When to Buy the Gold AP?

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
I asked this on the Theme Parks forum with no success. I thought I'd ask here since the Gold AP is a DVC-related ticket.

My DH and I will be going to WDW in November and are planning on getting our first AP (a Gold since we will be going November this year and October next year). I'm thinking about going ahead and buying them since there have been historical price increases in February. But I'm also worried that a special discount might happen between now and November. If I purchase but don't activate and then a discount happens, can I get a refund for the difference? I did this with a regular ticket before, but not sure if I could do it with an AP.

What makes you think their will be a discount? They don't typically do that.
If anything the price will increase.

FWIW, I do not think there will be any special AP discounts / deals in 2020. Crowds are up. There are no new parks opening in the Orlando area that might draw visitors away. There just isn't any reason for DIsney to offer ticket discounts..

IMO (and that's all it is, my opinion), there is a greater risk of prices going up than any special discounts on tickets. YMMV.

I’ve been debating this very thing and come to the conclusion to get the gold AP now. My original plan was to buy a 7-day hopper ticket from a discount outlet and then convert it to a gold AP at the end of November. I’m figuring the ticket discount received will be far less than any potential price increase for an AP. We’ll be going with our son’s family (our granddaughter mainly), so I’ll have him get their discounted tickets by the end of January, since February is historically a period when they raise ticket prices.

I’ve been debating this very thing and come to the conclusion to get the gold AP now. My original plan was to buy a 7-day hopper ticket from a discount outlet and then convert it to a gold AP at the end of November. I’m figuring the ticket discount received will be far less than any potential price increase for an AP. We’ll be going with our son’s family (our granddaughter mainly), so I’ll have him get their discounted tickets by the end of January, since February is historically a period when they raise ticket prices.
Is this still a thing? If I buy the Canadian discounted ticket and wait till I enter the park, when I upgrade my ticket, will they use the "value" that I paid? Or the value of the 10 day park hopper on that specific day?

Is this still a thing? If I buy the Canadian discounted ticket and wait till I enter the park, when I upgrade my ticket, will they use the "value" that I paid? Or the value of the 10 day park hopper on that specific day?

I was referring to buying tickets from a discount broker such as Undercover Tourist. From what I’ve read, they’ll give you the full value as if you purchased the ticket directly from them plus tax, so you only pay the difference plus tax between the AP and ticket.

I have no idea about the Canadian discount ticket. I think it would depend on if the ticket was marked differently. If it looks like a “normal” ticket, I’d guess your chances are good.

Theme park attendance is rocking.
Rise of the Resistance is a smash hit.
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway rail opens 3/4
Ratatouille this summer.
Guardians and Tron to follow late this year or next.

I would not expect a discount to be announced for all those reasons.
Of course I could be wrong.

I was referring to buying tickets from a discount broker such as Undercover Tourist. From what I’ve read, they’ll give you the full value as if you purchased the ticket directly from them plus tax, so you only pay the difference plus tax between the AP and ticket.

I have no idea about the Canadian discount ticket. I think it would depend on if the ticket was marked differently. If it looks like a “normal” ticket, I’d guess your chances are good.

Yes, this is still allowed and when I was there in October, I didn’t even have to go in and activate. They bridged it for me and the CM they do that now as a matter of practice since most people would go in and out anyway.

In terms of Canada tickets, I don’t know but I assume you would get gate price too.

I am going this October (late....29-Nov 3) and possibly next October. If we go next October, it will be earlier in the month so *if* I were to get an AP this year, it would still be good. I am planning to purchase a 6-day PH from UCT within the next few weeks because I know that I will use that this year. By the time we travel, I will have our plans for next year nailed down and then I can decide if I will upgrade it to an AP or not. I sure wish you could link them in MDE and upgrade them without having to go to the park. That would be a great "perk".

I think I will go ahead and get them next week. I always buy from Disney with Disney GCs that I save 16-19% on. I need to buy the GCs this weekend to get the savings.
I am going this October (late....29-Nov 3) and possibly next October. If we go next October, it will be earlier in the month so *if* I were to get an AP this year, it would still be good. I am planning to purchase a 6-day PH from UCT within the next few weeks because I know that I will use that this year. By the time we travel, I will have our plans for next year nailed down and then I can decide if I will upgrade it to an AP or not. I sure wish you could link them in MDE and upgrade them without having to go to the park. That would be a great "perk".
This has me thinking. Is there a reason you aren’t going ahead and buying the AP? Is it because you don’t know for sure if you’re going next year or is it to try to save on ticket costs?

This has me thinking. Is there a reason you aren’t going ahead and buying the AP? Is it because you don’t know for sure if you’re going next year or is it to try to save on ticket costs?
It is a little bit of both. I am not 100% I am going next year and I would like to buy *a* ticket before the inevitable price increase. I have the funds available for the 6-day park-hopper and since I know that I will use that ticket anyways, I am comfortable buying that before the prices go up. I know that the AP price will probably go up too, but if I buy the AP now and then don't end up going next year, I will be out a lot more than I would have saved.

My potential trip next year may be with my friend who is eligible for military discounts so, depending on my plans for 2022, I may have her get a military ticket for me and then upgrade that one if it is eligible. I want to keep my options open. I don't need Photopass this trip and that's really the only perk of an AP that I can't get with my DVC card.

What makes you think their will be a discount? They don't typically do that.
If anything the price will increase.

In 2017, there was a great discount on the Gold AP. I purchased Park Hoppers via Undercover Tourist and then had Guest relations bridge the discount to the AP upgrade. It was a really sweet deal at the time. But I agree, not likely this will happen again anytime soon.

If you call DVC guest services, you can upgrade your ticket (and have/keep it linked in MDE) before going in October (though you may still need to activate your DVC AP ). I was very pleasantly surprised to find they could even upgrade my tickets to FL resident AP’s, not just DVC gold.

I asked this on the Theme Parks forum with no success. I thought I'd ask here since the Gold AP is a DVC-related ticket.

My DH and I will be going to WDW in November and are planning on getting our first AP (a Gold since we will be going November this year and October next year). I'm thinking about going ahead and buying them since there have been historical price increases in February. But I'm also worried that a special discount might happen between now and November. If I purchase but don't activate and then a discount happens, can I get a refund for the difference? I did this with a regular ticket before, but not sure if I could do it with an AP.
I would definitely buy the gold AP now before price increases. Every time I have gone against my gut and started with “discount tickets” to save money, and then upgrade later, I have lost money & regretted it. Just buy now! 👍🏻

If you upgrade a 6 day ticket at the end of your visit to a GP is the expiration date of the first use of the original ticket? Or the date of the upgrade?
I hope that makes sense.
Thanks in advance

If you upgrade a 6 day ticket at the end of your visit to a GP is the expiration date of the first use of the original ticket? Or the date of the upgrade?
I hope that makes sense.
Thanks in advance

The expiration date will be one year from the date the ticket was first used. Not from the date it was upgraded.

Steve

If you call DVC guest services, you can upgrade your ticket (and have/keep it linked in MDE) before going in October (though you may still need to activate your DVC AP ). I was very pleasantly surprised to find they could even upgrade my tickets to FL resident AP’s, not just DVC gold.

I would definitely buy the gold AP now before price increases. Every time I have gone against my gut and started with “discount tickets” to save money, and then upgrade later, I have lost money & regretted it. Just buy now! 👍🏻
Update--I bought two Gold APs the other night. I am excited to be a first-time annual passholder! We are even planning a third trip in between the November and October trips. Probably won't buy again for another four years though, especially thinking about how much they will be the next few years. I'll have to start saving now for my next ones!

Update--I bought two Gold APs the other night. I am excited to be a first-time annual passholder! We are even planning a third trip in between the November and October trips. Probably won't buy again for another four years though, especially thinking about how much they will be the next few years. I'll have to start saving now for my next ones!

Congratulations! 🎉 It cracks me up that you are already doing what most AP’s do... planning more trips to use with your pass!! 😆 Enjoy!! 😉

The expiration date will be one year from the date the ticket was first used. Not from the date it was upgraded.

Steve
Question....
Now that Disney has assigned dates to the park-hoppers, if I buy a 6-day park hopper with a starting date of October 25, 2020, link it to MDE, and then call to upgrade it to a Gold AP (say, in March 2020), will the "start" date of the AP still be when I first use it? Or will it be based on what the "start" date of my original PH ticket was set at?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!