When to Plan Details??

MamaBear58

DIS Veteran
First timers to both Hawaii and Aulani. I've booked flight and accommodations for next July, but we won't tell our kids until Christmas Day. Can I wait until January to plan things at Aulani and on Oahu or do things book that quickly? The kids will be 12 and 9 so I want them to have a say in the details. Anything a must book now? We will be in Waikiki for 3 nights, followed by the POA cruise, followed by 4 nights at Aulani. Thanks!

Can't answer for the cruise at it's been a long, long time since we've done that. If you want to do the luau at Aulani, especially the VIP viewing, which I'd recommend, you want to watch for the dates to open as they can fill fairly fast. You can get Pearl Harbor tickets 60 days in advance and they go quickly. It appears they release the later morning into the afternoon tickets online and hold the earlier tickets for walk ups. Cabanas and casabellas at Aulani are limited so if you are interested in either, you should probably call 5-6 months ahead or so. Other than that, nothing else I can think of requires booking particularly far in advance.

There are some tours at Kualoa Ranch that fill up. Some are limited capacity and only offered once a day. If there are any must-do tours there, better to book early.

We did organized tours to Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor from our Waikiki hotel and booked both about 5 months (or so) in advance with no issue.

I agree that the casabellas and cabanas are important to book well in advance.

There are some tours at Kualoa Ranch that fill up. Some are limited capacity and only offered once a day. If there are any must-do tours there, better to book early.

We did organized tours to Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor from our Waikiki hotel and booked both about 5 months (or so) in advance with no issue.

I agree that the casabellas and cabanas are important to book well in advance.
How early do you think the Ranch Tours Fill? We are also going in July.

How early do you think the Ranch Tours Fill? We are also going in July.

Hard to say. July is a busier time of year than when we went in September. But for example, the VIP Movie Tour only ran once a day when we were there and was capped at 12 people. I know you can book now for July, and you pay for it now but you can change or cancel for a refund up to 24 hours out.

Actually I booked it and you do not pay until arrival. There is a 24 hour cancellation so it’s a win win situation They only hold a card for no shows

If you decide to get rental car, book now. Prices almost always increased towards the travel dates. And they may run out during peak seasons. It's an island after all.
Book but don't pay. Then recheck weekly. If it drops, re-book.

thanks...don't have much experience with renting cars so this is helpful

Esp in Hawaii. My one advice always is : book the rental car once you know your dates. Obviously make sure you don't pay upfront. The price fluctuates so much (even more so in Maui). I once booked mine for $80/ week 10 months out and when I checked 2 months out, anything left was $700! And look at the review too. Don't go with those with really bad reviews (e.g., Advantage). Gas is expensive so don't get talked into unnecessary "upgrades". You end up paying more.

It's (sometimes) cheaper to book by week instead days. And always locate gas station leaving Aulani for HNL airport. Plan for it. And let's not get into traffic jam. Allow enough time to get back to HNL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter