• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where did this heat and all these people come from? The new PTR/TR link 5/7

kschafer

DIS Veteran
Well I have been home 5 days already?I guess it?s time to get this show on the road!!

First let?s get the complaining out of the way:

Yes it was HOT!!!!! Not just warm, but hot. Like sweat dripping down your back every afternoon hot. When planning the trip I had heard about how wonderful early May weather is. As the trip approached, I saw the forecast rise from mid-80?s to low 90?s and that nasty word humid sneak in. The second morning in Florida, I turned on the local news and heard them say ?near record highs? :scared1: And yes, I talked with several locals who complained about how unseasonably hot it had suddenly become.

Yes it was CROWDED!!! Again, in the planning process I had read about how the crowds are so low and most rides are practically a walk-on. Well guess what?didn?t happen! I couldn?t help but wonder who all these people were and why they didn?t get the memo to stay away that week. I am however happy to say that with some strategic planning, we managed to avoid the long lines for the most part.

And finally, although I had no control over the weather and the crowds, I am sorry to report that on my first night, I managed to get blisters on my feet which plagued me the rest of the trip. It felt so good to get to the warmth of Florida and put on sandals, but although the ones I brought had never given me problems before, they made walking the rest of the trip quite painful.

Enough complaining and on to the good stuff! This trip was such a wonderfully different one from any of my previous trips. Being there with just grown-ups was a whole new experience that was so much fun! Yes, I missed my kids but not as much as I thought I would :upsidedow

Let?s start with the cast for those of you just joining in?I?m Katie

florida2010472.jpg

I have been crazy about Disney from the time I was very young. Both sets of my grandparents had winter places in Florida so several Christmas trips included a visit to WDW (back then of course there was only Magic Kingdom). If you have interest in seeing some flashback pictures of those trips, check out my PTR, link is in my siggie

After a LONG hiatus, I finally returned to the world in 2008 with my entire family (8 adults and 7 kids, link is also in my siggie if you are interested) in what was a fun but crazy week. I didn?t accomplish nearly as much as I had hoped and felt a lot of stress over being the planner of the group. I learned quickly on that trip that once one person is unhappy, you have to call a timeout or everyone will be miserable. With 15 people, it was hard to keep everyone happy!

This years trip came about over 1 ½ years ago when a group of friends I had met here started talking about taking a trip together. Unfortunately, other trips and life changes cancelled those plans, but I was able to convince my hubby that I deserved a week away from home.

The first person I invited was my dear friend Beth

BethSchlarmann.jpg

She and I met in high school and were the best of friends. She has never been to Disney and we quickly began to make plans for our girls-only trip. Unfortunately, she has been battling a nerve disorder that began to get worse in the months leading up to the trip. She had hopes that a nerve-block procedure would bring her relief but insurance and medical red-tape delayed it and she had to cancel. (for those of you who followed my PTR and are wondering, she is scheduled for this coming Thursday! :thumbsup2) She did however make the trip in the form of Flat Beth who will make apperearnces here!

This left me without a travel companion with only a couple weeks to go. The first person I thought of was my SIL Shelby

florida2010645.jpg

Shelby works for herself, so although she had to cancel some appointments she was able to get away from work without too much trouble. Luckily my brother?s schedule had him in town that week and he was able to stay with their kids. She is a pretty laid back and adventurous person so I knew that she wouldn?t be bothered by just stepping into the plans I had made and go with the flow!

I also had the pleasure of finding out that several disers I already knew were planning trips at the same time as well as meet several more who were planning on trips as well. It was such a thrill to include so many dis-meets in my trip plans!!

I hope you stick with me for what I hope will be a fun trip and be sure to say Hi if you decide to join in!

I think I'm first! I've never been first before! :woohoo:

I love your title and introduction! So true!

I'm here! :yay: Sorry about all those crowds and the heat... I wonder why they didn't get the memo to stay away? ;) But I think I can guess from your facebook updates that you had a pretty good time nevertheless. I can't wait to hear more details!! popcorn:: This trip was a long time coming and you more than earned it!! :)

YEAH!!!!! This is just what I needed!!! Thanks Katie! You are the BEST!!! ;)

Well, since I was probably not in front of you in any of your lines, and since I can't be held responsible for the heat, I guess it is safe for me to be over here.

I am so glad you got to take the grown-up trip. I hope you will help other moms realize that it might be a good and healthy thing for them to go and be a kid again themselves sometime.

I'm ready to hear about your fun. :yay:

I was there the same time as you and I agree about the heat and crowds. Both were a bit of a surprise for us as neither was an issue the same week in 2008. I am in! popcorn::Some day maybe I will do one too!

Yay! You started! Sorry about the icky blisters, but glad you had a wonderful grown-up trip. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Hey Katie!!! Somehow I knew you would be starting today!!! :) I can't wait to hear all about your trip and all of the wonderful disers you met! Hahaha ;) I didn't know you were having blister problems ugghh. And yes it was HOT!!!

Tracy

Oh man, Katie - was I supposed to send out that memo? I thought you were going to do it! No wonder there were so many stinkin' people there :headache:

:lmao:

Glad you started and I'm looking forward to hearing all about the adventures of Katie, Shelby and Flat Beth!

I will be honest, I shuddered when I read the word blister. :scared1:

When I went last May, it was hot hot hot and crowded which I wasn't expecting. I don't think I'd go in May again but that is just me.

I can't wait to hear more about your trip and all of your DIS meets! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter