When to tell potential employer about pregnancy?

How do you know if some one is going to be "Stellar"?? Remember we're going off of the interview and a piece of paper. believe me, we've had plenty of candidates that on paper seem like they would be great and turn out to be not so great.
Most interviews for teaching are more intensive than that. My interview for my current position was four hours. I taught a 45 minute lesson to students, met with the team I would teach with, met with administration, my references were called and written statements were looked at. You're right--you don't know from a piece of paper that they will be stellar, but hopefully an interview won't involve just a few questions via Skype and peek at a resume.

This is a case where I would "let my conscience be my guide". I, personally, would not feel comfortable getting hired if I knew I was pregnant and did not tell my employer.
Also, are you sure you want to get a job? You are moving soon, you are pregnant, you have a child already, your husband will be starting a new job, and school will start in August. It is already almost the end of June. I imagine you need to look for a house, get established with a doctor for prenatal care, find daycare for your child (if you are going back to work), and deal with tons of other things that come with moving. It all sounds extremely stressful even if you don't have a job! If I was in this situation and we could survive on Dh's salary, I wouldn't even consider getting a job right away!! I would probably wait and see if anything came up for the second semester of the school year. Teachers leave at all different times, so maybe you could start a job in January or beyond.
I hope everything works out for you.

Thankfully we're going back to an area that we have only been gone from for 1.5 years. This makes many things easier! We've been able to establish a lot from here! I'll go back to the doctor that delivered DS. New baby will go to the daycare that DS went to, an in home place. DS has been admitted to a special needs charter school. And we're already working with a realtor.

But, I have thought about staying home. Right now I'm 50/50 on staying home. Basically if a job comes through, great; if not, that's okay too!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:
Just an FYI. Illegal does not automatically equal criminal.

Criminal implies possible incarceration as a penalty. Other illegal behavior can result in a fine or some other sanction by the government in a non criminal way.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

whatever makes you feel better about yourself. Go for it.

This argument means nothing when your colleagues are dealing with real life.

Honestly this argument with so trivial

Sorrow drive & gun.

Longwinded and maybe I am feeding the trolls, but..

MickeySP, do you hire and manage people? Are you responsible for service or product delivery or project management?

I think that it is fair to say that in every organization there are roles that can weather an employee leave of absence better than others. In some cases a leave can significantly impact a project timeline and budget. Project set backs can be more than "inconvenient" and the financial implications can affect the livelihood of other employees and their families or people dependant on a given product or service. Like a household budget, when an unplanned expense crops up something has to give. Maybe there is an emergency fund, but maybe the company is really struggling and that fund has been tapped. Now what?

I applaud the OP for planning ahead and giving this decision so much thought. I think that it is a truly personal decision. Some women would not be comfortable "withholding" information about a pregnancy during an interview. For some that might be because the impact their foreseeable absence would have is too significant to leave unmentioned. It might be because they feel like they are being dishonest not to share an upcoming absence. It might be because they feel that withholding the information will negatively impact their relationship with the team down the road and stunt future career growth.

On the other hand, the woman being interviewed may NEED the job in order to feed the unborn child, may have been searching for a position for a long time and may have had no/few other interviews. She may feel that the needs of her family make the unnecessary sharing of her pregnancy too risky. If that's the case and she is comfortable speaking to that down the road that may be her only choice. There is no right answer.

As someone else mentioned, hiring managers are people too and I don't think anyone here is going out of their way to discriminate against a pregnant job seeker. A pregnant woman ultimately decides when and how to share the news of her pregnancy and likely has the ability to predict the reaction of the employer based on their industry and what they know of the employer.

To the OP, Congratulations on the pregnancy and move, it sounds like everything is coming together!

Honestly this argument with so trivial

Sorrow drive & gun.

I was wondering how long this "This is my last post" was going to last! :rotfl2:

Thankfully we're going back to an area that we have only been gone from for 1.5 years. This makes many things easier! We've been able to establish a lot from here! I'll go back to the doctor that delivered DS. New baby will go to the daycare that DS went to, an in home place. DS has been admitted to a special needs charter school. And we're already working with a realtor.

But, I have thought about staying home. Right now I'm 50/50 on staying home. Basically if a job comes through, great; if not, that's okay too!

That's so great that you have everything lined up so well. Like many others, I remember your many posts that spoke of moving back - glad you choose to do it! Good luck.

I think if you wait to tell them after they make you an offer, you will have a bit of a stigma attached to you. Fair or not. They will have a good idea that you knew you were pregnant when you interviewed, and not being upfront about it will make you look deceitful. Not a good way to start a job.

I also think you may be selling yourself short. Couldn't it be that your such a great candidate for the job that they won't be too concerned with your maternity leave?

So you're not done?

I'd like you to answer the question I posed before (and I was kind of surprised only one person answered)...

You're hiring for a position. You have two (or more) equally qualified candidates. Nobody "outshines" the other. However, one discloses (or is visibly showing) her pregnancy. Everything else being equal, does that fact not influence your decision?

So you're not done?

I'd like you to answer the question I posed before (and I was kind of surprised only one person answered)...

You're hiring for a position. You have two (or more) equally qualified candidates. Nobody "outshines" the other. However, one discloses (or is visibly showing) her pregnancy. Everything else being equal, does that fact not influence your decision?

As much as I'd like to say it wouldn't, it might. If it came down to the point where I was looking for a way to decide between two people and I couldn't, pregnancy might weigh on my mind. But only if I were ready to throw a dart at the dartboard to choose. I actually recently did some hiring and did choose the candidate who was pregnant - things were pretty close but she seemed like she was in for the longterm (well, other than the year break) and the other, while he wouldn't be leaving for maternity leave seemed more likely to move on to another position quickly. We went for the longterm. Of course, we could be wrong about both of them (she could run after coming back and he could have stayed for years), but you have to go with what you know/think.

As much as I'd like to say it wouldn't, it might. If it came down to the point where I was looking for a way to decide between two people and I couldn't, pregnancy might weigh on my mind. But only if I were ready to throw a dart at the dartboard to choose. I actually recently did some hiring and did choose the candidate who was pregnant - things were pretty close but she seemed like she was in for the longterm (well, other than the year break) and the other, while he wouldn't be leaving for maternity leave seemed more likely to move on to another position quickly. We went for the longterm. Of course, we could be wrong about both of them (she could run after coming back and he could have stayed for years), but you have to go with what you know/think.
I think that's the point people are trying to make... no one (ok, maybe very few) would turn down an outstanding candidate because of a pregnancy. BUT, if the candidates are equal (or maybe I should say 'even'), that could be a deciding factor, law or no law.

Really unless you own the company and it's your money on the line you really just don't know any better and really aren't fit to know what you would do. Trust me, I know what you would do if you were.

I think that's the point people are trying to make... no one (ok, maybe very few) would turn down an outstanding candidate because of a pregnancy. BUT, if the candidates are equal (or maybe I should say 'even'), that could be a deciding factor, law or no law.
+1

And they aren't trying to discriminate, they simply trying to hire a qualified person with a ton of other stipulations breathing down their necks

I'm in the recruitment end of HR. as I said, the last 2 years I primarily deal with college graduates, from BS to P hd candidates, I have YET to come across any candidate that I didn't have 3 equally qualified applicants.

That's why we have weeks of interviewing and even after interview we've got to vote on who to hire because the candidates still are good. that's why I hate also when folks come in and then say, "oh I have to take 2 weeks vacation next month". Seriously!!

I wish it was that simple, where I get an applicant that was sooooo spectacular that I could easily dismiss the other 20. Heck that would make my job easy. lol

I got burned pretty badly by a woman who took a coveted job in my department, then shortly after announced she was pregnant. She never came back from maternity leave, and the position was taken from my department. That meant all her work got dumped on other people permanently from then on.

So when subsequent jobs came up, I made sure I drilled people very carefully on their long-term aspirations and their availability to the job. Our daily hours are this: Can you be here reliabily? Can you work nights and weekends? Do you plan to be in this job long-term?

I didn't get burned again.

I'll answer. Yes, all other things being equal, a pregnant candidate would get lower priority.

+1

That's why we have weeks of interviewing and even after interview we've got to vote on who to hire because the candidates still are good. that's why I hate also when folks come in and then say, "oh I have to take 2 weeks vacation next month". Seriously!!

l

That's pretty much a disqualification if candidates says they "need" a vacation within the first few months. And if it's disclosed after hiring, don't bother coming back after your vacation. You've made it clear what's more important to you.

That's so great that you have everything lined up so well. Like many others, I remember your many posts that spoke of moving back - glad you choose to do it! Good luck.

Thanks! We started the process in January and were able to tour the school and meet with the staff. We don't want him to end up at a public school that might not be able to meet his needs. We figured it wouldn't hurt to get everything set up just in case!

Yup! Sorry if I sounded like I was disagreeing with other posters. You just said that only one person had answered you, so I did. I agree with the general thoughts on this thread.

I'll answer. Yes, all other things being equal, a pregnant candidate would get lower priority.

That's pretty much a disqualification if candidates says they "need" a vacation within the first few months. And if it's disclosed after hiring, don't bother coming back after your vacation. You've made it clear what's more important to you.

Vacations don't overly bother me. Some people who are gainfully employed and trying to live their lives and pre-booked vacation plans. They paid for flights and things that they can't get their money back on. Sometimes it's just poor timing. I have had a few new hires tell me they have had vacation plans for months and was it a problem? I hired someone this past February who had her wedding and honeymoon planned for this summer. She's very skilled and has been a great addition. No way I was going to let 2 weeks get in the way.

My DD, who is currently employed and has been actively been looking for a new job is trying to live her life and she does have a short vacation booked in August. If she ever gets an interview somewhere, she will certainly inform them of that in the interview.

Vacations don't overly bother me. Some people who are gainfully employed and trying to live their lives and pre-booked vacation plans. They paid for flights and things that they can't get their money back on. Sometimes it's just poor timing. I have had a few new hires tell me they have had vacation plans for months and was it a problem? I hired someone this past February who had her wedding and honeymoon planned for this summer. She's very skilled and has been a great addition. No way I was going to let 2 weeks get in the way.

My DD, who is currently employed and has been actively been looking for a new job is trying to live her life and she does have a short vacation booked in August. If she ever gets an interview somewhere, she will certainly inform them of that in the interview.

I would agree that vacations happen. In some circumstances, the person applying for the job is really sought after by the employer and otherwise gainfully employed. After being extended an offer, I do not think it is strange for someone to have a planned vacation. Especially in industries where the administrative staff starts get 15 days of PTO a year and upper management 25-30 days of PTO.

I had a situation last year where I accepted a job but had a two week vacation planned and wanted to give proper notice. It was almost six weeks from acceptance to when I started the new position. If they had asked me to cancel my vacation, I may have considered staying at my old job which I liked very much as well.

Huh. I was correcting a statement made by another poster. I don't see how that deserves to be laughed at.

Just because it's real life doesn't change the nature and classification of the law. I didn't post an opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter