Where can I get 35mm film developed?

jerseygirl81

DIS Veteran
I came across some old rolls of film that need developing, I'm curious to see what's on them but don't want to spend a fortune getting them developed either. I have 5 disposable camera's and 3 rolls of film.

Thanks, Linda

We have Walgreens in our area and they develop 35MM film. We let the kids us a water camera every trip and use Walgreens to develop those with no past problems.

If you go on MPIX.com, there is a place to order film mailers (no charge for just the mailers).
Much better prints than Walmart.

Just a warning, depending on how old the film to be developed is, the pics may be pretty poor now. This happened to me. A few years ago, I found a couple of undeveloped rolls. I was pretty sure what was one them, knowing when the last time I'd used 35mm film was but I still wanted to get them developed. The pic quality was awful due to the age of the film.

Also, yes, Walmart does still do film developing. My kids go to a camp in their middle school age so I buy them a disposable to take along. We develop at Walmart. It's much more expensive than it used to be! The last roll we got developed was about 6 years ago and it was $22'ish for 27 exposures. We got a few good pics and some very pricey pics of the ground :scared:

My 22 year old son is into photography and just bought a used 35 mm camera. I’m still trying to figure out why! Sounds like more of a pain and expense than it is worth! :confused3

Digital cameras are a definite upgrade from our film days, in my opinion!
I think it's like everything else. The things our generation was glad to see go, our children see as cool and vintage. My dd16 got a Polaroid a year ago or so. Takes such awful pics and hard to get any kid of good pic. Film is $$$. Yet, when she has a special occasion, that is the camera she pulls out. I'm still trying to figure out why as well!

I think it's like everything else. The things our generation was glad to see go, our children see as cool and vintage. My dd16 got a Polaroid a year ago or so. Takes such awful pics and hard to get any kid of good pic. Film is $$$. Yet, when she has a special occasion, that is the camera she pulls out. I'm still trying to figure out why as well!

Crazy kids!! :rotfl:

My friend is a professional photographer who shoots almost exclusively in film, and always recommends Indie Film Lab.

https://www.indiefilmlab.com/

I don't think digital is always an upgrade from a creative point of view. There is a special quality to film that the cold accuracy of digital can't replicate. Shooting with expired film adds another layer of unpredictability and visually interesting results. They each have their uses. But I still prefer the overall feel of film.

My friend is a professional photographer who shoots almost exclusively in film, and always recommends Indie Film Lab.

https://www.indiefilmlab.com/

I don't think digital is always an upgrade from a creative point of view. There is a special quality to film that the cold accuracy of digital can't replicate. Shooting with expired film adds another layer of unpredictability and visually interesting results. They each have their uses. But I still prefer the overall feel of film.

Yes its just like the vinyl versus CD, MP3 or now steaming. For some vinyl is the only way they will listen to music.

I use http://www.thedarkroom.com , they scan to high res and you can download them, and use dip and dunk tanks. Especially with expired film, I'd send it there to see what they can get off of things. No need to get prints either, they can go straight to digital, they do very good C-41 color negative as well as traditional black and white. indiefilmlab.com mentioned above is similar, but I've gotten better results from the chemistry at thedarkroom.com. You can order online and it goes postage paid to them, and you can download your scans online. I send probably 50-100 rolls per year to them.

Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, KS is also very good, especially if you have slide film. I find their slides come out by far the best.

Generally, the highest volume places will do the best work. Having older chemistry in continuous use actually leads to better developing results. They also have better technicians on their scanners. Wal-mart and similar just ship them out to central labs that don't do much business, and usually just chuck your negatives rather than send them back.

Yes its just like the vinyl versus CD, MP3 or now steaming. For some vinyl is the only way they will listen to music.
Quite aside from that concern, which is valid and one of the reasons I shoot film (besides being more deliberate about the process than digital), the actual resolution of film is still higher. Most good color film can resolve about 100-110 pixels per mm, so about 8-12 MP for 35mm film … not that much, but 6x7 medium format comes out to 42-50 MP, which is starting to get impressive, but 4x5 sheet film is north of 120 megapixels, and 8x10 above 250 megapixels of resolving power, with fine grained black and white film easily quadrupling that.

And because the optics for larger formats than digital are available in are better than for smaller cameras, even very old optics, and tilts and shifts are more available, for certain applications such as landscape, architecture, and high resolution product photography, film still handily outperforms digital and is still used for that purpose today. Digital is only now starting to seriously displace 120 format film, and it's going to be a long time before large format is really challenged.

Which is why the National Park Service a few years ago hired an 8x10 black and white film photographer for their permanent staff. And yes, that's literally Ansel Adams' old position. :)

Interestingly, consumer 35mm film is also seeing an uptick in sales in the last 3 years according to Ilford and Kodak Alaris, mostly from those under 35 years old. They've even re-introduced Ektachrome slide film, are looking into re-introducing Kodachrome (this time as E-6 process), and brought back a bunch of Super8 stocks, and started sending some films back into the US and European market that were until recently only available as cheap film to the far east. Some psychologists are postulating that it's backlash against everything being on the internet, which is possible I suppose, but I'm 39 and that's not why I use it.

One other film resurgence is in motion picture, especially larger formats. Dunkirk was shot on 70mm lazy 16 IMAX film, which pushes roughly 24k of resolution, and the Hateful Eight on 70mm was shot on … 70mm, though that was pulldown film. Certain depth of field effects are only available with really large image capture areas. Even the recent HBO/Sky miniseries Chernobyl ran their digital through a film simulation (of Kodak VISION3 500T) to give it a documentary look - it's very obvious if you know what to look for.

For all the film buffs (slide film especially), check out a movie called Kodachrome on netflix.
Made me want to go out and shoot some film again!

If you go on MPIX.com, there is a place to order film mailers (no charge for just the mailers).
Much better prints than Walmart.
That's actually where we got our wedding photos that guests took (disposable cameras) developed. When we bought the disposable cameras to put on the tables for the guests to use a month later our local Costco that still did the photos in house had their machine break. They advised us at that point in time once they broke they stayed broken. Walmart was stupid expensive (at least then) to develop the cameras so we shopped online.

We actually live in KS though we are about 2hrs north of where Mpix is located at. Easy to do the mailers, we got them back relatively quick, negatives given, and we opted to also get a disc made. They also told us when a camera had any issues like unable to develop or the camera wasn't fully used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter