Where do the kids go?

Where are the kids going to do the online learning while the parents are at work?
When the city first shut down "Resource Learning Centers" were opened for children whose parents were still working. They were opened during hours that mimicked public schools' and served breakfast and lunch. DGD goes to a private school so I'm not directly informed about about how it worked out. On the surface it sounded good and maybe it can be continued. Again, don't know if this was a NYS or NYC plan.

I listen to Gov Andrew Cuomo's daily briefings every day. Sometimes at lunch. Other times after I finish my work day. He brought up a good point today. How do you open businesses with schools close? What do you do with your kids while you go to work? This is one of the big challenges we're going to have with reopening. Until day care and/or schools open, where do the kids go?

His Q&A was pretty awesome today.

?
How about hiring some of the college kids who no longer have internships/jobs to watch your children when you have to go back to work?

?
How about hiring some of the college kids who no longer have internships/jobs to watch your children when you have to go back to work?

Do you trust just anyone to watch your kids, 'cause I sure don't. I would never hire someone I don't know (and no, I don't know anyone currently in college) and probably has no experience to watch my kids.

My wife and I talked about that today. We have 3 kids,and she teaches. My wife is pretty awesome, but she has 20+ kids to deal with, calls with parents and kids ALL day, and even MORE paperwork than before. They are required to document all communication between students and teachers. Every email uploaded to the system. Every call logged. It's CYA extreme. Meanwhile, she has to be a teacher to our 3 kids, who are often "done" with their work quickly, and get bored and need entertaining. I am on conference calls or out of the house all day. It's very stressful for her, moreso than me. I do what I can when I'm able, but my company has laid off tons of people, making my job extremely stressful and time consuming.

We were talking about digital learning continuing into fall. She's talking about not teaching next year, and potentially seeing if we could get 3 kids to come here and pay her to "home school."
I'm a middle school teacher, and I can second that teaching remotely is waaaaaay harder and more work and more stressful that regular classroom teaching. Both my kids are home, but one is in college doing her online classes, and the other graduated from college last year and is working remotely from my house. So the house is full, it has to be cleaned more often, meals have to be cooked, laundry has to be done, groceries have to be bought. My DH is in the same boat as you with a very stressful job, so he in not able to help. The kids pitch in when they can. I would be seriously over the edge if I had little ones at home I had to do school work with on top of teaching my own classes. I really feel for your wife. Hugs to you all!!!!

I have to say my experience with remote learning has been surprisingly good so not worrying about DGD's education. My thinking is if properly motivated students can learn anywhere.

Totally disagree. Young children do not learn well at home, totally isolated from their peers. So much of early childhood education is social. You just can’t duplicate that at home, even with siblings. Additionally, many parents are not equipped to teach their children properly, even with “help” from schools. Of course there will be students who can and do thrive in this type of school environment - but I think most will not.

Do you trust just anyone to watch your kids, 'cause I sure don't. I would never hire someone I don't know (and no, I don't know anyone currently in college) and probably has no experience to watch my kids.
Why would you think no experience? I’ve used many babysitters I’ve found though word of mouth, that’s how my daughters got babysitting jobs. One could call local high schools and colleges for recommendations. It’s certainly not a new concept.

Totally disagree. Young children do not learn well at home, totally isolated from their peers. So much of early childhood education is social. You just can’t duplicate that at home, even with siblings. Additionally, many parents are not equipped to teach their children properly, even with “help” from schools. Of course there will be students who can and do thrive in this type of school environment - but I think most will not.

Homeschooled kids that I know seem to thrive just fine.

Homeschooled kids that I know seem to thrive just fine.
Absolutely they do.

1. They are not in lockdown. Parks, zoos, museums, etc. are all open for hands-on learning.
2. Most homeschool kids are active participants in church, sports, art, theater with other children for social development. Those are all closed.
3. Parents who choose homeschool are often prepared and well-equipped to school their children. They CHOSE this. It was not forced upon them. They are not often working full-time and teaching. They also are not often micromanaged by the school - they do all the planning/teaching.

How does this work for low income folks that have kids that receive free lunch?

In a district near me, the school was having bus drivers deliver meals.

I’ve also seen that parents have to pick up the meals at the school. It’s so popular in my area that the schools are running out of food before all the families are served.

Absolutely they do.

1. They are not in lockdown. Parks, zoos, museums, etc. are all open for hands-on learning.
2. Most homeschool kids are active participants in church, sports, art, theater with other children for social development. Those are all closed.
3. Parents who choose homeschool are often prepared and well-equipped to school their children. They CHOSE this. It was not forced upon them. They are not often working full-time and teaching. They also are not often micromanaged by the school - they do all the planning/teaching.

Ok but that completely contradicts the post I quoted...

How does that work when we reopen with schools closed?
Who is watching the kids? In my case my kids could drive, walk, or bike over. If they were younger I’m guessing their caregiver could pick up the food, or maybe a friend? Give each family a loaf of bread and some peanut butter? Pretend it’s summer? Personally my family isn’t going anywhere. I was just talking to my friend, her 15 year old son is autistic and non verbal, she said there is no way his school can open without a vaccine and follow social distancing. Everyone just needs to do the best they can.

Ok but that completely contradicts the post I quoted...

Do you actually have young children at home? I’m not being snarky, just curious. I do, and this is incredibly hard. Mine are not thriving. I’m so glad if other kids are thriving - traditionally homeschooled kids thriving is not the same as lockdown homeschool kids thriving. If you know kids who thrived with homeschool - it’s because they had access to an open society, too. They weren’t strictly at home all the time. That’s what I meant when I said most kids won’t thrive in this type of environment - I meant the current homeschool environment, not the one of the past. Sorry I didn’t clarify that in my first post.

Do you actually have young children at home? I’m not being snarky, just curious. I do, and this is incredibly hard. Mine are not thriving. I’m so glad if other kids are thriving - traditionally homeschooled kids thriving is not the same as lockdown homeschool kids thriving. If you know kids who thrived with homeschool - it’s because they had access to an open society, too. They weren’t strictly at home all the time. That’s what I meant when I said most kids won’t thrive in this type of environment - I meant the current homeschool environment, not the one of the past. Sorry I didn’t clarify that in my first post.

No worries and thanks for clarifying. I was thinking that's what you had to mean. :)

Yes, I have a 9 year old at home. I will make the disclaimer that she isn't like most kids. She enjoys being home and gets her work done without too much hand holding. Some days I have to get on her to do math, but we've settled into what works for us.

No worries and thanks for clarifying. I was thinking that's what you had to mean. :)

Yes, I have a 9 year old at home. I will make the disclaimer that she isn't like most kids. She enjoys being home and gets her work done without too much hand holding. Some days I have to get on her to do math, but we've settled into what works for us.

That’s awesome! I’m so glad she is doing so well. ❤️

I have a 7 year old, and two 5 year olds. My five year olds are mostly playing, and doing very little school. They will be in Kindergarten in the fall.

Most of my angst around this topic centers around my autistic 5 year old. He really needs to be in school around his peers to continue growth and development. All of his therapies have stopped. My other two kids will be fine - but my worry for his future is very real and scary right now.

That’s awesome! I’m so glad she is doing so well. ❤

I have a 7 year old, and two 5 year olds. My five year olds are mostly playing, and doing very little school. They will be in Kindergarten in the fall.

Most of my angst around this topic centers around my autistic 5 year old. He really needs to be in school around his peers to continue growth and development. All of his therapies have stopped. My other two kids will be fine - but my worry for his future is very real and scary right now.

I understand. Hang in there. I am also hoping school starts as normal, but I am worried it won't. And we are supposed to be at a brand new school in August. It's going to be interesting.

doesn’t he know there are lots of parents that both work now that are essential. Parents will have to find a way just like all the essential parents. No wonder his state is the worse with the virus. He means Well. Nothing against his state my state is second worse with the virus. Most of it up in the north jersey Down here in south jersey the peak is suppose to hit in two weeks. Going to spread faster than a California wildfire.

Essential workers were offered daycare, weren't they? They were given it here in MA.

Nothing against your state one state has to be the worse with the virus. Mine is second worse.

Being the worst only has to do with volume of testing, for the most part. Lots of states aren't really active with testing, so there's little data coming in from them. Of course, the density of the population also plays a part, and the wide-open states will have a slower spread-rate. But don't worry, it will get there.
Most parents would expect to have their kids in school now. Where do they go to do their online learning when businesses open back up?

Bring them to work, or have one parent work from home, take different shifts, etc. Honestly, by the time most businesses are working at full capacity, the schools should be opened. What's the point of keeping them closed if people are not doing social distancing at work?

How does this work for low income folks that have kids that receive free lunch?

Your school district isn't still providing meals? Ours is, no questions asked.

Why do you say this? My children learned quite well at home - they could read second grade level in kindergarten, write their names, etc, do simple addition and subtraction. Parents are quite able to teach their kids, unless they are severely learning-disabled themselves. So much wiring of the brain starts before formal schooling. Aren't parents doing any teaching with their babies, toddlers, and preschoolers?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter