When new cruise dates are released...

Surgie2

DIS Veteran
We are looking ahead to an Alaskan cruise in a couple years. Are cruise dates released about 18 months in advance? Is there a way to be notified of the release dates? And does booking begin at 12:01 am on the release date?

We are planning to buy a future cruise placeholders for the Alaskan cruise while on a cruise in 2020. I am hesitant to initially turn the placeholder over to our TA if the actual booking needs to be done at midnight or the early morning hours. I am hoping to get three specific cabins so am I better off booking placeholders on my own and then transferring to the TA?

18 months is a good rough estimate.

Check here or on the disneycruiselineblog for announcements. DCL occasionally sends out email announcements but who gets them, if anyone, seems to be almost random.

Booking generally begins at 8AM EST.

We are looking ahead to an Alaskan cruise in a couple years. Are cruise dates released about 18 months in advance? Is there a way to be notified of the release dates? And does booking begin at 12:01 am on the release date?

We are planning to buy a future cruise placeholders for the Alaskan cruise while on a cruise in 2020. I am hesitant to initially turn the placeholder over to our TA if the actual booking needs to be done at midnight or the early morning hours. I am hoping to get three specific cabins so am I better off booking placeholders on my own and then transferring to the TA?

We are planning the same, placeholding while cruising in February for an Alaskan Cruise. I hadn’t considered needing to book right away is it because of the cabins you want that you’re watching? Or do Alaskan cruises sell out that fast?

We are planning the same, placeholding while cruising in February for an Alaskan Cruise. I hadn’t considered needing to book right away is it because of the cabins you want that you’re watching? Or do Alaskan cruises sell out that fast?

People generally try to book on opening day or as close to it as possible for 1) best cabin selection and 2) best pricing. Unlike other lines which have “sales” (really they inflate the price just before they announce a sale), Disney generally with very few exceptions (and then they are very last minute and limited) offers the best pricing on opening and they only increase from there.

I am hoping to get three specific cabins so am I better off booking placeholders on my own and then transferring to the TA?
That depends on the timing - when is your 2020 cruise and when opening day will be for the Alaska cruise you want. Placeholders, like any booking, can only be transferred to a TA within 30 days of the original booking. So if your 2020 cruise is in January but dates aren't released until March for the Alaska cruise you want, you'll need to transfer the placeholder before booking Alaska.

That said... I don't think Alaska cruises sell out on opening day. So being the absolute earliest to book shouldn't be an issue to wait until the TA can do it.

Enjoy your cruises!

I reserved two family verandah cabins on July 7 this year for a Merrytime cruise in November 2020. I think booking opened to the public(no past cruises) on June 13. So just three weeks later there were very few connecting cabins left, which we want. Maybe because it’s a shorter cruise or maybe because it’s a Thanksgiving Cruise but availability of family cabins in general was much less than I expected.

That depends on the timing - when is your 2020 cruise and when opening day will be for the Alaska cruise you want. Placeholders, like any booking, can only be transferred to a TA within 30 days of the original booking. So if your 2020 cruise is in January but dates aren't released until March for the Alaska cruise you want, you'll need to transfer the placeholder before booking Alaska.

That said... I don't think Alaska cruises sell out on opening day. So being the absolute earliest to book shouldn't be an issue to wait until the TA can do it.

Enjoy your cruises!

So even if I purchase a placeholder with no date attached to it, must I transfer the cruise anyway? Our cruise is November 2020 and Alaska will be July 2022. Another option is to not transfer to a TA at all. Our TA said she can only get a minimum amount of perks for clients through DCL compared to other cruise lines.

DCL releases itineraries/date in three blocks per year on this rough schedule:
  • January through mid-May released in October
  • Rest of May through mid-September released in February/March
  • Rest of September through December released in May/June
So, for the sailing months in 2021, it would be October 2019, February/March 2020, and May 2020, thus anywhere from 15 to 19 months before.
Also, realize that current the normal DCL procedure is to announce itineraries and dates in these blocks via a press release on DCL web and social media sites on a Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, but actual booking (with pricing) is not available until the next week based on Castaway Club membership level:
  • On that Monday, Platinum Castaway Club members can begin booking online or via phone at approximately 8 am ET
  • On that Tuesday, Gold Castaway Club members can also begin booking online or via phone at approximately 8 am ET
  • On that Wednesday, Silver Castaway Club members can also begin booking online or via phone at approximately 8 am ET
  • On that Thursday, booking online or via phone is open to the general public at approximately 8 am ET
For anyone wanting to apply a placeholder, they can only book via calling (or having their TA call if the placeholder is held by one). Also, the online booking (including seeing pricing), can only be done by logging in through your Castaway Club account on the DCL site, not through your general DCL account.

Last edited:
DCL releases itineraries/date in three blocks per year on this rough schedule:
  • January through mid-May released in October
  • Rest of May through mid-September released in February/March
  • Rest of September through December released in May/June
So, for the sailing months in 2021, it would be October 2019, February/March 2020, and May 2020, thus anywhere from 15 to 19 months before.
Also, realize that current the normal DCL procedure is to announce itineraries and dates in these blocks via a press release on DCL web and social media sites on a Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, but actual booking (with pricing) is not available until the next week based on Castaway Club membership level:
  • On that Monday, Platinum Castaway Club members can begin booking online or via phone at approximately 8 am ET
  • On that Tuesday, Gold Castaway Club members can also begin booking online or via phone at approximately 8 am ET
  • On that Wednesday, Silver Castaway Club members can also begin booking online or via phone at approximately 8 am ET
  • On that Thursday, booking online or via phone is open to the general public at approximately 8 am ET
For anyone wanting to apply a placeholder, they can only book via calling (or having their TA call if the placeholder is held by one). Also, the online booking (including seeing pricing), can only be done by logging in through your Castaway Club account on the DCL site, not through your general DCL account.
wow thank you! This helps my obsessive planning :)

So even if I purchase a placeholder with no date attached to it, must I transfer the cruise anyway? Our cruise is November 2020 and Alaska will be July 2022. Another option is to not transfer to a TA at all. Our TA said she can only get a minimum amount of perks for clients through DCL compared to other cruise lines.
Yes, it must be transferred within 30 days even if it is a placeholder. As of right now, placeholders cannot be converted to actual cruise reservations online. You'll have to get on the phone to do it, which could mean being on hold for hours. If you transfer the placeholder to your TA, she's the one who'll be on hold, not you.

Yes, it must be transferred within 30 days even if it is a placeholder. As of right now, placeholders cannot be converted to actual cruise reservations online. You'll have to get on the phone to do it, which could mean being on hold for hours. If you transfer the placeholder to your TA, she's the one who'll be on hold, not you.

This is exactly why I continue to use a travel agent who is experienced with Disney cruises. My agent usually sends an e-mail to her clients after new cruises are announced, asking us to let her know if we would like her to book anything for us when booking become available. I send her an e-mail indicating the cruise I want, the room category I want, and whether I am applying a placeholder. She responds later in the day with the cabin, the cost, and the date by which we must pay the deposit. For my past 3 Mediterranean cruises, I was able to get opening-day pricing with the onboard-booking discount without spending any time on the phone.

So after my 2020 cruise (first DCL) then I'll be silver, correct? My son will also be on that cruise so we'd both be able to book on a Wednesday for the 2022 cruise. But could I book a cabin for my daughter (which I'll have purchased a placeholder for in 2020) even though she will not have taken a Disney cruise?

But could I book a cabin for my daughter (which I'll have purchased a placeholder for in 2020) even though she will not have taken a Disney cruise?
After one cruise, you will be a Silver Castaway Club member and will be able to book 1 cabin for yourself and 1 cabin for your son on the Silver booking date.
You will not be able to book a 3rd cabin to be occupied by people who are not Castaway Club members until general booking opens.

I hope the WBPC 2021 is included in the next release. Usually there is an upcoming cruise watch thread, but I couldn't find it?

So after my 2020 cruise (first DCL) then I'll be silver, correct? My son will also be on that cruise so we'd both be able to book on a Wednesday for the 2022 cruise. But could I book a cabin for my daughter (which I'll have purchased a placeholder for in 2020) even though she will not have taken a Disney cruise?
Is this an adult son living at a different address? If so, you should each be able to book 2 future cruises or placeholders. In that case you should be able to book a placeholder for yourself and one for your daughter. Those would need to be used used on the same future cruise. Your son's placeholder(s) could be used on a separate cruise date if he wanted to.

Is this an adult son living at a different address?

Yes, adult son lives at different address. Thanks for clarifying that he could use his future cruise booking on a different cruise than mine. I think we’ll just get those three future cruises booked on day 1 and go from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter