have you ever had this? I can't imagine how you put gumbo in a crepe. Of couse I'm thinking of a bowl with rice and GUMBO.

Lol, probably a smart idea to leave the po boys for New Orleans. I have eaten that gumbo crepe and it is very odd. The first problem is that the gumbo is not a proper gumbo with a dark roux, thickened with okra and file. It is thickened with cornstarch or flour and is much tighter than a real gumbo. So it ends up like a gravy, which they pour over the top of a crepe. Does that make sense?

Lol, probably a smart idea to leave the po boys for New Orleans. I have eaten that gumbo crepe and it is very odd. The first problem is that the gumbo is not a proper gumbo with a dark roux, thickened with okra and file. It is thickened with cornstarch or flour and is much tighter than a real gumbo. So it ends up like a gravy, which they pour over the top of a crepe. Does that make sense?

Now I've never been to New Orleans, but I do like me some gumbo and that IMO sounds pretty gross....
Crepes are meant to be filled with fruity and creamy deliciousness, not spicy and chunky deliciousness :upsidedow

tumblr_m4g58pE0Mw1r0d1l5.jpg

Yes, the 'grab and go' gumbo is at the Royal Street Veranda. We usually get a couple of those, in cups,with bread and butter on the side. Since there's limited seating, we take our meal to sit at the tables that have the view of the Rivers of America at River Belle Terrace. We usually save the bread to 'nosh' on a little later in the parks.

Check out the link below for Disneyland foodie reviews:

http://lafoodie.com/post/23574727336/top-10-best-foods-at-disneyland

HA! HA! I get it, but I think I'll pass. Sounds like they are using the crepe as the rice.

tumblr_m4g58pE0Mw1r0d1l5.jpg

Yes, the 'grab and go' gumbo is at the Royal Street Veranda. We usually get a couple of those, in cups,with bread and butter on the side. Since there's limited seating, we take our meal to sit at the tables that have the view of the Rivers of America at River Belle Terrace. We usually save the bread to 'nosh' on a little later in the parks.

Check out the link below for Disneyland foodie reviews:

http://lafoodie.com/post/23574727336/top-10-best-foods-at-disneyland
Thank you for posting and for the link. The gumbo looks interesting. I'll give it a try and the link will be very helpful in planning our meals.

ArchOwl said:

I agree, I am from Louisiana and I generally don't try to eat at Cajun or creole restaurants because I am usually disappointed. I will Blue Bayou when we go in October for the atmosphere!

I have an awkward food taste, many people I know do not like Pizza Port or Planet or whatever it is by Space Mountain but I think it's awesome lol. I like their pasta, they have okay Pizza and my Mom loves the salads there.

I really loved Rancho Del Zorro, they have really good Mexican food, we probably will eat there again when we go back to DL.

Haven't tried the Thunder Ranch BBQ, but it's on my list once I can get rid of these braces, nothing is worse then breaking a bracket while you eat yummy food.

at DCA:

The Pacific Warf is amazing, I love their Broccoli & Cheddar cheese bread bowl, so good. Definitely a must try if you haven't already.

If you like coffee, I have discovered I love Giradehli's chocolate place that's down the way from Pacific Warf, they make really great coffee drinks, and the like :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter